Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

!8 mths of being in Oz!!

!8 mths of being in Oz!!

Old May 21st 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default !8 mths of being in Oz!!

Ive already done an intro on the barbie one as absolutely no idea where i should post!!

Im jude & live in Strathpine near brisbane. i emigrated here 18 mths ago from Gloucester ( im actally welsh though!) with my hubs simon, duagher megy 2 & Stepson Karl 11

Im still struggling to settle as i miss my friends & family very badly & find people her are a bit odd about friendships

m looking to meet new friends & start having some fun!!
Old May 24th 2007, 3:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!

Originally Posted by megansmummy
Ive already done an intro on the barbie one as absolutely no idea where i should post!!

Im jude & live in Strathpine near brisbane. i emigrated here 18 mths ago from Gloucester ( im actally welsh though!) with my hubs simon, duagher megy 2 & Stepson Karl 11

Im still struggling to settle as i miss my friends & family very badly & find people her are a bit odd about friendships

By time you have reached 24-36 months you will feel much better, trust me.
Old May 24th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean they are a little bit odd about friendships???
Old May 24th 2007, 7:06 am
lol
Forum Regular

lol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant future

I understand megansmummy !!! you do met many people but not everyone is your cup of tea !! if you know what i mean.... i met some strange people when i first emigrated but if you hang in their you will meet girls who are your sort.
Old May 24th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
what do you mean they are a little bit odd about friendships???
As LOL said they are a little strange. Cant explain it but they dont really want to be bothered as much as us brits. I dont think they are as loyal & cos they are so laid back its hard to plan things too!!

Im just speaking from experience though, you may have more luck!
Old May 24th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

As LOL said they are a little strange. Cant explain it but they dont really want to be bothered as much as us brits. I dont think they are as loyal & cos they are so laid back its hard to plan things too!!

will be more aware though now though, so thank you. x
Old May 24th 2007, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

We've been here only a few months, have joined the Brisbane British Club (BBC), fairly new group, have been to one of the meet ups last month which was a bit of a laugh and have made some friends through there. Theres a meet up this sunday at the Pig & Whistle at around 12 if you fancy coming along. http://brit.meetup.com/246/
Old May 24th 2007, 10:34 am
lol
Forum Regular

lol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant future

we are heading to the mooloolaba area, we arrived in perth and i had been here 8 wks hubby had started work and kids had gone to school, i was so lonely and bored and was really missing my friend. There was a british expats ladies coffee met and i decided to go.. now its not something i would of done in the uk but i had no need to. it was the best thing i did i found a bunch of girls and we have been friends ever since and my time in perth got better them them on. Does anyone know if there is a ladies met for megansmummy ?? please pm and let her know.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:40 am
lol
Forum Regular

Is there a ladies coffee meet in your area ?? if not you should start on up ?? would anyone be interested ??
Old May 25th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lol
Is there a ladies coffee meet in your area ?? if not you should start on up ?? would anyone be interested ??
lol - we will be in the area at the end of june and I would be interested in a coffee morning. A bit of a way off yet, but just to put my hand up this really.
Old May 25th 2007, 4:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

So do you find them shallow ?
I dont think they are as loyal & cos
Old May 25th 2007, 4:57 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
So do you find them shallow ?
Yes, everyone in Australia is shallow.....

What do people mean when they say "them"? Do you mean the whole of Australia? Or just the few people you have met.

It's easy to blame a country or the people that live in that country when things don't go the way you've planned. But ask yourself the question if the same thing happened in the UK - would you say, "oh, it's because they're British". Personality overrules nationality if you ask me. I can't see how you can lump in 20 million people together.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:01 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Hi Megansmummy. We have been in Brisbane about 20 months (Antney, Lisa and daughter Phoebe). Lisa has made many friends since arriving here and a large number have come from playgroups and activities that Phoebe attends. Her circle of friends is a good mix of Aussies, Brits & Kiwi's and they are always meeting up for coffee & shopping.

Send her a PM if you be interested in coming along to one of these meet ups.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:24 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Keep trying Megans mummy, I'm sure you'll click with some people eventually. I've been very lucky in that I've fallen in with a bunch of mum's at my girls school at they are just on my wavelength. I had 7 of them round at my new house this morning and they bought champagne to celebrate the fact that we've bought our first aussie home. They are mainly aussies, a south African and a brit. Anyone moving to the Adelaide hills is welcome to come along to our coffee mornings on a Friday.....

Lou
xx
Old May 25th 2007, 5:30 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Ive already done an intro on the barbie one
as absolutely no idea where i should post!!

Pleased to meet you Jude. I believe I posted my two penn'th when you were asking about getting to know Australians on the Barbie forum.
I hope you find someone worthy of friendship soon. I've been here 18 months also and I'm still chipping away at the friendship thing too. I think we need to keep on trying. I'm going out for drinks with a bloke I did my studying with tonight. Really nice guy. It could turn out to be a regular thing. Who knows what's in the future.

I admire you for asking people on here for help and support. I'm sure you will have a friend or two very soon. They might not be Aussie friends just yet, but like I say; who knows what's in store for us. It's in our own hands though.

Good luck Jude!

Take a sad song, and make it better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.