Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Hi Mrs Dagboy,
Yes, Nundah is also somewhere thats OK still. I think the trick is that I need to get a job quick and then we can get on the ladder asap. There seem to be places around all that area, as long as you spot them quick enough! Mind you, I can't say I fancy the idea of moving again - after the last couple of weeks I never want to see a cardboard box again!

Thanks for the info - am looking forward to meeting you when I finally get there!
No problems Polly, looking forward to meeting you too!

Of course if you wanted to move down this way & get a house built, I know some great blocks of land in a new estate that will be going at a good price in about 18 months time & you will have some really nice neighbours, a lovely couple with 2 kids & the husband is English LOL .
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You never know - 18 months might be about right!!!
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Loads of brilliant info on here. Thanks guys. The yacht club looks great!!

footie chick
Old Oct 5th 2003, 1:26 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
No problems Polly, looking forward to meeting you too!

Of course if you wanted to move down this way & get a house built, I know some great blocks of land in a new estate that will be going at a good price in about 18 months time & you will have some really nice neighbours, a lovely couple with 2 kids & the husband is English LOL .
What sort of boat did you get then Mr/Mrs DB?

Both the wife and I love fishing, and boats, so a boat is HIGH on our list of necessities At first, we will probably get somthing like a 4m tinny, as my father in law says he will give us his spare tralier and outboard, we just need to buy the boat and safety gear. Can't wait !!!
Old Oct 5th 2003, 1:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, we bought a 31' Mustang cruiser. Now we need a tinny as well, otherwise we cant get off the boat except at the marina LOL. Took it out for the first time today & had a ball.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 6th 2003 at 6:16 am.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 4:06 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Pete, we bought a 31' Mustang cruiser. Now we need a tinny as well, otherwise we cant get off the boat except at the marina LOL. Took it out for the first time today & had a ball.
Mrs DB,

THAT is gorgeous. The wife just had to pick me up off the floor, i think i must have fainted with jealousy!!!
Very nice

Eventually, i would like to get a nice fiberglass, but i will probably go for somthing a bit smaller. Have you ever seen the seafarer Vega? Really nice, will definatly be on my list of boats to have a look at. Thing i like about it is that at 18' i could tow it with a 4wd.

I take it from the way you need a tinny you don't moor it against the jetty, do you have a buoy you moor it to? Forgive me i'm not too nautical (yet ). How much does it cost for mooring?

Cheers

A very green Pete.

Last edited by PeteY; Oct 5th 2003 at 4:15 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Mrs Dagboy, It looks like life is really hard for you out there in Brissie!!

I can't wait to join you in the boat membership club. Out of interest how much did the boat cost? pm if you want to keep it secret!!

I don't know how you can afford it on the pitiful wages everyone earns out there lol
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on the Yacht Clubs. The RQYS is a really nice club so we might have guessed it would be expensive. Will look at other Clubs when we eventually get to Brisbane. Particulary like the look of the Mooloolaba Marina and Yacht Club.

What seems to be the most popular sailing boats or motor boats? After years of jumping off jetties and hauling in sheets am trying to persuade hubby to opt for a motor boat!

Jackie
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally posted by readytogo
We will be going to the oiutskirts, like yourselves. i have been looking at Acacia Ridge as it always seems to come up on property searches, which might not be a good sign !

I would like to know what you think of Noosa when you get there as it would be good to get info of other area's.

thanks
Hi there

We have been here almost 2 months and live in Belbowrie on the outskirts of the CBD - about 25 minutes drive. Acacia Ridge, Darra, Inala, Ipswich Wynnum West are classed as low socio econmic areas. We managed to source this from articles written in the local paper and estate agents.

As far as where to live it really depends whether or not you want to live in or near the city.

I can recommend closest to the city first, Toowong, Fig Tree Pocket, Jindalee, Kenmore, West Lake, Chapel Hill, Brookfield, Pinjarra Hills, Pullenvale and Bellbowrie. A lot of people rave about Albany Creek but it's about an hour from the CBD and despite this the properties don't appear that much cheaper than where we are. Wynnum (not West) is supposed to be very up and coming (about 20 minutes off peak, also has a train line and is on/near the bay) and Manly is supposed to be wonderful (although expensive).

Hope this helps
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Guys, for those asking about boats & stuff, I started a new thread so we dont completely sidetrack this thread .

