Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

speedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We live near brissy

Hi we moved out hear a year ago and live in the redlands area ,25 mins from the city ,very nice area we reckon ,had never been to QLD before so was all very new to us .We have gold coast an hours drive away and sunshine coast just over an hour ,so we reckon we have best of both worlds ! if anyone wants any info about the place just ask !
Speedy in brissy
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi to all the locals offering help on Brisbane,

On a drivethrough, I liked the suburbs of Ascot and Clayfield. I know they are expensive, but are there any similar places a bit cheaper?

I loved the old renovated Queenslanders. I also loved the idea of a high street in Ascot with cafes and restaurants rather than shopping malls with KFC etc. I also liked New Farm for its cafes and excellent deli.

Maybe that means food is my priority?

I also liked Red Hill and Paddington but need a train line to CBD.

Any ideas for me folks?

Many thanks

Queenie
Old Oct 6th 2003, 10:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Queenie,
My Bloke is renting in Clayfield at present, and we have decided its probably too pricey to buy there, so we are looking at similar places - Nundah, Chermside, Zillmere for example, are all very close and much the same in layout etc, yet still slightly cheaper. Ascot is nice, but a bit more pricey I think. You could also look out around Windsor.
My dream is to live in a genuine Queenslander, but that'll have to wait a while.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Joanie Babes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Know anythingabout Brisbane

Originally posted by HKH
Is that price for a furnished house? And what is the minimum period of lease?
That particular one was white goods only, but you can hire beds etc for a month while your stuff turns up which are quite reasonable. You can even hire linen!! As for terms and conditions you can ask for a periodic lease, which means you just give one months notice but stay for as long or short a period as you want, otherwise generally 6 months. There is no shortage of rental properties.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by queenie
Hi to all the locals offering help on Brisbane,

On a drivethrough, I liked the suburbs of Ascot and Clayfield. I know they are expensive, but are there any similar places a bit cheaper?

I loved the old renovated Queenslanders. I also loved the idea of a high street in Ascot with cafes and restaurants rather than shopping malls with KFC etc. I also liked New Farm for its cafes and excellent deli.

Maybe that means food is my priority?

I also liked Red Hill and Paddington but need a train line to CBD.

Any ideas for me folks?

Many thanks

Queenie
Hi Queenie,

Depending on your budget - yes Ascot, Clayfield, Paddington & Red Hill are some of the most expensive real estate in Brisbane - you could try some of the following areas. All are on a train line (except one see comments) & have a *high street* aura & cafe society set to various degrees & lots of old queenslanders. Is there a reason for the train only rather than bus or ferry/citycat? Anyway these are my suggestions based solely on your criteria of Qlders & high street atmosphere.

Bulimba - I absolutely LOVE Bulimba, it has a lovely *high street* complete with cinema & a huge park right in the middle (a bit like a village green I suppose). Lots of lovely little cafes & shops & very quiet as its not a "through" road. This is the only one that doesnt have a train line (closest train is at Morningside), but it does have an excellent bus service as well as citycat & ferry services to the city. Suburbs next door are Hawthorne & Balmoral.

Sherwood/Graceville/Corinda - grew up in this area & my family had lived there for over 50 years until my mum died earlier this year. Lots of lovely parks by the river, nice cafes & shops & train & bus service into town. Chelmer is also nice, but doesnt have any sort of shop/cafe area (Graceville has 2, Sherwood & Corinda 1). About 10-15 mins (7-9 stops) on the train into town.

Auchenflower - very close to the city & on the train line only 3 stops to Central Station. Some parts are very expensive (the ones with the views!) but others are a little more reasonable. Quite hilly, alot like Paddington which it backs onto. Also look at Taringa on the other side of Toowong. Toowong is too developed for my liking but parts of Taringa are still ok.

St Lucia - backs onto Taringa. Lovely quiet area down by the river (like Fairfield) with lots of little cafes etc. Spoilt IMO by the number of units which have sprung up because of the need for accomodation for Queensland Uni which is located there. Need lots of money to buy a qlder there though LOL.

Greenslopes/StonesCorner/Cooparoo - A little more "busy" & commercial than other areas mentioned, Stones Corner has a busy little shopping precinct that has lots of cafes & discount brand name shopping outlets. Greenslopes has a small shopping mall & a private hospital (bus service only). Train station at Cooparoo & Buranda

Annerley - Slightly west of Greenslopes, it has quite a bit of commercial content (ie shops & small car yards) & a large public hospital. Rail into town. Separated from Greenslopes/Stones Corner by the South East Freeway.

