Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop rental in Sydney...

Laptop rental in Sydney...

Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:00 am
Just Joined

captain_beefheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptop rental in Sydney...

Does anyone know of any good companies who rent out laptops in Sydney? I'm here for six months and can't really afford to buy one. I tried Dick Smith, but as I am not an Australian resident then I am not eligible for their rentsmart scheme. I also tried Harvey Norman, and they only rent their laptops out for a minimum of 12 months.

Any ideas greatly received!

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Laptop rental in Sydney...

If it is just for email/internet why don't you buy an old PC, probably could even find a free one somewhere.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

with new laptops starting at $500 and net books at around $300 it probably wouldn't be worth companies renting them for 6 months.

If you want cheaper maybe try gumtree for a second hand one (which you could sell on again in 6 months)
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:26 pm
ABCDiamond

An example of ex-government notebooks:

Toshiba Tecra A8, Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 GHz
Only $399 which equals $67 pm (for 6 months use), and you get to keep it, not hand it back

Actually I have just seen one that may do for daughter...
Panasonic ToughBook CF-29 Military grade "Tough" notebook. Designed using U.S. Department of Defence MIL-STD-810F test procedures.

Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:55 am
Just Joined

captain_beefheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, maybe you guys are right! Only just got back here and start a new job on Tuesday, so maybe after a month or so's pay I might treat myself to one!

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captain_beefheart
Does anyone know of any good companies who rent out laptops in Sydney? I'm here for six months and can't really afford to buy one. I tried Dick Smith, but as I am not an Australian resident then I am not eligible for their rentsmart scheme. I also tried Harvey Norman, and they only rent their laptops out for a minimum of 12 months.

Any ideas greatly received!

Thanks
You will be able to get a 2nd hand netbook or laptop for under $200 that would be perfect for email, internet, office etc.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Radio Rentals rents by the week and month – I once rented a video player for four months.

Not sure if you need to be a resident or not though, look into it further here:

http://www.radio-rentals.com.au/rent...fice/Notebooks

I have rented loads of stuff off them for short periods.