Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:12 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK Debt Unpaid - A Warning

Originally Posted by Deancm
That is rubbish. The debt gets written of as a bad debt and claimed against tax/insurance.
Really? You have a masters in product/service costing to determine this?

Reality is bad debt is included in the costing of all products and services. The increasing rate of which changes the rate you pay.

For our banking clients this has had to be "reviewed" on a monthly basis since Sept 08. Something used to be done annually.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

That is rubbish. The debt gets written of as a bad debt and claimed against tax/insurance.
Even if it is written off against tax, they only get the tax rate amount back, so maybe $300 on a $1,000 debt. That still leaves $700 to be passed on to all the other customers, like you and me, to pay on behalf of those that don't.

Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Hi All,

If you declare yourself bankrupt in the UK three questions:

Can they take Aus earnings into account?

Can they take Aus assets into account?

If you say nothing, does it affect your Aus credit rating?

Many thanks peeps!!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should re-think about what you just quoted!!! Do you really think the financial instutions swallow up all these debts. I'm sure the share holders would love that. Would you happily pay these insurance policies out of you pocket..... i doubt that very much
It is passed on to every one else not just written off
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:35 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Hi All,

If you declare yourself bankrupt in the UK three questions:

Can they take Aus earnings into account?

Can they take Aus assets into account?

If you say nothing, does it affect your Aus credit rating?

Many thanks peeps!!
No
No
No, if you don't tell them, BUT that will mean telling out right lies, as you are asked when opening accounts, mortages etc!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Am amazed peeps on here tell everyone about their money probs, paying off debt etc.
Speaking as a multi millionaire I just dont get it.
Dont get the child support bit either, if you dont live with the kid why should they have to pay out?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:00 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Am amazed peeps on here tell everyone about their money probs, paying off debt etc.
Dont get the child support bit either, if you dont live with the kid why should they have to pay out?
That's some helluva electrical work you've done there mate
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Real name is NG Bailey
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:17 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Real name is NG Bailey
Carry on telling porkies like that and you'll end up in the Old Bailey

Actually, you'll do well here
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Carry on telling porkies like that and you'll end up in the Old Bailey

Actually, you'll do well here
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I do hope you are joking on this one....
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10585507

Out of interest recent changes in NZ likely too flow through to Oz
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:45 pm
Has left the building

Copper wire prices
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:46 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the Stduent Loan thing (Perksy?), I have 3 student loans 1996, 1997, 1998. I'm currently paying them off and will continue to do so as I am grateful for a good education and luckily can afford it with no real issues (mostly due to a good job directly related to a good education!)...

but! Totally theoretically, if I decided to close the UK account I pay out of (direct debit agreement signed in 1996) they have no way of making me pay?

My loans (luckily) are fairly low as I was able to receive the grants at the time. I do however have friends whose loans are now around the 7500quid mark. Can they just leave them? Surely there is some come-uppance? Or is it truly as simple as closing UK account and staying out of UK for 5 years?

If this is the case I'm amazed that the SLC can miss out on so much cash!

Just to reiterate to anyone who feels morally outraged, I won't be doing this - I am only a few hundred quid from paying it off. And as I have family in the UK it's just not worth having that hanging over me as I may have to one day move back - anything can happen.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10585507

Out of interest recent changes in NZ likely too flow through to Oz
Can't see that having much effect, I think one of the companies in the UK does this (Equifax) and then charge you to see your score.

The reality is this is just a money making exercise by the credit reference agency, they are creating a product that they hope there will be a demand for. They are not actually providing any additional information. How many times you have applied for credit, with who and any judgements/defaults is already available to anyone doing a credit search - they are just relating this to a score and selling it for more money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.