Fairfield - Lovely quiet areas down by the river with beautiful parks. No cafe set to speak of, but worth considering in my view because its so leafy & quiet. Train into town less than 10 mins. Next to Annerley.

All of those areas are very close to the city (less than 5kms) except for Sherwood/Graceville which is about 7kms. Most are pretty expensive, but probably cheaper than Ascot/Paddington (although some are possibly not by much!). As you move out there are many more areas such as Chermside/Zillmere/Nundah, Mitchelton , Morningside, Alderley/Newmarket & Salisbury/Moorooka which all have lots of old Queenslanders & which are much more suburban (& more affordable!).

There are plenty of other places out there Im sure, others may be able to suggest some. It comes down to your budget & priorities. Hope it helps .
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Thanks Mrs Dagboy and Pollyana for your excellent replies.

That's just the type of information I was looking for, but had no-one to ask.

Also sorry about your Mum Mrs Dagboy.

Queenie
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:24 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Queenie .
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

We are moving to the Sunshine Coast but would like to live in the Country, not too far from the coast or amenitites

any idea's ??
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:47 am
HKH
Just Joined

HKH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Joanie Babes
That particular one was white goods only, but you can hire beds etc for a month while your stuff turns up which are quite reasonable. You can even hire linen!!
I have looked into hiring furniture and beds etc. For a family of four it costs ±$600 per week from PABS!! That's before paying another ±$200 a week for rent. Might be cheaper to look for a furnished house.

Last edited by HKH; Oct 7th 2003 at 12:09 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HKH
I have looked into hiring furniture and beds etc. For a family of four it costs ±$600 per week from PABS!! That's before paying another ±$200 a week for rent. Might be cheaper to look for a furnished house.
Furnished accom will be twice the price of unfurnished accom if you can find it. About the only furnished accom you will find is holiday accom and their is plenty of that but at holiday prices. About the only good thing about this is that you would be able to rent on a weekly basis and not have to take a 6 month lease.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 2:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Carrianne, apart from suggesting places like Mapleton, Monteville, Eumundi & Maleny, I cant really help as I dont know alot about the area. But Im sure one of the other super helpful people on here that are local to that area will post something for you .

HKH or anyone else interested in renting accom & furnishings until your stuff gets here, I agree with Paul, try something thats already furnished. For short term why not try something like a serviced apartment?this one looks good . Plenty on that website, although most dont have much info, but its a start.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Carrianne, apart from suggesting places like Mapleton, Monteville, Eumundi & Maleny, I cant really help as I dont know alot about the area. But Im sure one of the other super helpful people on here that are local to that area will post something for you .

Well I did, slipped Carrie a tip about Palmwoods, unfortunately since then the prices have gone up about 70%. Still stuff 350 - 400 tho so cheap for up here now.

Montville and up that way lovely, but quite a long way for any jobs and beaches. Best bet for cheapies is to buy an oldie and do it up, trouble is everyone is looking for them now. People seem to know their prices so well and stick to them. Estates still getting hundreds of names down for blocks of land so prices well loaded, Bellvista in Caloundra probably the cheapest but Not my thing at all.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thank you both, I noticed Dotty, but I have been keeping in contact with the guy from Palmwoods real estate who is so helpful and amazingly he's scottish so we are going to meet up with him on arrival.

Any other tips Dotty what is wrong with Bellvista ? Is this out in the country ?

Carrianne
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Just seen this thread (nobody can call me quick on the uptake!) and thought I should offer my services as a Brit who has now been living in lovely Brisbane for four whole weeks.

Someone mentioned Taringa and that's where I'm living now (very close to Toowong too).

Any questions, please ask and if I don't know I'll try to find out!

Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default know anything about Brisbane

Hi Rachels

When you say you have been in Brisbane for four weeks - have you just emmigrated? If so, can you give me your experiences from when you got off the plane (so to speak) up to where you are now. (e.g. did you stay in a hotel/apartment when you first got there?).

We are about to embark on our "one way flights", and any advice would be greatfully received. We want to move to Brisbane or surrounding areas.

thanks
Kim and Rob

Ps. Can you let us have any names of estates agents and their websites juts so that we can get an idea of how much rent we would expect to pay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.