Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lifestyle Newcastle

Lifestyle Newcastle

Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lifestyle Newcastle

Been offered a job 20 mins north of Newcastle near Williamtown/Newcastle airport.

Currently in NW Brisbane. Anyone know if the lifestyle will be better? The pay on offer is the same as Brisbane.

Would there be much traffic if I was commuting north to south 50km by car?
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lifestyle Newcastle

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Been offered a job 20 mins north of Newcastle near Williamtown/Newcastle airport.

Currently in NW Brisbane. Anyone know if the lifestyle will be better? The pay on offer is the same as Brisbane.

Would there be much traffic if I was commuting north to south 50km by car?
I quite liked the look of Newcastle.

I was offered a job there many years ago but did not take it up.

It used to have a good music scene and has some good surf beaches....I believe it is now the biggest coal port in the world......also close to the Hunter wine area.

It was also the site of Australia's worst earthquake when over a dozen people were killed in 1989...but not sure if it is still a risk.
'Kapri', who posts on here lives in Newcastle so should be able to give you any information you need.

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 11th 2016 at 10:11 am.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch for that part of the world ...... stunning.

I know you mentioned Newcastle but Williamstown is close to Port Stephens and I know it better. Do a search for Port Stephens or Nelson Bay. It is now my go to place for a short break from Sydney.

There's actually quite a bit to do. Beaches galore, the fishing is good, golf, cycling, walking is amazing. etc. There's a couple of good restaurants.

I hired a little boat there on my last trip for the day and put putted around Port Stephens.

Nelson Bay is a decent sized town. There is a shopping mall at Salamander Bay. Not totally in the woods.

The airport is nearby with flights to the East Coast cities. Newcastle about 40 mins away. Hunter Valley about 40 mins away to pick up your wine stocks.

Small enough to have that holiday feel but big enough to keep yourself entertained.

I would actually consider living up there but the train between Sydney and Newcastle takes an hour and a half longer than it should. Thats the problem you get when trains are stuck on 60km/h.

Last edited by Beoz; Feb 11th 2016 at 7:12 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:25 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I would actually consider living up there but the train between Sydney and Newcastle takes an hour and a half longer than it should. Thats the problem you get when trains are stuck on 60km/h.
The two main problems with the Newcastle/Sydney line are:

it stops at every single station on the way and
it doesn't actually go as far as Newcastle..

The area around Newcastle is beautiful though.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
The two main problems with the Newcastle/Sydney line are:

it stops at every single station on the way and
it doesn't actually go as far as Newcastle..

The area around Newcastle is beautiful though.
Oh yes. Aware of the problems. It just needs fixing.

I don't understand in 2016 how a train between NSW's 2 largest cities can take 3 hours when the drive takes 1 and a half hours.

Nuts.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Any indication on commute times towards that area? Say from Port Stevens to Williamtown? Likely to be much traffic?

I gather the area is fairly rural as well?
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Any indication on commute times towards that area? Say from Port Stevens to Williamtown? Likely to be much traffic?

I gather the area is fairly rural as well?
Williamstown is quite rural with an airport. The drive to Port Stephens is rural and bush. Port Stephens is villages and towns and urban running along the Port. 20 mins drive. Dual carriage way now for most of it so traffic is no issue. I do recall once, before they finished the dual carriage, there was a bit of a jam getting out of Port Stephens after Easter when all the holiday makers were heading home.

Google will tell you travel time and what goes on around there. I want to tick the 4 wheel dune riding and the camel treking off the bucket list
Old Feb 11th 2016, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So it gives you 2 options for living, depending on what you want. Newcastle is OK too for a minor city. They've been doing the place up. I get up there for a few days of work each year. There seems to be a number of bars and restaurants on the waterfront (where the Hunter River runs). The surf beach looks nice too. I did go up there about 5 years ago for a night on the beers. From what I recall there was a good number of pubs and bars in a single area. Can't recall where that was but it was near the surf beach as that was where we were staying.

From Williamstown, Newcastle and Port Stephens are about 20 mins. They would be your 2 living options depending on what tickles your fancy.

