Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life after 18 months in Perth

Life after 18 months in Perth

Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:06 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life after 18 months in Perth

Originally Posted by Sye
Good honest post...

The same could be written about Adelaide...apart from i'll admit, Perth is "nicer".
Adelaide is a far prettier city than perth, and friendlier.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

city life is city life though wherever you are in the world there will be problems with drugs and crime in the city.there is more to wa than perth though, why not take a look up north and the south west before going back??
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon most people's problems could be solved by making new friends, and moving areas.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Adelaide is a far prettier city than perth, and friendlier.

Have you been in Adelaide recently ?
Its not very pretty believe me.

We went to Perth and are relocating there soon found it much better than Adelaide but thats just our opinion

Di
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:14 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I reckon most people's problems could be solved by making new friends, and moving areas.
I personally think there is too much emphasise based on making friends = happiness. Be happy with yourselves, and each other, and take less time wanting to bond/be part of a group. It makes you feel more settled within yourself and less of an alien through not having a big group of friends. Most other expat friends abroad tend to be 'acquaintances' the people you connect to because you are from overseas and the one thing you have in common is the fact you expatriated to the same country. Making friends with Australians, well, not sure - am not in that country yet. After a few years, if you have more then three friends you know you can rely on in an emergancy, then you are lucky. Don't feel a failure for having any less.

Phew, got that out the system !

Last edited by Claire&Richard; Apr 15th 2006 at 3:19 am.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
I personally think there is too much emphasise based on making friends = happiness. Be happy with yourselves, and each other, and take less time wanting to bond/be part of a group. It makes you feel more settled within yourself and less of an alien through not having a big group of friends. Most other expat friends abroad tend to be 'acquaintances' the people you connect to because you are from overseas and the one thing you have in common is the fact you expatriated to the same country. Making friends with Australians, well, not sure - am not in that country yet. After a few years, if you have more then three friends you know you can rely on in an emergancy, then you are lucky. Don't feel a failure for having any less.

Phew, got that out the system !

Well said - we have not made any aussie friends here as they are superficial in our opionion and dont give a damn where you came from or your background - the bottom line - we are just different - example - went to a birthday party - it was very far from where we lived so had to drive a distance - arrived at the front door and the host did not even invite us in - we stood very awkwardly in the entrance hall - till my husband said (quietly) "I am out of here - are you coming or should I come and pick you up later" - only after about 10 minutes did she invite us in and offered us a drink - to me this was very odd - at home we would have had all the families around - barbie going - drinks flowing - kids in the swimming pool and on the jumping castle and just all having a good time - when I told an aussie girl in the office of this experience, she looked at me strangly and said "that is what we do here - you drop the kids off and come back later" - that is when I knew "we were different".
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:49 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capacity
Well said - we have not made any aussie friends here as they are superficial in our opionion and dont give a damn where you came from or your background - the bottom line - we are just different - example - went to a birthday party - it was very far from where we lived so had to drive a distance - arrived at the front door and the host did not even invite us in - we stood very awkwardly in the entrance hall - till my husband said (quietly) "I am out of here - are you coming or should I come and pick you up later" - only after about 10 minutes did she invite us in and offered us a drink - to me this was very odd - at home we would have had all the families around - barbie going - drinks flowing - kids in the swimming pool and on the jumping castle and just all having a good time - when I told an aussie girl in the office of this experience, she looked at me strangly and said "that is what we do here - you drop the kids off and come back later" - that is when I knew "we were different".
Welcome to OZ and in particular Perth! I'm a white New Zealander and have struck similar shit, so welcome to the 'not quite good enough club' LOL

They can be a real snotty rude bunch of pricks when they want to be.

Hope your experiences improve
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capacity
Well said - we have not made any aussie friends here as they are superficial in our opionion and dont give a damn where you came from or your background -
Thats kind of what i love about the Aussies. Why should they care

I think its more superficial to care about someones background.... Or am i just strange
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

juri is an unknown quantity at this point

We will probably return to the UK in 2007 but there are many things we will miss. Perth has many good things as well as bad things to discover and will for us make a fantastic potential place to retire to. Everyone is different and the above are only my individual observations.

In summary any new wannabe migrants should consider what they have in the UK. In my humble opinion if you are leaving many good friends and close family behind, have teenagers and do not have a lot of money to bring you should consider your reasons very very carefully. If deciding to come thoroughly research everything especially jobs, schools, houses and areas to live. Once here give it a good 2 years before making any long term decisions.

PJK[/QUOTE]
Excellent post. We have been here over 2 years and I agree with everything you've written.
Our kids are younger ( 5 and 1) and that is the major reason for us staying here. I think they would still be better off here than in the UK (schooling and drugs).
The adventure disappears after a while, it doesn't take long to visit all the sights then it is down to day to day living.
I think we would have the same standard of living, job hassles, financial situation etc as we would if we went back to the UK.
This is a better location, cleaner and better weather but, it's sterile and, after 2 years you realise how good the friends you left behind were.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hevs
Thats kind of what i love about the Aussies. Why should they care

I think its more superficial to care about someones background.... Or am i just strange
It's superficial to treat people like they don't matter unless you can see an advantage in knowing them. It is also insulting and demeaning to treat human being in this manner. If you can't see that then you need to grow up.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by juri
This is a better location, cleaner and better weather but, it's sterile and, after 2 years you realise how good the friends you left behind were.
Good point. And you realise how empty and shallow this place is.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
It's superficial to treat people like they don't matter unless you can see an advantage in knowing them. It is also insulting and demeaning to treat human being in this manner. If you can't see that then you need to grow up.
Such a mature presumption from someone i've never met

The point i was trying to make was that Aussies don't care about your back ground etc and IF they like you they DON'T CARE what you do or where you live or how much money you have they just like you for what you are.

Anyway i'm off to watch Peter Pan.......
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Names like pull hards by any chance?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

oh, and tart
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hels
original post deleted, so quote of post also deleted
You are a ****wit, but then you have already proved that point

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 17th 2006 at 7:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.