Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:01 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by collybabe24
i have a question for the other way round, we came here 2 years ago, and luckily we paid our debts off, the child tax credit people over paid me so i'm still paying that off, unfortunately i have no work anymore and we cant afford to live here so we have just sold house and have enough to pay for fees, flights and to pay the credit card off over here my only problem is the car, it has been up for sale for weeks now and nothing and as its on finance i really need to sell it and pay money back, is there an option for handing the car back in to the finance company and wat happens to the remaining couple of thousand we will probably owe due to the de value of car as we will have nothing left, im losing sleep over this as i dont want to leave a mess behind, please no lectures just friendly advice as i want to do the right thing
What sort of car is it?

Perhaps someone might desire to take over the payments/agreement from you? In affect the premium they would pay (difference between market price and total amount of payments) is the same if they went to a dealer looking for same finance?

Have you tried Ebay? (you can fix a bottom price so it wont go for a $)

Have you spoken with the dealer you bought the car off?

Have you spoken with the finance company?

What sort of work do you do that has run out? Have you thought of another state? even if on temporary basis?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:08 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Is there anyone out there who can advise this poster please as they are clearly concerned?

Sorry mate, I can't help answer this as I've no idea but good luck with what seems to be horrible circumstances. It sounds like you're going through tough times. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. All the best.
I think the poster needs to start to do some research as not many people here know much about the Australian debt system only the UK one.

Here http://www.debthelpline.com.au/ would be a good place to start
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:31 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice, we only have 3 weeks left here as flights are booked to the uk as we have work there ive advertised car everywhere its a holden astra 2005 good little car paid 21 grand for it 18 months ago and owe 16 grand.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by collybabe24
my only problem is the car, it has been up for sale for weeks now and nothing and as its on finance i really need to sell it and pay money back, is there an option for handing the car back in to the finance company and wat happens to the remaining couple of thousand we will probably owe due to the de value of car as we will have nothing left, im losing sleep over this as i dont want to leave a mess behind, please no lectures just friendly advice as i want to do the right thing
It is very unlikely that you can just hand the car back. Most, probably 99.9%, of finance companies will want the debt paid, and not be interested in the car itself.

As a last resort, they would take it, but only allow a low value for it, with you being liable for the balance.

You should check the redbook value for it, looking at the lowest Trade In Price, as that would probably be the best you would be allowed. Then try to sell it for anything above that price.

I have just looked at one 2005 model and saw these prices:
  • Private Price Guide $12,400 - $14,200
  • Trade In Price Guide $10,100 - $11,900

In all likelyhood they will not chase you for the final balance if they do not know where you are, but they would probably appreciate you paying it off, over time, if you can.

Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I wish i had known this before i made paying my UK credit card off a priority - or maybe i dont least my conscious is clear but the money would have been nice here considering i dont foresee a trip back to uk for at least another 3 years
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Can they claim for added interest because your friend could be owing quite a bit if compounded over 5 years. They surely would be able to catch you if and when you return to the UK???
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:35 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Can they claim for added interest because your friend could be owing quite a bit if compounded over 5 years. They surely would be able to catch you if and when you return to the UK???
Debt written off after 6 years regardless of interest added. Only way they could find out if you were back in the UK during this period would be if you applied for credit or went back onto the electrol roll. If after the 6 year period or 5 in Scotland if theres been no admitance of the debt then it becomes Statute Barred and is unenforcable regardless of how much interest has been accrued.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Talking of unpaid debt - my sis works for a very large credit rating firm that works very closely with the government on child tax etc. She told me that the British government are now setting their sights on unpaid student loans and are setting up offices in Australia,New Zealand and South Africa to track down immigrants who have student loans. Will make for interesting reading.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:41 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
I think the poster needs to start to do some research as not many people here know much about the Australian debt system only the UK one.

Here http://www.debthelpline.com.au/ would be a good place to start
That's helpful thanks mate
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Interesting, I don't know much about debt collection in Australia, only the UK.
If a creditor gets a CCJ against you in UK, is it not enforcable in Aus? I had been told it was, that's why they sell UK debts to Aussies collectors!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:16 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
Talking of unpaid debt - my sis works for a very large credit rating firm that works very closely with the government on child tax etc. She told me that the British government are now setting their sights on unpaid student loans and are setting up offices in Australia,New Zealand and South Africa to track down immigrants who have student loans. Will make for interesting reading.
I heard this rumour back in the 90's when Ozzies and NZ set up shelf companies did contract work and left after a few years with out paying any tax (income or corporation).

It was never seen through. I suspect a few MP's had children on OE
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:38 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
If a creditor gets a CCJ against you in UK, is it not enforcable in Aus? I had been told it was, that's why they sell UK debts to Aussies collectors!
If it has been served before you've left then I think it us then a civil matter, and enforcable, pesky can tell you for sure!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Read the earlier posts in the thread from page 1 and be enlightened.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:01 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by kar-kier
If it has been served before you've left then I think it us then a civil matter, and enforcable, pesky can tell you for sure!
Quite correct. If you have an outstanding CCJ then providing the country in which you reside has a reciprocal agreement with the UK then there is a chance the creditor could apply to the Australian court. However due to the costs involved only a small number of cases are actually been taken this far. I would assume it would depend on the amounts involved, and wether the creditor would take the financial risk of the the case being dismissed by an Australian court. In theory a UK DCA could sell a debt with a CCJ to an Australian DCA in turn they would then have to apply to an Australian court to enforce. The problem starts when the debtor then gives the Australian DCA a UK or other foreign address on the paperwork (which many are advised to do). The debt then becomes unenforcable in Australia I'm led to believe. and the whole process starts again at the costs of the creditor. A CCJ only has an enforcable lifespan of 6 years from the date given. If no payment has been recieved during this period the creditor has to apply before a UK court to have permission to enforce, and they must have a good enough reason as to why they havent collected any monies owed during the 6 years. Not being able to contact the debtor is not classed as a good enough reason. As far as I know no creditor has ever won a case to have a CCJ re-enforced after the 6 year time frame.

A new CCJ cannot be enforced or issued for anyone living outside of England or Wales. As for Scotland or NI I do not know.

Taken from the website of the 'CCJ factory' which is Northampton County Court

The Centre will not issue any of the following types of claim –

(1) a claim against more than two defendants;
(2) a claim against two defendants where a different sum is claimed against each of them;
(3) a claim against the Crown;
(4) a claim for an amount in a foreign currency;
(5) a claim where either party is known to be a child or protected party within Part 21;
(6) a claim where the claimant is a legally assisted person within the meaning of the Legal Aid Act 1988;
(7) a claim where the defendant’s address for service as it appears on the claim form is not in England and Wales;
(8) a claim which is to be issued under Part 8.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:06 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Nick11
If the Student Loan is pre-1998 (an old style one) then its classed as a consumer loan and not alot can be done to chase up payment. This loophole was closed for Student Loans issued post 1998 (which are classed as civil debts) and can be enforced provided the country of residence has a reciprocal agreement with the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.