Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of Culture???

Lack of Culture???

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lack of Culture???

"Lack of culture" is code for "It's not like England".
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:02 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
What a crock of shit. A dodgy looking opera house, a big rock in the middle of nowhere, shite beer, some old pervy geezer that dresses up as an old tart and crocodile ****ing Dundee.....thats culture is it? If seem more culture in a 3 week old Yoghurt FFS.
ROFL
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
"Lack of culture" is code for "It's not like England".
I'd also say that the people who mean this ^ - directly probably don't spend their entire lives 'doing' culture anyhow.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
And that sums up a lot of things really doesn't it... It seems some people really give themselves a challenge by not only moving to another country but also putting themselves into a completely different situation when they get there...
I think it's more of a adaption problem. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting yourself in a different situation - lots of people come for change we did - but then we have skills and experiences where we have done this before. Most people come here chasing a dream and don't seem to make much of an attempt to really follow it. What people get is not what they thought of in their mind's eye - I'm sure. For what's it worth the Australian dream is getting harder to achieve. We almost couldn't have done it cos we haven't got the money and got lucky to achieve it on the cheap.

Of course, some people don't really know what they want, and sometimes when the change they got turns out to be plain wrong, it hurts. I have some sympathy.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think it's more of a adaption problem. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting yourself in a different situation - lots of people come for change we did - but then we have skills and experiences where we have done this before. Most people come here chasing a dream and don't seem to make much of an attempt to really follow it. What people get is not what they thought of in their mind's eye - I'm sure. For what's it worth the Australian dream is getting harder to achieve. We almost couldn't have done it cos we haven't got the money and got lucky to achieve it on the cheap.

Of course, some people don't really know what they want, and sometimes when the change they got turns out to be plain wrong, it hurts. I have some sympathy.
You are a decent person Badge, I wish I could be more sympathetic towards people. I agree that change is good and a lot of people come for change but to come from a large city where your life is full of family, friends, pubs, clubs, shops etc etc on your doorstep to a bland australian suburb that doesn't have those things, it's a recipe for disaster in my book.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:41 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

have we done the yogurt joke yet?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are a decent person Badge, I wish I could be more sympathetic towards people. I agree that change is good and a lot of people come for change but to come from a large city where your life is full of family, friends, pubs, clubs, shops etc etc on your doorstep to a bland australian suburb that doesn't have those things, it's a recipe for disaster in my book.
Thanks mate! For what's it worth, I am not sympathetic to the more idiotic or stupid, or clueless - though let me get that in. I'm sympathetic to the ones who got it wrong then went back, or plan to do so.

I personally think the new,and, outer suburbs of Australian cities are real problems - unless there is a beach somewhere. That's my opinion and I would place money on them being behind 90pc of people's problems. I offer anyone who is 100pc blaming Australia a free visit to my gaff and they might be pleasantly surprised

a) at what a dump it is and b) how cool it is.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
have we done the yogurt joke yet?
yes, I remember using it some time ago on the MBttUK forum, its a great karma generator.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Here's some food for thought.

The main part of the Palace of Westminster (i.e. where the Lords and Commons sit) is roughly the same age as the Victorian Parliament building.

Lords' chamber opened 1847.
Commons' chamber opened 1852.
The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council opened 1856.

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:23 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...but to come from a large city where your life is full of family, friends, pubs, clubs, shops etc etc on your doorstep to a bland australian suburb that doesn't have those things, it's a recipe for disaster in my book.
Quite so...
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Here's some food for thought.

The main part of the Palace of Westminster (i.e. where the Lords and Commons sit) is roughly the same age as the Victorian Parliament building.

Lords' chamber opened 1847.
Commons' chamber opened 1852.
The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council opened 1856.

Knew we could 'count' on you for those little tidbits. Not that I want, or need to keep a tally of 'counts' lol.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Knew we could 'count' on you for those little tidbits. Not that I want, or need to keep a tally of 'counts' lol.
From comments made before my arrival I didn't expect to see so many "old" buildings. I keep seeing church spires that are reminiscent of those found in London and classical buildings like those found in any seat of government. The only things I haven't seen here are castles (but I've seen a few chateaux).

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

However I have seen a few people on here that lived in large cities back in England (Leeds/Manchester) and then move to a quiet suburb that's 15 mins drive to civilisation, no pub, no shops, no decent public transport and winge like buggary that they are bored.
I get exceptionally irritated when I keep reading on here, or MBTTUK, that people are bored

Only boring people get bored!

Interesting people find interesting things to do.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:36 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunbather
I get exceptionally irritated when I keep reading on here, or MBTTUK, that people are bored

And only boring people churn out that nugget of wisdom
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:00 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather

Well there are only so many different shaped buckets you can buy so you quickly end up repeating sand castles on the beach. You can add motes and flags but it does soon get boring. I suppose you could experiment with different sun tan oils to spice things up a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.