Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of Culture???

Lack of Culture???

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:25 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Culture???

Originally Posted by Rushman
What a crock of shit. A dodgy looking opera house, a big rock in the middle of nowhere, shite beer, some old pervy geezer that dresses up as an old tart and crocodile ****ing Dundee.....thats culture is it? I've seen more culture in a 3 week old Yoghurt FFS.
LOL. Good post BUT don't forget the flies, mozzies, overbearing heat, and the obsession with being seen as the world's best in every form of sport (that counts as sport in their eyes).

I think too that 'culture' goes beyond old buildings, and ethnic food, and art galleries. It also is about how a society interacts with it's members at individual, collective, formal and informal levels.

In OZ there is a pc sense of 'multi-culturalism' but dig a bit deeper and you find that migrants are always migrants, and never really 'one of us'. So no surprise that the most sociable and friendly people I have come across here are others who have also come here from elsewhere, to live.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wardy2
Just curious to know what this means.

I keep seeing peoples posts admittedly on MBTUK forum that Australia has no culture. Can anyone explain this to me

My understanding of culture is about the way peole lead their lifes through language, clothes, foods and values so how does Australia not have a culture.

While we were there during last August we certainly did not find this. In fact there seemed to be plenty of different and exciting cultures around us.

I don't intend to be boring but it puzzles me as people seem to use this as a criticism of Australia. We hope to be in Brisbane this year so beginning to feel a bit protective over our new home.

Kaye
It depends on how you define culture. Our European ancestors have a lot to answer for and what exactly do modern day Europeans expect when moving to Australia??? It is absolutely not Europe. It is pretty obvious you can't zip to places like Paris or Barcelona for a weekend or take in Roman/Greek/Egyptian type sites on a 2 week holiday from here but------.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:55 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rushman
What a crock of shit. A dodgy looking opera house, a big rock in the middle of nowhere, shite beer, some old pervy geezer that dresses up as an old tart and crocodile ****ing Dundee.....thats culture is it? I've seen more culture in a 3 week old Yoghurt FFS.
Have you been to Aus?

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=kiwi_child;

In OZ there is a pc sense of 'multi-culturalism' but dig a bit deeper and you find that migrants are always migrants, and never really 'one of us'. So no surprise that the most sociable and friendly people I have come across here are others who have also come here from elsewhere, to live.[/quote]
Have to say I've never found this, but then I've been here a very long time. Think this is the crux of the matter, you have to be here for more than a few years to be truely accepted. No different than if you go to live in some places in the UK, especially villages, you are looked upon as an outsider for a long time. In some places you're never accepted as a local no matter how long you are a resident. I realize that you have been in Australia for some years, but you have no doubt made your feelings about the country known and those would not have endeared you to the locals.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
I get exceptionally irritated when I keep reading on here, or MBTTUK, that people are bored

Only boring people get bored!

Interesting people find interesting things to do.
what a pile of crap
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
LOL. Good post BUT don't forget the flies, mozzies, overbearing heat, and the obsession with being seen as the world's best in every form of sport (that counts as sport in their eyes).

I think too that 'culture' goes beyond old buildings, and ethnic food, and art galleries. It also is about how a society interacts with it's members at individual, collective, formal and informal levels.

In OZ there is a pc sense of 'multi-culturalism' but dig a bit deeper and you find that migrants are always migrants, and never really 'one of us'. So no surprise that the most sociable and friendly people I have come across here are others who have also come here from elsewhere, to live.
Just for my curiosity - which other areas of Australia have you lived in?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that people are confused between CULTURE:

noun 1 the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. 2 a refined understanding or appreciation of this. 3 the customs, institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or group.

As defined by the Oxford dictionary http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/culture?view=uk

and HISTORY:

1 the study of past events. 2 the past considered as a whole. 3 the past events connected with someone or something. 4 a continuous record of past events or trends

Also in the oxford dictionary http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/history?view=uk

I think that when people say they think Australia doesn't have any culture they either mean, that it is a different way of life here and they can't adapt. Or they mean there is no history, Although of course Australia has plenty more of that than the UK, just not in the shape of castles
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

So, as far as I can see reading this thread there are a lot of people that feel australia has no "culture" because it has no very old churches or castles?? and that it has big apparently "boring" suburbs (which of course do not exist anywhere else in the world).

What kind of "culture" are people looking for when they go to Australia? Personally, I will be looking for the "outdoors culture", I will also be looking forward to taking advantage of the "cafe culture" and the "sporting culture".

I have absolutely no expectations of seeing castles.

and if I miss the old churches and castles that much I can always buy a history book and look at the pictures

Dolly
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
So, as far as I can see reading this thread there are a lot of people that feel australia has no "culture" because it has no very old churches or castles?? and that it has big apparently "boring" suburbs (which of course do not exist anywhere else in the world).

What kind of "culture" are people looking for when they go to Australia? Personally, I will be looking for the "outdoors culture", I will also be looking forward to taking advantage of the "cafe culture" and the "sporting culture".

I have absolutely no expectations of seeing castles.

and if I miss the old churches and castles that much I can always buy a history book and look at the pictures

Dolly

We have lots of churches here in Adelaide (No castles though )
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:27 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think that people are confused between CULTURE:

noun 1 the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. 2 a refined understanding or appreciation of this. 3 the customs, institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or group.

As defined by the Oxford dictionary http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/culture?view=uk

and HISTORY:

1 the study of past events. 2 the past considered as a whole. 3 the past events connected with someone or something. 4 a continuous record of past events or trends

Also in the oxford dictionary http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/history?view=uk

I think that when people say they think Australia doesn't have any culture they either mean, that it is a different way of life here and they can't adapt. Or they mean there is no history, Although of course Australia has plenty more of that than the UK, just not in the shape of castles
Nothing to do with beer then?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lack of Culture???

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Nothing to do with beer then?
Or Yoghurt?

Buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the opposite experience - the most friendly and tolerant people I have met have been the Australians themselves. If there seemed any complaining, a lot of migrants just want to live like they did back home and close themselves in. We know some groups who are very much like this and know very little Aussies.

It's very obvious that you really have a tough life of it Miss Kiwi.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:53 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Here's some food for thought.

The main part of the Palace of Westminster (i.e. where the Lords and Commons sit) is roughly the same age as the Victorian Parliament building.

Lords' chamber opened 1847.
Commons' chamber opened 1852.
The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council opened 1856.

And the oldest part was built in 1099, nice try.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:14 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Just for my curiosity - which other areas of Australia have you lived in?
Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane mainly
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane mainly
How did you find those cities? I've only lived in Melbourne and so far have encountered very few negatives - but obviously can only speak for my neck of the woods!
As far as culture goes - coming from Bristol/Bath and working in the arts - we would have killed for the Melbourne arts, culture & festivals scene! I'm far from disappointed with what I have found so far on that score.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.