Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Last remaining relative time frame

Last remaining relative time frame

Old Nov 26th 2023, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Ilikebeingme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last remaining relative time frame

Hello everyone, my wife, myself and 2 children emigrated to Australia 15 years ago, from England,
leaving behind my only family of my mum and sister behind.
My mum aged 80, still lives in England and is now on her own after my sister passed away after a short illness,
My mum is now finding herself very lonely and fed up and I was wondering how long the time frame and process takes to apply for a last remaining relative visa ?
Thank you for any help or advice,
David.

Last edited by Ilikebeingme; Nov 26th 2023 at 8:25 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 8:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last remaining relative time frame

Originally Posted by Ilikebeingme
Hello everyone, my wife, myself and 2 children emigrated to Australia 15 years ago, from England,
leaving behind my my only family of my mum and sister behind.
My mum aged 80, still lives in England and is now on her own after my sister passed away after a short illness,
My mum is now finding herself very lonely and fed up and I was wondering how long the time frame and process takes to apply for a last remaining relative visa ?
Thank you for any help or advice,
David.
Not an easy visa at all; I did see a report earlier this year that the visas currently being granted were lodged in 2012.

I would consult a registered migration agent about the various parent visas, as one of those might work better.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 8:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not an easy visa at all; I did see a report earlier this year that the visas currently being granted were lodged in 2012.

I would consult a registered migration agent about the various parent visas, as one of those might work better.
Looks like it's even longer for new applicants - says 24 years for applications lodged now. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-release-dates

Your suggestion of trying to find another visa route is probably the only option.
Old Nov 27th 2023, 8:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Looks like it's even longer for new applicants - says 24 years for applications lodged now. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...-release-dates

Your suggestion of trying to find another visa route is probably the only option.
24 years wouldn't surprise me. At one time it was 56 years
Old Nov 27th 2023, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
24 years wouldn't surprise me. At one time it was 56 years
Blooming 'eck.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It might be easier and cheaper to try and persuade her to move into supported accommodation where she can still engage with what friends she may have left, benefit from the NHS, get increases in her pension and be cared for in a supportive community. She could still come over for the odd holiday.

Edited to say - or you could do what my husband and I did - we went back to care for my parents when they got to 87 and increasingly vulnerable. We didnt think it would be 9 years but that was what we ended up doing. We kept our Australian home, lived with the parents and came back when mum had died and dad actually decided that he rather enjoyed the 5* hotel atmosphere of his respite care home and he was part of a nice little community there. We had to sell his home to pay the fees so we came home and he was happy as Larry in his "hotel" helping all the little old ladies (LOL at 96!!!). Might be easier and cheaper and more responsive than sitting on a contributory parent waitlist!

Last edited by quoll; Nov 29th 2023 at 4:43 am.
Old Nov 29th 2023, 5:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by quoll
It might be easier and cheaper to try and persuade her to move into supported accommodation where she can still engage with what friends she may have left, benefit from the NHS, get increases in her pension and be cared for in a supportive community. She could still come over for the odd holiday.

Edited to say - or you could do what my husband and I did - we went back to care for my parents when they got to 87 and increasingly vulnerable. We didnt think it would be 9 years but that was what we ended up doing. We kept our Australian home, lived with the parents and came back when mum had died and dad actually decided that he rather enjoyed the 5* hotel atmosphere of his respite care home and he was part of a nice little community there. We had to sell his home to pay the fees so we came home and he was happy as Larry in his "hotel" helping all the little old ladies (LOL at 96!!!). Might be easier and cheaper and more responsive than sitting on a contributory parent waitlist!

Yes. I rather had the same thoughts.
Have Mum move into somewhere where there is company and support . Depends on how mobile she is and if she is a people person or not.

Quoll: I did the same thing for my Dad . I was back there for as long as and prepared for a few years . Sadly it was just a few months.
Old Dec 2nd 2023, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think that parents are eligible for the Last Remaining Relative visas, anyway. There are multiple parent visas for parents.
The LRR visas are for other relatives.
Old Dec 31st 2023, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Lawrenceb is an unknown quantity at this point

We run out of time with ours, but was looking at a 2 year family visa, month holiday in NZ and repeat, or getting them on a tafe/uni course like pottery/history, other wise I think you have to cover health cost.