Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Levels/Higher certificate

A Levels/Higher certificate

Old Mar 9th 2003, 11:02 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Levels/Higher certificate

We are hopefully moving to Perth in July when my son will have just completed his first year of A Levels.

From what I can gather he will need to continue his second year to achieve his Higher Certificate.

Has anyone had experience of this?

How easy did your child find it and do you have any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Steph
Old Mar 10th 2003, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Levels/Higher certificate

My son will be slightly younger - he's completing his GCSEs this year. I've contacted some of the schools - both state and private - and from what I can glean, they look at each case on its merits.

To do his first year highers (entry in year 11) my son will need a good selection of GCSEs,

to go straight into year 12 (as your son will be looking to do), he would need high grades in English, Maths, at least 1 Science, a foreign language at GCSE, preferably AS level. Otherwise you may find he has to sit the year 11 exams in October/November.

You might also find one or two 'oddities' with regards to school years. For example, one of the schools I've contacted start their year 11 in the October (i.e. a term before you would expect). It may be the case for year 12 also.

He might also consider the option of doing an International Bacculeriat (or however its spelt) - I know that's something a number of the schools now offer as an option to highers

To compound this, it appears each state/territory has its own system. I've only looked at Sydney/NSW. It may well be different for WA

If you find out more let me know.

Best wishes

Kev