Reload this Page >

Life in the country - WA!

Life in the country - WA!

Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

english teacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in the country - WA!

Hi,

Thinking of going country as a teacher because I can. We live in Twickenham at the moment... need a change!

Me, wife and two girls - one of 4 years and one of 11 months. So hard to find info about what life is like out there... especially for families.

What's it like in the country?- and this is open to all who live there, not just teachers!

Don't think we will go Remote ... but an extra $19000 a year is tempting...

And for something completely different... did anyone do any relief teaching when they landed in Perth? Any tips? Just in case I can't get a definite position outside of Perth.

thanks all

Jeff
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in the country - WA!

Originally Posted by english teacher
Hi,
What's it like in the country?- and this is open to all who live there, not just teachers!

Somewhere like Denmark would be fantastic.
Somewhere like Collie would be horrible.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Yes. Id live in Denmark any day. Just the pies in the bakery would get me there
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:00 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case I can't get a definite position outside of Perth.
I reckon the'll be rolling the red carpet out for you if you wanted to go rural.

But as Amazulu said make sure you end up in a nice place like Denmark, Margaret River, Albany etc rather than Meekatharra or Newman or South Hedland.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:11 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Geraldton 450km North of Perth and myself and my wife are both teachers, we have 3 kids 9, 3 and 18 months and have never looked back since moving here 12 months ago. We love the place, it is really family friendly and people are lovely. It is right on the coast with a Mediterranean climate so you have to like the beach!! What do you teach they were crying out for Secondary School teachers at my school this year.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon the'll be rolling the red carpet out for you if you wanted to go rural.

But as Amazulu said make sure you end up in a nice place like Denmark, Margaret River, Albany etc rather than Meekatharra or Newman or South Hedland.
I think your find places like Denmark, Margaret River, Albany etc. have a rather long waiting list to get into.

Not sure how it works for a migrant coming into the system. But for tecahers who are already here (and who have permanet contracts) get first choice on Vacancies that are availble within the state system. Graduate tecahers and teachers on temporary contracts then get left with the shite nobody else wants.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leftfield
I think your find places like Denmark, Margaret River, Albany etc. have a rather long waiting list to get into.

Not sure how it works for a migrant coming into the system. But for tecahers who are already here (and who have permanet contracts) get first choice on Vacancies that are availble within the state system. Graduate tecahers and teachers on temporary contracts then get left with the shite nobody else wants.
I'd imagine there are MANY Perth-based teaches who would LOVE to work in Demark, Albany etc never mind anyone else. Anyone with a government job in those areas is laughing.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:45 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Yup, it's well and good to say "don't go to a shit hole" but all the jobs are in the places like the Pilbara, Kimberley and the Midwest. PLenty of shitholes to choose from in all those regions!

Life in in one of those regions in WA... hmmm... I've had internet access 14 days out of the last 21 (good going! Woo!), we've had 3 power cuts this weekend, lasting around 30 mins each, no bins collections for the past fortnight (it's Aussie day mate!) and about 5 people in town are currently suing the Shire as they keep breaking bones while walking their dogs (we have no street lights on many roads and lots and lots of lovely potholes)

If a parent doesn't like that you detained their little precious at lunch for bad behaviour etc, they get to shout abuse at you in the supermarket (if you have one!) and 3 months of the year you can't use your garden due to the mozzies, heat, high UV, snakes etc etc.

Plus points? High pay, subsidised housing (usually not great though) and lots of sports for sporty people to play. Really friendly staff, generally very well behaved kids, often lots for young kids to do but not much for teens.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:50 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thinking of going country as a teacher because I can. We live in Twickenham at the moment... need a change!

Me, wife and two girls - one of 4 years and one of 11 months. So hard to find info about what life is like out there... especially for families.

And for something completely different... did anyone do any relief teaching when they landed in Perth? Any tips? Just in case I can't get a definite position outside of Perth.

thanks all

Jeff
Don't move to an outback desert hell hole no matter how money they offer you or how cheap the housing, go south of Perth like Albany , Bunbury Margert river Denmark, if you can't get a job there maybe try maybe try Country VIctoria or NSW, plenty of nice country places there,
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:58 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mohogony
Don't move to an outback desert hell hole no matter how money they offer you or how cheap the housing, go south of Perth like Albany , Bunbury Margert river Denmark, if you can't get a job there maybe try maybe try Country VIctoria or NSW, plenty of nice country places there,
Yup, that's where I'll be off to next!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:33 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

thanks all

Jeff
Hmmmm... Twickenham to the outback for 'a change'. Are you insane !!

Going rural in Australia is not like going to rural Wales. You could a bloody long way from anything and anywhere.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - anywhere in the SE corner is good, even as far out as Esperance.

I would be careful about going north (apart from Geraldton) as some of the country towns were a bit odd! Kalgoorlie was a bit of a strange town as well but at least there is a bit more going on there.

I would imagine that if the locals don't like you then you may not feel very comfortable in your new surroundings.

Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

english teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies thus far!

I was brought up in South Africa, so am used to floods and drought and snakes and spiders and mozzies! And scorching sun.

Roamer, where are you based? I guess you don't like it much?

Howard, I teach English and History - secondary qualified but have taught years 6-8 in the UK in a prep school.

Mohogony, I know that the South West is the go, but am being realistic. I also like the idea of Geraldton.

I already have PR, so am a free agent. I'm also going to look at ... yep, private schools! Basically, I need a job to go to. Simple as that.

Koalakim, it sounds like you speak from experience regarding 'odd towns'!

Anyone out there teach in country Victoria or New South Wales? What's it like then... following on from Mohogony's tip and Roamer's keenness!

Jeff
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:00 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

I was brought up in South Africa, so am used to floods and drought and snakes and spiders and mozzies! And scorching sun.

Howard, I teach English and History - secondary qualified but have taught years 6-8 in the UK in a prep school.

Mohogony, I know that the South West is the go, but am being realistic. I also like the idea of Geraldton.

I already have PR, so am a free agent. I'm also going to look at ... yep, private schools! Basically, I need a job to go to. Simple as that.

Anyone out there teach in country Victoria or New South Wales? What's it like then... following on from Mohogony's tip and Roamer's keenness!

Jeff
It is a good idea to do relief work before you commit to anything, try a couple of different schools to see where you feel most comfortable and to get to know the system. Definitely try the private system you get to choose where you work and you are employed by the school or affiliated church association which means that they can employ you if you have the right qualifications, docs and experience regardless of how long you have been in the country. I got a job working in the peel region following a phone call and an interview with the deputy principal. I did relief work for a couple of weeks which led to a 1 term long service leave contract and onto a permanent position. I have never worked in the state system but I have lots of friends that have and by all accounts I am onto a winner. Apparently we get longer holidays, higher pay, better facilities, very supportive parents, very well behaved kids and 100% support from the management particularly in terms discipline.

Please note, my comments are based solely on my experience in my school/area, I am not suggesting that there are not great state high schools around I know there are just not in this area.

Last edited by ACE; Jan 31st 2010 at 9:10 am.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:02 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Jeff
l'm not knocking WA, The S/W is suposed too be really nice but l've never been there so l can't judge, but lf it was me l would rather live in country Victoria or NSW, overall the countryside is nicer while most of WA is desert and bigger population means more facilities. But every state has some really nice rural places to live and some dreadful parts to advoid. l think l've heard a few bad things from past posters about Geralton and crime. if you go to NSW advoid the mid west and far west of the state like Willcania and Bouke area, but pity much everywhere in county VIctoria is good.

Last edited by mohogony; Jan 31st 2010 at 9:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.