Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA under threat

LAFHA under threat

Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA under threat

Originally Posted by paddyo
Where did you see that Bob?
Details on the LAFHA changes pasted from the treasurers website...

"Fringe benefits tax (FBT) reform – Living-away-from-home allowance and benefits
The Government will introduce reforms to stop individuals from being able to exploit the tax exemption for living-away-from-home allowance and benefits.

This tax exemption is being increasingly misused by a narrow group of people, particularly highly-paid executives and foreign workers, at the expense of Australian taxpayers.

Rorting of this tax exemption was one of the issues raised at the Tax Forum, and has seen the total amount of tax-free living-away-from-home allowance reported by employers to the Australian Taxation Office increase from $162 million in 2004-05 to $740 million in 2010-11.

Under reforms announced today:

access to the tax exemption for temporary residents will be limited to those who maintain a residence for their own use in Australia, which they are living away from for work purposes, such as 'fly-in fly-out' workers; and
individuals will be required to substantiate their actual expenditure on accommodation and food beyond a statutory amount.
No permanent resident legitimately using this tax exemption for accommodation and food expenses will lose any entitlements.

These reforms will not affect other tax concessions, such as those that apply to travel and meal allowances, and remote area fringe benefits.

The reforms will apply from 1 July 2012. This start date will enable the Government to undertake an extensive consultation process on these reforms, so appropriate transitional arrangements can be put in place, including in regional Australia.

These changes will ensure that a level playing field exists between temporary residents and permanent residents, and that Australian taxpayers are not funding the unfair exploitation of concessions.

This reform progresses recommendation 9(c) of the Australia's Future Tax System Review, and will provide savings of $683.3 million over the forward estimates."

See here for further details: http://www.treasurer.gov.au/DisplayD...ear=&DocType=0
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have to admit, naturally I would like to receive LAHFA and I'm probably as entitled to as most, but I hold an Aussie passport care of time spent here in my youth. A bunch of us at work were transferred here early this year, and I was the only one who didn't receive LAHFA because I hold a passport. Mrs B and I have our families are back in the UK and we intend to return in a couple of years, but we have no proof of our intention to return - we are not on temporary visa's.

Many of my work collegues who receive LAHFA have rented out their houses in the UK which is paying the mortgage so in actual fact they are not out of pocket.

All of us negotiated, agreed terms and came to Australia without the knowledge of LAHFA. It was only when one of the group discovered it on a forum like this that everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I will admit, at the time I thought WOW - this is a rort - and a big bonus and not really necassary but I will take it anyway. In the end I couldn't but good luck to those who do.

Now that I am an Aussie tax payer and I see others receiving LAHFA when it's not really necessary (obviously there are certain cases where it is) of course I'm going to want my tax dollars spent elsewhere.

There will be no winners in the argument. Someone's loss is always someone elses gain.
yep....pretty fair assessment there.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

yep....pretty fair assessment there.
So Paddyo .... you rent out your house in the UK right?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

So Paddyo .... you rent out your house in the UK right?
Yes I do.......and I make a loss of 500 pounds per month due to mortgage/rent ratio. Plus have had a couple of empty months and some maintenance charges (boiler stat replacement, removal of bee hive!!, new dishwasher etc etc) I knew the circumstances whern I moved over, but we also had a successful home based business in UK and had to give that up (long story!!) so the company gave the 'LAFHA' angle as compensation for reduced income compared to what we would of had in UK.
I appreciate that my circumstances are personal to me and we all have differing reasons and financial status, but we gave up a lot to come here and in no way are 'in profit'. For me it was based on professional development plus a try before you buy process, if we like it here then MAYBE go PR. But the loss of LAFHA reduces my take home by 25%.....that in anyones book is a lot to try and cover.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

