Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:20 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Let's have a ''Top Tips'' thread..

Originally Posted by Ceri
Also, get used to swimming with sharks - cut the legs off a few rottweilers and chuck them in the water ( this is getting sick now! lol)
BRILLIANT Ceri !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by carolinegorka; Aug 27th 2004 at 12:28 am.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:39 am
Badge

If you are lucky enough to have a small front room, as well as a "living room" in your "3 bed semi", put all your best furniture in and call it the ''formal'' lounge room.

On NO account ever actually use, or be seen to use it.

Smash all the walls downstairs to create a large room. Practise having a "family room and kitchen".

(You'll get the living room, rumpus room when you arrive in Australia). For the time being, it will be outside in the space allocated to your road or back garden.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:43 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Badge
Men

In London, when walking down the street , rotate your head 180 degrees behind you every so often, this will acclimatise you to the visual delights of the beach and immediate environs....

BM
Married men. Slap yourself occasionally whilst outside on errands. This will get used to the punishment meted out when you are
are walking along the beach front with your wife.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:50 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Prepare for your new working environment by arriving late, leaving early and spending Friday afternoon down the pub.
Do as little work as possible while you're there and expect your boss to praise you.

I'm loving it
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

continuing the driving theme, overtake in the slow lane - this ensures you can get by those slow people who are sitting in the fast lane. while coming down the short curvy slip road... just barge, and carve your way out at 40 k's in front of a car who is doing 100k's , do not at any time adjust your speed on the sliproad for the flow of traffic on the motorway - it's your right of way. once you get onto the motorway, immediately cross the lanes to get to the fast lane, as you don't want to sit in the slow lane. Do not look in your rear view mirror at any time.
At night on busy dark roads - put on you high beam for th cars in front of you, and then switch on your fog lights so the rear traffic can also get dazzled. Take a pair of binoculars with you, these are handy for spotting well marked out road signs. When you get to an endangered roundabout do what the locals do, pick any lane, any lane will do .. play with your indicator randomly, left , right it doesn't matter.. "ooh I have flashing lights on my dashboard., now where am I going"

When it suddenly pours down with rain - slam on your brakes as hard as you can.. this will ensure the others behind you have to do the same.. and will cause some lovely skids. When in the rain , trucks please carry on driving at the fastest speed possible up the arses of cars.. as you can just stop your 500 ton vehicle just like that into the car in front of you, use him as your brake - you need no stopping distances.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ceri
continuing the driving theme, overtake in the slow lane - this ensures you can get by those slow people who are sitting in the fast lane. while coming down the short curvy slip road... just barge, and carve your way out at 40 k's in front of a car who is doing 100k's , do not at any time adjust your speed on the sliproad for the flow of traffic on the motorway - it's your right of way. once you get onto the motorway, immediately cross the lanes to get to the fast lane, as you don't want to sit in the slow lane. Do not look in your rear view mirror at any time.
At night on busy dark roads - put on you high beam for th cars in front of you, and then switch on your fog lights so the rear traffic can also get dazzled. Take a pair of binoculars with you, these are handy for spotting well marked out road signs. When you get to an endangered roundabout do what the locals do, pick any lane, any lane will do .. play with your indicator randomly, left , right it doesn't matter.. "ooh I have flashing lights on my dashboard., now where am I going"

When it suddenly pours down with rain - slam on your brakes as hard as you can.. this will ensure the others behind you have to do the same.. and will cause some lovely skids. When in the rain , trucks please carry on driving at the fastest speed possible up the arses of cars.. as you can just stop your 500 ton vehicle just like that into the car in front of you, use him as your brake - you need no stopping distances.

Hey, I thought this was top tips for Oz? Not London!!

Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hels
Hey, I thought this was top tips for Oz? Not London!!

Good idea go to London to practice your Aussie driving skills.. in fact just let your children drive, or maybe your dog , they probably can do it better than some of the locals here.

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 27th 2004 at 1:07 am.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:38 am
Badge

Originally Posted by jayr
This one's a bit complicated so here's some explanation first. I still can't help but convert into pounds, it just comes naturally. The easy way to get roughly the right number is (based on $2.5=1 GBP) to multiply the dollars by 4 and lop off the last number (i.e. divide by 10). For example $12 becomes 4*12 =48 then divide by 10 = GBP4.80, OK get it? Right now the tip:

Remind your wife that when converting $ to GBP, dividing the dollar amount by 4 is not the same as multiplying by 4/10 (as above). Her $100 haircut did not therefore cost GBP25, it cost GBP40; her new $80 shoes were not a snip at GBP20, they cost GBP32 and her $120 jeans were not good value at GBP30, they cost GBP48 f*****g pounds! You may then ask her if she has been applying the same logic to all purchases for the last two years.
BIGGEST TIP OF ALL

you shouldn't be dividing by 2.5 anyhow...unless you are spending GBP from an UK account....

take your Aussie income and divide by UK income....this is the approx ratio you should be using...if it is negative, or less than 1, then you should never have migrated. If it is higher than 1(like mine) you did well to come to Straya..

(How good am I?) Do I get an OBE now?

BM

Old Aug 27th 2004, 1:53 am

BIGGEST TIP OF ALL

you shouldn't be dividing by 2.5 anyhow...unless you are spending GBP from an UK account....

take your Aussie income and divide by UK income....this is the approx ratio you should be using...if it is negative, or less than 1, then you should never have migrated. If it is higher than 1(like mine) you did well to come to Straya..

(How good am I?) Do I get an OBE now?

BM
How could it be negative? You might just qualify for a happy meal.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:03 am
Badge

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
How could it be negative? You might just qualify for a happy meal.
sorry; a fraction man, a fraction....

eg for me AUS100.000 / GBP30,000 = 3ish - this is the rate I use...I am quids(or dollars in)

for a London banker working in Aussie Maccas:

AUS20,000/GBP100,000 = fraction - don't come to Aus!!!

AUS45,000/GBP17,500 = 2.5 the real rate, as you say, for an average bod....come to Australia but it may only be same sh*t, shiner bucket...

BM

Last edited by Badge; Aug 27th 2004 at 2:15 am.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Spend half of the year filling the swimming pool because of the heat evaporating the water, and then the other half of the year having to empty the blighter because it rains and rains and rains and rains

Whisky
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Australians aren't any taller than the average Pom, so why is it when you buy a pair of trousers (pants) the legs are 6 foot long, when they should really have that part of material around the top half to cover the important bits instead of everything hanging out of the top.

Whisky
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:27 am

Update your CD collection to aussie standards before you come.
Visit Woolies and search through the bargain bins for any rock albums from before 1999.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:30 am

sorry; a fraction man, a fraction....

eg for me AUS100.000 / GBP30,000 = 3ish - this is the rate I use...I am quids(or dollars in)

for a London banker working in Aussie Maccas:

AUS20,000/GBP100,000 = fraction - don't come to Aus!!!

AUS45,000/GBP17,500 = 2.5 the real rate, as you say, for an average bod....come to Australia but it may only be same sh*t, shiner bucket...

BM
London bankers, don't come to Aus if you intend to get a job working in an Aussie Maccas.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whisky
Spend half of the year filling the swimming pool because of the heat evaporating the water, and then the other half of the year having to empty the blighter because it rains and rains and rains and rains

Whisky
Are you a mindreader? I was just thinking that this very morning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.