Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

last remaining relative

last remaining relative

Old Aug 19th 2001, 5:15 pm
tad
Just Joined

tad is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone else out there applied to emigrate to Oz under the Last Remaining Relative category? Our Immigration Consultant said that it's not a priority category and that it was likely to take at least 18 months to get an answer. I'd appreciate hearing other peoples experiences.
Old Aug 19th 2001, 7:26 pm
Patrick_donnelly

Hi Tad,

We, just this week, got this little gem! I've been hovering on this very helpful NG
for over 17 months, the length of time it took from first enquiry at the Dublin
Embassy to actual Visa.

I was deferred for a year which I gather is common in this category, hence the
length of time taken. I hadn't the benefit of the advice you have now and I suggest
you use it to plan the timing of the move carefully, paying full attention to timing
of medicals and police reports. As a result of my lack of forethought and backbone,
the seven of us are off to Bris before Christmas, at the dearest time of year for
short term accomodation and when pressure on seats is enormous and when the airlines
make most of their profit. Medicals in Jan 2001 are the limiting factor for us. If I
had totally succumbed to sponsor pressure, I would have obtained those in November
2000! That would leave no time for selling the house etc! Or new medicals for 7 at
c£IR100 each. Still, we're happy to go asap! The deferral meant that everything was
teed up but not actually moving until a new migration year started. As soon as July
2001 rolled round we were given the amber light. I then had to get my sponsor to pay
the bonds and the medicare supplements. That took a couple of weeks. The cut off
date was advised to us in Jan 2001 as it had become effective in Nov 2000. That is,
if I understand correctly, no further grant of, as opposed to processing of claims
after Nov as the year limit had been reached in November 2000 for the year 2000/1.
This is likely to happen for all low priority programs. It is likely that this years
quota will be reached earlier than November, but a migration agent who has a
friendly contact in the DIMA will undoubtedly have more accurate info! I didn't use
an agent but I am a bureaucrat (boo!) so felt able to apply w/o benefit of expert
advice. "A lawyer who acts for himself....." This is the second query on this
category of family related migration, to my knowledge, in over a year and a half on
this NG. The helpful staff at the embassy had not experienced this class of visa
before, "in living memory". Despite large Irish families...Fairly rare then. E-mail
me privately if you wish.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >