Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK and credit card debts behind?

Originally Posted by shorrock
They told me if I had any unserviced debts that I would have to clear them before I could start work. I think more and more companies will do this.
There is absolutely no reason why a company should be doing credit checks unless the role is financial services related.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Your debt where ever it is could also affect your employment if you got a Gov job in Australia that requires security clearence.
A security clearance has nothing to do with credit.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
A security clearance has nothing to do with credit.
They do look into your financial history when undertaking an ASIO security clearance. You have to declare bank account and credit card details, and give them access to the bank records if they request it. They will also ask for details of mortgages, bankrupcies etc. You also have to undertake to advise ASIO of any major change in your financial circumstances while holding the clearance.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They do look into your financial history when undertaking an ASIO security clearance. You have to declare bank account and credit card details, and give them access to the bank records if they request it. They will also ask for details of mortgages, bankrupcies etc. You also have to undertake to advise ASIO of any major change in your financial circumstances while holding the clearance.
When I had an ASIO security clearance for the military they didn't ask me any of those things (not that I can remember anyway) and I was cleared up to 'secret' level. Could have changed as that was a while ago.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:33 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When I had an ASIO security clearance for the military they didn't ask me any of those things (not that I can remember anyway) and I was cleared up to 'secret' level. Could have changed as that was a while ago.
The forms I saw last year wanted all financial details, and for a non-citizen they would only consider a clearance if given UK account details too. Very intrusive both financially and on the personal side - all previous relationships, all close friends and their families, plus anyone who had shared a flat/house - in both countries.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

The forms I saw last year wanted all financial details, and for a non-citizen they would only consider a clearance if given UK account details too. Very intrusive both financially and on the personal side - all previous relationships, all close friends and their families, plus anyone who had shared a flat/house - in both countries.
Mine didn't ask any questions about friends, families, relationships and it only went back 10 years. That's the type of stuff they would ask about if applying for a role with ASIO or ASIS themselves.

With Afghanistan and 'the war on terror' the landscape has probably changed and associations are much more important. Make sure you are not connected to any muslim terrorists and not funding bomb making.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Sep 14th 2010 at 1:00 am.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Mine didn't ask any questions about friends, families, relationships and it only went back 10 years. That's the type of stuff they would ask about if applying for a role with ASIO or ASIS themselves.

With Afghanistan and 'the war on terror' the landscape has probably changed and associations are much more important. Make sure you are not connected to any muslim terrorists and not funding bomb making.
Yeh, that's probably the reason fior the change, as this wasn't for an ASIO job, just a clearance while working for a State Govt Dept, not even top level either. Friend of mine was quizzed on her spending on her credit card, on why she moved so often (she was a student FFS!!!) and on why she shared a house with a South African - she had to supply details of people she shared with even if they were just house-sharers and not even friends
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

There is absolutely no reason why a company should be doing credit checks unless the role is financial services related.
I've had 2 companies that are non-financial do full background checks. If you are in debt upto your eyeballs then you are more likley to do something stupid with company IP.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Pollyanna is correct . When I was on a 457 I needed security clearence for the work I did. They wanted access to all my financial background including my overseas accounts. This was over 6 years ago as well.

Reason being if you are in debt then you are more likley can be "got at" (A vetting officer's words not mine).
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I've had 2 companies that are non-financial do full background checks. If you are in debt upto your eyeballs then you are more likley to do something stupid with company IP.
Not necessarily. Personal debt and company IP are two completely different things and mutually exclusive.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:29 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. Personal debt and company IP are two completely different things and mutually exclusive.
Actually my firm used to carry out some background checks for employers. I can say that personal debt that was unserviced or felt to be out of control was frowned upon quite heavily and was a deciding factor by most clients.

Afterall, aside from financial information and verification of education, addresses and partner details there is very little to go on.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Mmm I dunno about all this checking business. Seems like scaremongering to me.

On Shorrocks last point your defo right there. If you can't afford to live within your means in the UK you'll be screwed over here
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
Was it to complete a spelling test??
Funny
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:18 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Very intrusive both financially and on the personal side - all previous relationships, all close friends and their families, plus anyone who had shared a flat/house
"What, second names as well???"

(Friend's response upon being asked to name all previous sexual partners during security clearance).
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually my firm used to carry out some background checks for employers. I can say that personal debt that was unserviced or felt to be out of control was frowned upon quite heavily and was a deciding factor by most clients.

Afterall, aside from financial information and verification of education, addresses and partner details there is very little to go on.
A person's individual financial information is absolutely no business of any employer. It is more about control and getting people to jump through hoops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.