We came out on a 457 and obviously keep our home in the uk. We have to send $750 pcm home to cover this, we also spend $1000 pcm on childcare for my son for 3 days pw (he should be at school in the uk). I left a deputy heads salary behind but here as a teacher on a temporary visa can only do casual n temp work - i currently get 1/2 days pw. Lafha compensates for the above costs - once and if we get pr - we can sell uk home, get childcare rebate and I can get a permenant job....
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Could I enquire about LAFHA when I come over as I will have a house to pay for still there? And family to support until they get the required visa..
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Could I enquire about LAFHA when I come over as I will have a house to pay for still there? And family to support until they get the required visa..
apparently.....by the time you come over it will all be gone...LAFHA that is!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do.......and I make a loss of 500 pounds per month due to mortgage/rent ratio. Plus have had a couple of empty months and some maintenance charges (boiler stat replacement, removal of bee hive!!, new dishwasher etc etc) I knew the circumstances whern I moved over, but we also had a successful home based business in UK and had to give that up (long story!!) so the company gave the 'LAFHA' angle as compensation for reduced income compared to what we would of had in UK.
I appreciate that my circumstances are personal to me and we all have differing reasons and financial status, but we gave up a lot to come here and in no way are 'in profit'. For me it was based on professional development plus a try before you buy process, if we like it here then MAYBE go PR. But the loss of LAFHA reduces my take home by 25%.....that in anyones book is a lot to try and cover.
As you are resident in Oz can you negatively gear the loss?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:11 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

As you are resident in Oz can you negatively gear the loss?
I believe he could once he has PR?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I believe he could once he has PR?
For tax purposes does it matter if he's PR or will tax resident do. I don't know????
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:25 am
Just Joined

godders64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I'm glad its going, or at least getting tighter. The strength of the dollar and high wages means theres enough incentive for people to come for a few years and earn good money if they are planning on going home again. Its slightly galling to see people swan in, earn good wedge, pay no taxes (whilst still using many public services) and then bugger off again. If people want to go somewhere to make a quick buck they can go to a shithole like dubai.

Does no one realise that Australians in the UK get exactly the same treatment? It is not called LAFHA but they can still deduct their rent and food (AND OTHER) costs from their tax bill - it is administered slightly differently in so far as it is done as a rebate at the end, not from month to month but it is the same tax break. It is in fact more generous! Furthermore, there are no charges for health care or schools in the UK - so they get all the benefits and none of the costs.

If it goes here then I hope that the UK government removes it from the other side - A reciprocal tax arrangement needs to have 2 sides - so all the Australians celebrating may have friends (or even themselves) be finding it less exciting when the same happens in the UK to them
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by godders64
Does no one realise that Australians in the UK get exactly the same treatment? It is not called LAFHA but they can still deduct their rent and food (AND OTHER) costs from their tax bill - it is administered slightly differently in so far as it is done as a rebate at the end, not from month to month but it is the same tax break. It is in fact more generous! Furthermore, there are no charges for health care or schools in the UK - so they get all the benefits and none of the costs.

If it goes here then I hope that the UK government removes it from the other side - A reciprocal tax arrangement needs to have 2 sides - so all the Australians celebrating may have friends (or even themselves) be finding it less exciting when the same happens in the UK to them
I was talking to Oz mates of mine in UK and this cropped up yesterday. All I ever want is parity and at the moment the Australians are not giving as much as they are taking.
As for negative gearing, even though I am a Tax Resident, I am unable to claim any profit or loss on foreign investments or holdings. I can not claim child care rebate, I can not claim for public school expenses. As Temp Visa holder you can claim nothing which other tax residents do...hence why we are so hacked off at the possibility of losing LAFHA.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

For tax purposes does it matter if he's PR or will tax resident do. I don't know????
Have to be PR or citizen.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As Temp Visa holder you can claim nothing which other tax residents do...hence why we are so hacked off at the possibility of losing LAFHA.
In an effort to simplify the "worlds most complicated tax system" it would make more sense to remove LAHFA and give you the bits you are currently not entitled to.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:50 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

In an effort to simplify the "worlds most complicated tax system" it would make more sense to remove LAHFA and give you the bits you are currently not entitled to.
I thought "worlds most complicated tax system" was America's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.