Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Health examination for a Holiday Visa 651 ? Serious ?

Health examination for a Holiday Visa 651 ? Serious ?

Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health examination for a Holiday Visa 651 ? Serious ?

Just applied for a holiday visa 651. I have done two previously and no problems.

Very surprised to get an email straight back asking for a Medical Examination and Chest X-Ray. I presume this is a new requirement? Or is it an age thing?
Totally dumbstruck.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 3:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health examination for a Holiday Visa 651 ? Serious ?

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Just applied for a holiday visa 651. I have done two previously and no problems.

Very surprised to get an email straight back asking for a Medical Examination and Chest X-Ray. I presume this is a new requirement? Or is it an age thing?
Totally dumbstruck.
Certainly not a common request, though they can ask for it I believe.
Might be age related (not knowing what tat age i, but for older travellers(maybe 65+) its certainly more common. Could also to be with your travel history - if you are from somewhere, or have lived/visited somewhere that has been flagged as a TB risk for instance, they will ask then.
Have you accessed medical care on your previous trips here?
I wonder (though this is just my own conjecture) whether time spent in Aus/frequency of visits comes into play?

Be interested to hear BritinParis's thoughts on it, if he stops by here today.....
Old Dec 9th 2017, 3:30 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Certainly not a common request, though they can ask for it I believe.
Might be age related (not knowing what tat age i, but for older travellers(maybe 65+) its certainly more common. Could also to be with your travel history - if you are from somewhere, or have lived/visited somewhere that has been flagged as a TB risk for instance, they will ask then.
Have you accessed medical care on your previous trips here?
I wonder (though this is just my own conjecture) whether time spent in Aus/frequency of visits comes into play?

Be interested to hear BritinParis's thoughts on it, if he stops by here today.....
Thanks Polly. Maybe I have just gone by the post for age. I am 62 years young.

I wondered about TB and Malaysia. I live in Malaysia. But that's no different to last year when I applied. I have the same residence, same address.

No I haven't had to have any medical care on previous trips. And I have travel insurance though they don't ask that.

Time spent and frequency. Yes.... Guilty !! But only this year and I am not breaking any rules of the visa. It's a pity they don't say Why. If I were deemed to be a medical risk, wouldn't they just ask to see if I had adequate travel insurance? I am very puzzled.

I believe a couple of my friends, also British, also in Malaysia, also same age group are about to apply so will be very interested to see what reaction they get.

I am now running around like a chicken with no head, as I go on holiday (elsewhere) next week, and Immigration want info within 28 days (do they know Malaysia is slow?) and i have flights booked for Australia in mid January. Oh joys
Old Dec 9th 2017, 4:33 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Polly. Maybe I have just gone by the post for age. I am 62 years young.

I wondered about TB and Malaysia. I live in Malaysia. But that's no different to last year when I applied. I have the same residence, same address.

No I haven't had to have any medical care on previous trips. And I have travel insurance though they don't ask that.

Time spent and frequency. Yes.... Guilty !! But only this year and I am not breaking any rules of the visa. It's a pity they don't say Why. If I were deemed to be a medical risk, wouldn't they just ask to see if I had adequate travel insurance? I am very puzzled.

I believe a couple of my friends, also British, also in Malaysia, also same age group are about to apply so will be very interested to see what reaction they get.

I am now running around like a chicken with no head, as I go on holiday (elsewhere) next week, and Immigration want info within 28 days (do they know Malaysia is slow?) and i have flights booked for Australia in mid January. Oh joys
Stumped, I'm afraid. I've only seen medical requests for 75+ year olds. I don't think you're breaking the rules at all, a few frequent trips but as discussed before nothing excessive.
The only thing I can think of is that they consider Malaysia a risk for TB or something else now. Or its an error...... BiP we need your input?!
Old Dec 9th 2017, 9:27 am

Think a friend's relative in Aus has come up with the answer and it IS buried away in the Borders site and it IS to do with TB and Malaysia.

If you are living in a country TB wise which does require immigration health exams (so Malaysia YES) and you intend to stay in Aus for less than 6 months No health exams are required unless special significance applies (some age consideration I think)

but If you intend to stay in Aus for six months or more they require
Medical examination and Chest xray (that's exactly what is on my letter)

I am not intending to stay for six months but.... but..... they say.....
"if you have already been in Australia in the last 28 days, we include any time you have already spent in Australia when determining the length of stay for your new visa application from a health perspective,"

Damn and Blast

Can I put the relevant link here? (well mods can delete if it is wrong)
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/...-examinations#
Old Dec 9th 2017, 9:42 am
Home and Happy

Think a friend's relative in Aus has come up with the answer and it IS buried away in the Borders site and it IS to do with TB and Malaysia.

If you are living in a country TB wise which does require immigration health exams (so Malaysia YES) and you intend to stay in Aus for less than 6 months No health exams are required unless special significance applies (some age consideration I think)

but If you intend to stay in Aus for six months or more they require
Medical examination and Chest xray (that's exactly what is on my letter)

I am not intending to stay for six months but.... but..... they say.....
"if you have already been in Australia in the last 28 days, we include any time you have already spent in Australia when determining the length of stay for your new visa application from a health perspective,"

Damn and Blast

Can I put the relevant link here? (well mods can delete if it is wrong)
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/...-examinations#
Yep, that'll be the answer. I was planning to look once I got off the phone and back onto a computer but then it got a bit busy at work and I've only just got back to it!
That;s going to be the reason for sure, I know they've tightened up on the TB stuff over here in the last couple of years. What an expensive pain
Old Dec 9th 2017, 10:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Generally the five things that determine health requirements are an applicant's citizenship, country of residence, age, length of stay and any declarations they have made regarding existing health conditions. Country of residence and length of stay appear to be the relevant factors here.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 10:16 pm

Thanks