BTW, if you are googling stuff, Port Stephens is an area. Nelson Bay is the main town.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Traffic is a concern. Another concern (and no offense whatsoever), is the worry that crowds of assholes from Sydney would descend on it on the weekends/holidays. A sort of Cotswolds.

It also looks a little pricey compared to up here.

The idea of waterfront access is nice though. Something I haven't got here.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Traffic is a concern. Another concern (and no offense whatsoever), is the worry that crowds of assholes from Sydney would descend on it on the weekends/holidays. A sort of Cotswolds.

It also looks a little pricey compared to up here.

The idea of waterfront access is nice though. Something I haven't got here.
Traffic? Did I say there was continual traffic. I think not.

Yep, holiday crowds over Xmas and Easter. The locals call it crowds, still seems pretty sparse to me, but personally I like it, as the rest of the year can be dead quiet ........... if that's your thing great, but I couldn't do it all year round.

I've never rented in either place, only holiday lets and hotels so I don't know what it costs.

What are you looking at and where?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
Traffic? Did I say there was continual traffic. I think not.

Yep, holiday crowds over Xmas and Easter. The locals call it crowds, still seems pretty sparse to me, but personally I like it, as the rest of the year can be dead quiet ........... if that's your thing great, but I couldn't do it all year round.

I've never rented in either place, only holiday lets and hotels so I don't know what it costs.

What are you looking at and where?
Nothing south or west of Williamtown. Looking at Port Stevens - the whole bay area and north, north-east.

Is the cost of living similar to Brisbane?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nothing south or west of Williamtown. Looking at Port Stevens - the whole bay area and north, north-east.

Is the cost of living similar to Brisbane?
I have no idea. I have never, nor will ever live in Brisbane, unless of course someone throws a massive wad of cash at me to do so to pay for the pain.

I have never lived and paid rent or a mortgage in Port Stephens (not Stevens) either.

Bear in mind your big expense will be rent or a mortgage, I would find it hard to believe that a non city area of NSW would be more expensive than Brisbane. I guess it depends on where in Brisbane. Where in Brisbane are you comparing to?
Old Feb 13th 2016, 9:50 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I now live in Newcastle but while we were waiting for our home to be ready we stayed with my mother in Nelson Bay for a month, a fortnight of which we commuted into Newcastle to get DD2 to school. I have also visited Nelson Bay almost every Easter for the 5/6 years. It is a truly wonderful spot. The drive to Williamstown is dead easy and doesn't really feel very rural as you will be in a continual stream of traffic, albeit fast moving traffic on a mix f single and dual carriageways.

Port Stephens is magic. If we could live there, we certainly would. Locals complain about the "Sydney hoards" in summer and Easter but otoh they concede they bring money to the area. Nelson Bay marina is quite lovely on a summer's evening when "the hoards" are in town. It is the kind of place you never tire of - endless and different beaches, an amazing wildlife filled harbour, and a fantastic climate. Nelson Bay is a cute enough wee town and between it and Salamander (8 mins away toward Williamstown) you pretty much have everything you need.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I now live in Newcastle but while we were waiting for our home to be ready we stayed with my mother in Nelson Bay for a month, a fortnight of which we commuted into Newcastle to get DD2 to school. I have also visited Nelson Bay almost every Easter for the 5/6 years. It is a truly wonderful spot. The drive to Williamstown is dead easy and doesn't really feel very rural as you will be in a continual stream of traffic, albeit fast moving traffic on a mix f single and dual carriageways.

Port Stephens is magic. If we could live there, we certainly would. Locals complain about the "Sydney hoards" in summer and Easter but otoh they concede they bring money to the area. Nelson Bay marina is quite lovely on a summer's evening when "the hoards" are in town. It is the kind of place you never tire of - endless and different beaches, an amazing wildlife filled harbour, and a fantastic climate. Nelson Bay is a cute enough wee town and between it and Salamander (8 mins away toward Williamstown) you pretty much have everything you need.
You mention wildlife. The only place I've seen a koala wandering around in suburbia.

I reckon I'd live in Shoal Bay if I had to live in PS. The vista with the mountain in the background and turquoise waters kind of reminds me of Thailand.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This vista

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxO-XyRq1pqMihBGsFfyrBHvSLBUmYKFhrrDLyp8VYObIpTovLqLwP ARChew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.