Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Assurance (renting UK property while in OZ)

Life Assurance (renting UK property while in OZ)

Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

alandnic is on a distinguished road
Default Life Assurance (renting UK property while in OZ)

Like a lot of people at the moment, we are planning to rent out our UK property so that we can head on out to OZ. According to my financial advisor the main problem we would face would be if something were to happen myself or my wife while in OZ, we would be considered to be "outside geographic bounds" and as a result we could not claim off our current life assurance policy.

Anyone got anything to say on this?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all
Default Re: Life Assurance (renting UK property while in OZ)

You should find being in Oz is ok with most insurers.

I'm a mortgage advisor and lots of the application forms ask whether you intend to live outside: uk, west europe, australia/new zealand or America -

They are looking at high risk areas ie, south africa, iraq etc where you have an increased risk of needing your policy.

Ring your insurer and check with them if they won't cover you there are loads that will. It's just a case of check with them, as I say loads of insurers include Oz in with UK - no problems.

If you need any more help just give me a shout.

Becky
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becky723359
I'm a mortgage advisor and lots of the application forms ask whether you intend to live outside: uk, west europe, australia/new zealand or America -
If the policy was taken out before migration was contemplated, they cannot withdraw coverage or cancel it just because the holder moves overseas.

Unless there is some clause in the policy wording that allows this => take a look at the policy.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

We are off to Perth in 4 weeks and we have 2 policies with BUPA and Legal & General that said it will be fine as long as they are paid from the current U.K account, we also got this in writing, hope this helps James.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:05 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alandnic
Like a lot of people at the moment, we are planning to rent out our UK property so that we can head on out to OZ. According to my financial advisor the main problem we would face would be if something were to happen myself or my wife while in OZ, we would be considered to be "outside geographic bounds" and as a result we could not claim off our current life assurance policy.

Anyone got anything to say on this?
Read what your life insurance policy says. We have one with Legal & General and we are covered even though we now live in Oz. The policy says which countries you can live in and still be covered.

Gina
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

My policy excluded any time outside the UK other than on short genuine holidays.

Check the policy wording.