Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"

Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"

Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:28 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"

Anyone there? Anyone been there?

By the "The Bush", I mean living, and perhaps, working outside the capital cities.

There's talk of "Regional Visas".

How did you get on? Were you recieved well by your community? Work, life, love, happiness; that sort of stuff.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"

Originally posted by Megalania
Anyone there? Anyone been there?

By the "The Bush", I mean living, and perhaps, working outside the capital cities.

There's talk of "Regional Visas".

How did you get on? Were you recieved well by your community? Work, life, love, happiness; that sort of stuff.
Look for posts by Bundy who spent a year in Nundle and cannot wait to get back.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Bundy's, your partner is an Aussie with connections in Nundle? I guess that help a lot?
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't posted for a while but I am living and working in a remote area. I have been in Oz for 5 months and I am working in the Pilbara WA. Is that remote enough for you? The pluses are that there are tax concessions, no traffic on the road and it never (or hardly ever) rains - that's also a minus. This is a very unspoilt part of the world and is vast and beautiful. I have seen some amazing sights such as eagles up close and road kill can be a cow which has strayed on to the road. The skies are sensational and in general the wages are good. However the downside is that it is constantly hot (doesn't really cool down at night up here)and we might get a cyclone any day now, that means that the air con is belting out most of the time to make life bearable so bills are high, I have paid up to 133 per litre for fuel, food is expensive and there is not much choice. It is hard to get things done if you are working in a business, you can't buy a daily newspaper until after 1.30 pm and it is very expensive. Flies are a constant as are other insects and your house will prob get infested with white ant and the like. You will find it hard to keep clean as red dust gets everywhere but what the .... I am not houseproud. It is not unusual for me to drive 800 kms on my day off just for something to do. The heat makes it very difficult to actually be too active - hence I am not running too far. Oh yeah and I would prob pay a hundred bucks for a decent cup of coffee. However I am really glad that I have had an opportunity to work in this part of the world and do not want to come across as a whinger. I am on my own and so you can sometimes feel a bit isolated but a lot of people are in the same boat.

E
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:22 am
lynsteve

Cool

Some friends of ours came out to Narranderra about 10 hours drive from Adelaide. This garage owner wanted a mechanic, so he sponsered our friends for two years, it was the only way they could get in. They now live in Brissy and haven't looked back. They were looked after by everyone, but only a small town, about 10 years behind the cities.

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by grubelice
I haven't posted for a while but I am living and working in a remote area. I have been in Oz for 5 months and I am working in the Pilbara WA. Is that remote enough for you? The pluses are that there are tax concessions, no traffic on the road and it never (or hardly ever) rains - that's also a minus. This is a very unspoilt part of the world and is vast and beautiful. I have seen some amazing sights such as eagles up close and road kill can be a cow which has strayed on to the road. The skies are sensational and in general the wages are good. However the downside is that it is constantly hot (doesn't really cool down at night up here)and we might get a cyclone any day now, that means that the air con is belting out most of the time to make life bearable so bills are high, I have paid up to 133 per litre for fuel, food is expensive and there is not much choice. It is hard to get things done if you are working in a business, you can't buy a daily newspaper until after 1.30 pm and it is very expensive. Flies are a constant as are other insects and your house will prob get infested with white ant and the like. You will find it hard to keep clean as red dust gets everywhere but what the .... I am not houseproud. It is not unusual for me to drive 800 kms on my day off just for something to do. The heat makes it very difficult to actually be too active - hence I am not running too far. Oh yeah and I would prob pay a hundred bucks for a decent cup of coffee. However I am really glad that I have had an opportunity to work in this part of the world and do not want to come across as a whinger. I am on my own and so you can sometimes feel a bit isolated but a lot of people are in the same boat.

E
Hi!
Very interested in where you are exactly?!
As a kid (1991/92) I lived in Bidjadange (200 km south of Broome) and Nullagine, each for about 10 months.

Most of the things you say I can relate to by the way!

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:52 am
Banned

E
Bit flamin' warm there this time of year isn't it! Nice warm days pleasant nights May to Sept. Been agate hunting yet?

A picture:
Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:55 am
Banned

Originally posted by lynsteve
Some friends of ours came out to Narranderra about 10 hours drive from Adelaide. This garage owner wanted a mechanic, so he sponsered our friends for two years, it was the only way they could get in. They now live in Brissy and haven't looked back. They were looked after by everyone, but only a small town, about 10 years behind the cities.
Map ref: A2
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:12 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bit flamin' warm there this time of year isn't it! Nice warm days pleasant nights May to Sept. Been agate hunting yet?

A picture:
lol
He's more likely to be here!
Attached Thumbnails Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"-ships.jpg  
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:15 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

or here
Attached Thumbnails Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"-newman.jpg  
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Map ref: A2
Megs

Lovely picture. I was going to ask where you get your maps from but I see the link now for wilmap.com.au. I was puzzled by the reference to Narrandera being so far from Adelaide as I knew it was in NSW.

OzTennis

We had 5 years in Bendigo, Victoria which was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:19 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets Hear From Poms Living In "The Bush"

Originally posted by bondipom
Look for posts by Bundy who spent a year in Nundle and cannot wait to get back.

Ahhh...Nundle. I shall tell you all about my year in the middle of nowhere when I get back from my next meeting (stupid work, gets in the way!). Watch this space!
Old Jan 13th 2004, 9:20 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Bundy's, your partner is an Aussie with connections in Nundle? I guess that help a lot?
Yep, he's a Nundle boy. It does help. But I have other friends who have gone off to the middle of nowhere quite happily.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
Hi!
Very interested in where you are exactly?!
As a kid (1991/92) I lived in Bidjadange (200 km south of Broome) and Nullagine, each for about 10 months.

Most of the things you say I can relate to by the way!

I am more Port Hedland way. It's not pretty! Drove up to Marble Bar the other week - just as it had run dry. The pub with no beer I think it was. Marble Bar has the hottest recorded temperatures in Australia. Up here most days at this time of year reach the 40s. Anyway at least I have some amenities around here. I guess some people live on a cattle/sheep station. That would be rather too remote for me. It is a total contrast to the green fields of Somerset. Oh yeah - anyone else heard of skimpy bars?

E
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I am more Port Hedland way. It's not pretty! Drove up to Marble Bar the other week - just as it had run dry. The pub with no beer I think it was. Marble Bar has the hottest recorded temperatures in Australia. Up here most days at this time of year reach the 40s. Anyway at least I have some amenities around here. I guess some people live on a cattle/sheep station. That would be rather too remote for me. It is a total contrast to the green fields of Somerset. Oh yeah - anyone else heard of skimpy bars?

E
And they get p****d off in the pub with the number of people who ask to see their Marble Bar. 'It's down in the bloody river bed', is usually the weary reply.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.