Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Joanie Babes
Apparently he was told it is aspesto, and the building has a problem.

Queenie
That is not good, now, do I tell my friend who as just spend $210,000 on a one bed flat in the Wool Sheds????

Totally agree with you, Rosalie is lovely. Anyway must do some work at some point today...
Happy hunting [/QUOTE]

The building with the aspestos problem is only 1 of the 3. It is the furthest one north. Hope its not his!

Queenie
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

We're aiming for there too, we are skilled independants going on husbands job, using agent in brisbane.

the 50 weeks will make it 1st Nov '04, will get visa, hand in notice and go !!

Maybe to Albany creek? expect to rent for 6 months before buying.

Husband Computer programmer, me marketing manager

Vicky

Originally posted by tinaj
Welcome to the site!

There are lots of us on here that are aiming for the Brissie area, hopefully we can pass on some useful info between us
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

thanks for that, just picked Albany Creek as the houses loked nice, may rethink, dont fancy and hours commute !!

Originally posted by PADDAD
Hi there

We have been here almost 2 months and live in Belbowrie on the outskirts of the CBD - about 25 minutes drive. Acacia Ridge, Darra, Inala, Ipswich Wynnum West are classed as low socio econmic areas. We managed to source this from articles written in the local paper and estate agents.

As far as where to live it really depends whether or not you want to live in or near the city.

I can recommend closest to the city first, Toowong, Fig Tree Pocket, Jindalee, Kenmore, West Lake, Chapel Hill, Brookfield, Pinjarra Hills, Pullenvale and Bellbowrie. A lot of people rave about Albany Creek but it's about an hour from the CBD and despite this the properties don't appear that much cheaper than where we are. Wynnum (not West) is supposed to be very up and coming (about 20 minutes off peak, also has a train line and is on/near the bay) and Manly is supposed to be wonderful (although expensive).

Hope this helps
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:12 pm

rouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brisgal
We will be hopefully moving to Brisbane very soon so yes I would love to ask you about Brisbane.

I am a city girl at heart but for the last 10 years or so have lived in a smaller town with a great community and ive loved it. I guess im looking for the community spirit and hope to make lots of ozzy friends.

What areas of brisbane do you think we would like, we like the occasional visit to town for the pictures and restaurants, but also like the community spirit, any ideas?

Looks like we should rent first which is always a good idea anyway to check out an area, we got stuck in a house for 4 years in a Godforsaken place near Cambridge... never again.

We have no children, enjoy motorcycling (well we will in Oz with the weather and all and sharing meals with friends

Any ideas???
Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:24 am
Just Joined

PommiePaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I am a Brit who moved to Brisbane a year ago this week with my Aussie girlfriend. We live on the Northside in a suburb called Bridgeman Downs.

If anyone needs any advice about anything to do with moving to Brissy then feel free to drop me a line and I'll do what I can to help.

BTW, I love it here.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PommiePaul
Hi All

I am a Brit who moved to Brisbane a year ago this week with my Aussie girlfriend. We live on the Northside in a suburb called Bridgeman Downs.

If anyone needs any advice about anything to do with moving to Brissy then feel free to drop me a line and I'll do what I can to help.

BTW, I love it here.

Welcome to the forum and happy 1st anniversary!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:19 pm

Originally posted by PommiePaul
Hi All

BTW, I love it here.
Hi
As you should be out of the 'honeymoon' period, what is it you actually love about Brisbane (or Australia for that matter). Is it the people, the place, the westher or all of the above.
We have a choice of possible emigrating through employer migration and are in 2 minds as to chuck it all in here and sell the house... or be cautious and rent our house here until we know what we want to do.
We have no kids, no major ties here apart from the obvious and hate the following about G Britain:
Weather
Thugs
Football (sorry I know Oz is sport mad but hopefully no thugs)
Politicians
High house prices
Long hours (work)
Weather
Busy Roads
Beaurocrasy (cant spell that)
'Rip Off' Britain - everything overpriced
Weather

What do you now dislike about Oz after being there for 1 year (there must be something you dont like)

Cheers
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:22 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rouse

We have no kids, no major ties here apart from the obvious and hate the following about G Britain:
Weather
Thugs
Politicians
High house prices
Long hours (work)
Weather
Busy Roads
Weather

What do you now dislike about Oz after being there for 1 year (there must be something you dont like)

Cheers
Weather
Thugs- Hoons
Politicians - Pollies here are awful
High house prices - yup
Long hours (work) - oh yes!
Weather
Busy Roads- Ok I'll give you that
Beaurocrasy (cant spell that) - You aint seen nuthin yet
'Rip Off' Britain - everything overpriced - I just paid $3.48 for an Iceberg lettuce
Weather
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
As you should be out of the 'honeymoon' period, what is it you actually love about Brisbane (or Australia for that matter). Is it the people, the place, the westher or all of the above.
We have a choice of possible emigrating through employer migration and are in 2 minds as to chuck it all in here and sell the house... or be cautious and rent our house here until we know what we want to do.
Weather
Thugs
Politicians
High house prices
Long hours (work)
Weather
Busy Roads
Weather

Cheers
What paper do you read?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:38 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Know anythingabout Brisbane

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Hi we are looking pretty close to the city.

Around the Indooroopilly, Tarina or Toowong areas
When we were over there we had a good look round and they seemed what we were after.
You pay a little more being central but it cuts the travel time.

TT

everytime we drive thru TOOWONG everyone shouts TOOWONGS DONT MAKE A WITE
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:48 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
everytime we drive thru TOOWONG everyone shouts TOOWONGS DONT MAKE A WITE

I must, sadly, admit to the same. Have you seen the chinese takeaway inside the shopping centre called Two Wongs (really)?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:57 pm

Originally posted by Joanie Babes
That particular one was white goods only, but you can hire beds etc for a month while your stuff turns up which are quite reasonable. You can even hire linen!! As for terms and conditions you can ask for a periodic lease, which means you just give one months notice but stay for as long or short a period as you want, otherwise generally 6 months. There is no shortage of rental properties.
Hi
Good info about hiring stuff... could you recommend companies for hiring as we will have the same problem.. will be exporting everything so need an unfurnished apartment
Cheers
Rouse
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:13 pm

Originally posted by bondipom
What paper do you read?
Never touch em... rely on TV for news, they have some accountability, papers just print what they want
Why do you ask?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:17 pm

Originally posted by jayr
Weather
Thugs- Hoons
Politicians - Pollies here are awful
High house prices - yup
Long hours (work) - oh yes!
Weather
Busy Roads- Ok I'll give you that
Beaurocrasy (cant spell that) - You aint seen nuthin yet
'Rip Off' Britain - everything overpriced - I just paid $3.48 for an Iceberg lettuce
Weather
OK, tell me like it is... Im fed up of reading 'I love Brisbane' ... compared to UK, did you make the right decision? Is it really a 'better' move, or just... diffferent place, same old sh1t?
I want it to be a better place, but also want the reality as well
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Never touch em... rely on TV for news, they have some accountability, papers just print what they want
Why do you ask?
Most of the people emmigrating because of the push reasons tend to be Daily Mail/Express readers. I was wondering whether this would hold up but in your case the theory has fallen on its face.

All I can say is think of some reasons Oz is good for you. Jayr's repost is quite correct. Aussie politicians make the houses of parliament look civilised, domestic inflation is on the rise, thuggery is just as common (remember the cricketer bashed outside the Melbourne club), traffic conditions depend on where you live and the levels of government are just as interfering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.