LAFHA

Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

jimbo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LAFHA

Hi Guys,

Just checking in on LAFHA as my status has recently changed.

I moved to Australia with my company from the UK in September 2009 and was claiming LAFHA. I do not own a place back in the UK and gave up my lease to come here.

I changed jobs in March and gave up my 457 to become defacto on my partners visa. Can I now still claim LAFHA? My company have offered this.

Really keen to know as I am about to get my tax return sorted.

Really appreciate any help.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: LAFHA

Are you living away from home? If you're living with your defacto local to where you're working I don't see how you could claim it. It would be incredibly difficult to claim your home is overseas given the defacto visa.

If you're partner is living elsewhere and you had to move away to do your job then you probably could.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

My partner came here with me from the UK. We just swapped who was on the 457 as I wanted to leave my job. We intend to return to the UK after her 4 years is up.

Does that make a difference?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

So you're a defacto on your partners 457?

If that's the case then you're still on a temporary visa so as far as I can see you should still be able to claim it.

I read your post as a defacto visa to an Australian citizen or PR, which would make things more difficult. If you're both on a 457 still then it shouldn't be a problem as your visa is only temporary and you'll be returning to the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by comet555
So you're a defacto on your partners 457?

If that's the case then you're still on a temporary visa so as far as I can see you should still be able to claim it.

I read your post as a defacto visa to an Australian citizen or PR, which would make things more difficult. If you're both on a 457 still then it shouldn't be a problem as your visa is only temporary and you'll be returning to the UK.
We are both UK citizens so will be returning after the 4 years - Thanks so much for your help!