Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Life Down Under - Tasmania

A Life Down Under - Tasmania

Old Dec 12th 2003, 9:35 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Life Down Under - Tasmania

Sorry to start ANOTHER thread but I felt I just had to.

Firstly I must put on record that I don't know anyone within that family or connected to it....but Oh my Lordy.

The Dad - A whopper of the highest order. Did he have a clue about anything....lazed around generally looking like a gormless waste of space that he proved to be.

The Mother - Proper English workhorse...But if that's your idea of a better lifestyle love then take it from me...you can keep it. 12 hour days in THAT town....jeeesh.

The Son - Felt sorry for the kid, obviously no mates or social life at home. First glimpse of a skirt and goes all boggle eyed. We all *knew* she wasn't interested. He didn't alas and burned his bridges with the letter. Looked to have settled well as kids do but that town looks like something out of the Twilight Zone.

Why the hell do these families put themselves in a position where they are going to be made to look like fools on National television ?....gotta be the moolah...hasn't it ?

For me the line of the show and let's call it a show was the waster of a husband on camera...."I thought after 21 years of marriage to her I knew her, but obviously I don't know her at all".
My God...did he make me cringe. If the Aussies down under are watching these programmes God only knows what they think of us Brits.

Can we have a real family please ? I know it's not good tv but you know a married couple say 30ish with two YOUNG kids.

Maybe the Skeggs clan will do it for us next week in Perth.

To sum up....comedy television at it's best.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

There's another thread going with 70 posts.

Bicheno - not the twilight zone, I've been there, you might have been to the twilight zone though and know better.

Mother - deriving great job satisfaction, improved social status etc from the shop. She derives it, you mightn't in the same situation but I don't think that will matter to her.

Son - typical teenager with usual teenage problems. Seemed like a nice kid, as did Nadine and the mother. Father, granted, didn't come across 'too flash'.

Migration put the relationship under pressures it obviously hadn't been under before - hence his comment.

I thought last night's family was about as close to a 'real' family (whatever that is) as you are going to get given the circumstances under which they are going to be filmed.

OzTennis
Old Dec 12th 2003, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Gotta tell you, I know an awful lot of families and there's not too many with a husband like that.

He seemed to have gone into the whole emigration process with his eyes closed or certainly blinkered.

If he had not been bothered to research the committment and time that the running of a reasonably large store needs before travelling, their marriage looked doomed from the outset.

He didn't honestly believe that his wife was going to run that place 364 days a year by herself while he went and played lego in the garage ?

My parents ran a Sub Post Office / Newsagents for a few years and I'm aware more than most the strain it puts on a relationship. Early starts, late finishes soon starting eating away at the marriage.

You can't just go 11,000 miles on a whim.

3 Legs

Originally posted by OzTennis
There's another thread going with 70 posts.

Bicheno - not the twilight zone, I've been there, you might have been to the twilight zone though and know better.

Mother - deriving great job satisfaction, improved social status etc from the shop. She derives it, you mightn't in the same situation but I don't think that will matter to her.

Son - typical teenager with usual teenage problems. Seemed like a nice kid, as did Nadine and the mother. Father, granted, didn't come across 'too flash'.

Migration put the relationship under pressures it obviously hadn't been under before - hence his comment.

I thought last night's family was about as close to a 'real' family (whatever that is) as you are going to get given the circumstances under which they are going to be filmed.

OzTennis
Old Dec 12th 2003, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Three Legs
Gotta tell you, I know an awful lot of families and there's not too many with a husband like that.

He seemed to have gone into the whole emigration process with his eyes closed or certainly blinkered.

If he had not been bothered to research the committment and time that the running of a reasonably large store needs before travelling, their marriage looked doomed from the outset.

He didn't honestly believe that his wife was going to run that place 364 days a year by herself while he went and played lego in the garage ?

My parents ran a Sub Post Office / Newsagents for a few years and I'm aware more than most the strain it puts on a relationship. Early starts, late finishes soon starting eating away at the marriage.

You can't just go 11,000 miles on a whim.

3 Legs
Yep, 'fair dues'.

I think the problem with the father was that despite his comment at the end that you have to be adaptable, he thought he would have 'his engineering' and the wife would have the shop. It seemed an ideal setup for them (from a distance) of shop, house at back, big garage for his 'engineering'. You could see whatever life there was in him draining as it dawned on him that they were both needed in the shop and he wasn't going to get much engineering. He noticeably perked up when all his tools and equipment arrived.

One of my criticisms of this type of series is that they need to show some sort of follow up at the end. For all we know things could be 'hunky dory' now. My guess is that they will settle in and make a go of it somehow. Even if they got a part time assistant in the shop and after all they could cut down on the opening hours a bit if they had another source of income to supplement the shop. Just thinking out aloud!

OzTennis

BTW It really is stunning down that coast - Bicheno, Coles Bay, Swansea etc down to Hobart.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Default Re: A Life Down Under - Tasmania

That's a fair point and totally accepted.

However, I'd never leave myself open to being filmed in a situation where it's going to come back and haunt you.

People that court attention need to realise that others will pass judgement (It's a human trait), good or bad.

Take the Beckhams...they love it.

I honestly wish them all the best and hope it works out but jaysus he was something else.

3 Legs

Originally posted by Gra.B
I'd be more concerned what they think after reading posts like this.

I'm sure if I filmed you for 3mths I could show you in whatever light I wanted.... perhaps a stuck-up, arrogant twat? Might not even need 3mths...

Reminds me why I don't post much these days..