Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving Australia (Perth) and donating furniture...

Leaving Australia (Perth) and donating furniture...

Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:07 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Leaving Australia (Perth) and donating furniture...

Hi all

I'm leaving Australia at the very end of September, and I'm not shipping most of what I have with me. So, I'm donating furniture, housewares, etc etc. I can either give it to the Salvos, or... if you or anyone you know are new arrivals from the UK and could really use some stuff, please PM me.

I have a couple of couches (one is a sofabed), a double bed, bedding, a futon, kitchen equipment, microwave and so on. I'd rather it all goes to someone who needs it, and since I was a new immigrant five years ago, I know what it's like! I also know of a few people who have come over and been hit hard by the school tax, and that makes things harder.

Cheers
Ben

PS: if anyone wants to buy my car also...!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Australia (Perth) and donating furniture...

Originally Posted by benlast
Hi all

I'm leaving Australia at the very end of September, and I'm not shipping most of what I have with me. So, I'm donating furniture, housewares, etc etc. I can either give it to the Salvos, or... if you or anyone you know are new arrivals from the UK and could really use some stuff, please PM me.

I have a couple of couches (one is a sofabed), a double bed, bedding, a futon, kitchen equipment, microwave and so on. I'd rather it all goes to someone who needs it, and since I was a new immigrant five years ago, I know what it's like! I also know of a few people who have come over and been hit hard by the school tax, and that makes things harder.

Cheers
Ben

PS: if anyone wants to buy my car also...!
That is very decent of you Ben.I am sure there will be some one out there that will appreciate it.Good luck on your travels.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Fathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant futureFathead has a brilliant future

Ben I've PM'd you. Cheers :-)
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

And dont forget Freecycle as a forum for getting rid of stuff too.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:06 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Freecycle is good, but when you have a limited window of time to dispose of everything (because after September I will have no place to leave anything), it's not that useful because you can't guarantee that you'll get a taker.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Tamanda74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ben - I'm not able to PM you as only just joined the site Would be interested in your microwave and possibly double bed..also have a friend on 457 who is in the pot for school fees plus they are about to take on a rental and won't have their own stuff for over 3 weeks so have sent her your post just in case, we're lending them some bits n bobs (we've been here 6 weeks and fortunately our things arrived before we did lol) not sure if you can PM me in return? Many thanks Amanda
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

Good luck donating to charities such as the salvos! They turned down an Italian leather sofa, flat screen telly, teak dining table, stainless steel double door fridge and a kitchen full of goodies because it was over 2 years old... Madness!

I had organised a skip to throw everything in (correct!) when I was chatting to a lady who mentioned an animal charity was opening an office and could do with everything...they now have the most modern office in brisbane!

I even approached the flood relief people, aboriginal societies etc and No one wanted the stuff (only 3 years old!). Apparent,y the flood victims feel disadvantaged by being given second hand furniture....
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:22 am
Citizen Of The World

Originally Posted by sharonm5
Good luck donating to charities such as the salvos! They turned down an Italian leather sofa, flat screen telly, teak dining table, stainless steel double door fridge and a kitchen full of goodies because it was over 2 years old... Madness!
Yes, I had the same reaction from the Salvos. The comment was "everything must be perfect because we sell it in the shops". I found that St Vincent De Paul, Good Sammy or other charities have a more flexible approach; they'll pass on donated goods as well as sell them.

b