If I had my pick of all the places to live in Brisbane (& money was no object ) & I was looking for a house on a normal block of land (ie not acreage like we have now), I would pick Manly/Wynnum area, Sherwood/Graceville/Chelmer area or Bulimba. But thats me personally - neither Dagboy or I can stand new housing estates with lunchboxes on small blocks of land, we like areas that have lovely old Qld homes, large gardens & leafy suburban streets. But its horses for courses, everyone likes different things .
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Know anythingabout Brisbane

Some advise (take it or leave it ). When you come to Brisbane rent first and then go look at the surrounding areas. , you need to go and look at the areas for yourself. I've lived in Brisbane for the past 5 years and can't answer your question "does anyone know Brisbane" .. you know why? because I do not know every little nook and cranny of Brisbane. And I will only answer on where I have lived. Or the areas I know quite well. I can't say "I Know Brisbane" - I can't say I knew my whole hometown in Wales either .. you think about it. When I moved to where I am , I had to give directions to quite a few of my friends and colleagues who have lived in Brisbane all their life. So even they do not know Brisbane

Regarding Pine rivers shire - Pine covers a huge region. Some of the nicer areas include Dayboro and surrounds. Then for around the petrie region closer to North pine dam /lake samsonvale dam east side(acreages. nestled among gum trees. your only ten to 15 minutes away from the sea.. and a few minutes to the lake/dam. Doles rocks is another beautiful area right down the end. of the road. Strathpine near the boat ramp and reserve is another quiet place, other areas to be considered are Dakabin, Narrangba and Kallangur (all just a hop and a skip to the sea over to the pine river or nearby Deadcliffe/depression Bay. and about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Bribie island... depending what area

Bad areas (well bad to my taste.. overcrowded new estates) Mango hill (new estates) Murrumba downs .. they are near to Redclffe, the mango hill area borders with Redcliffe City council area . and the areas lower down towards the Brisbane boundary.. all seem to be filled with these new built up estates.

Manly, I personally find the place too overcrowded especially on the weekends, I lived near to the region for a few years before I went north( I wanted space, ended up in deadcliffe by the sea.. redcliffe - another cr*p place in my opinion .. and moved to the pine shire region.) I am surrounded in native bushland.. very peaceful except for the fluffy b*ggers in my back garden grunting (mating season here)

. The areas I would consider (near manly)looking into are Thornside and Birkdale which is a bit further down from manly. Birkdale would be my choice for a sea home.( they are up the bay a bit from Wellington point)

Do your research, look at the areas for yourself when you get here, arm yourself with a map and take a drive... explore. It will take you a while.. you can't drive around the whole region in a few days looking at every place /where to live.. I've been in brisbane for five years and I'm still exploring the region and surrounds

Here are a few official sites for you to look at regarding the pine rivers shire:
http://www.brisbanehinterland.com.au...ry/default.htm (fluffy site, puke .. but there a few pics there for you to look at)

http://www.prsc.qld.gov.au/ (Pine rivers shire council site.. there are a load of links there for you to look at)

http://www.reiq.com.au/buySellRent/c...y.asp?CityID=1 (an invaluable site .. use the search at top of page for a profile on a local community)

Cheers
Old Oct 6th 2003, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Joanie Babes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi J
what do you think of Redland Bay, Victoria Point? We have an 11 year old daughter and basically want to live in a nice area, 4/5 bed house with pool near to good school and close to other children so daughter can integrate easily. We are happy for there not to be any loud nightlife!
any tips on areas would be great, thanks too for all the above info
regards
rach
Hi Rach,
If you are looking to be working in Brisbane then Redland Bay is about 30-45 mins by train (frequent service). I have been to that region once to have a look at the villas in Cleveland- oh my lord so, so posh with boat access etc. On the downside, every house looks the same and you are surrounded by very, very rich people.
A colleague of mine lives in Wellington point and his kids love it there (his eldest is 10), as for schooling I am not sure but will ask a few of my mates.
I have not really come across any loud nightlife (pubs and clubs), just afore-mentioned possums which are the downside to living under a big tree- chainsaw here we come!!!

Totally agree with Ceri about renting first, there are loads of places available as Redland Bay area is big with property investors inland (e.g. from Mount Isa) who have loads of expendable cash.
It will also take a while for your stuff to clear customs so you could rent a furnished place for say 3 to 6 months (costs about $while you scope Bris-vegas out.
this is an example of what is out there....
Redland Bay, 4 bed with pool, doube lock-up garage $270 a week. This is with Raywhite.com

Hope this helps,

J

P.S. Just got my permanant residency!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:39 am
HKH
Just Joined

HKH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Joanie Babes
It will also take a while for your stuff to clear customs so you could rent a furnished place for say 3 to 6 months (costs about $while you scope Bris-vegas out. this is an example of what is out there....Redland Bay, 4 bed with pool, doube lock-up garage $270 a week.
Is that price for a furnished house? And what is the minimum period of lease?
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Martin Hales
Thanks Mrs DagBoy and Brisgal for the info on the Brisbane area.
Still totally confused as to where we would like to live.

We are "wrinklies" so won't have to worry about travelling into Brisbane CBD for work and liked the look of Cleveland/Manly areas. Somehow missed Ormiston and wondered what that was like? Also explored Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and decided Sunshine Coast would be more for us - looked at Perigian Springs and Mapleton and Flaxton but then decided we wanted to be on the coast.

Know from previous posts that Mrs DagBoy was looking at the yacht clubs in the Manly area - our hobby is sailing and we did visit the Royal Queensland Yacht Club in Manly but missed the marinas in Mooloolabah - what are the yacht clubs like in general?

Jackie
When my folks first arrived in Australia they stayed in the marina behind Mooloolaba yacht club. We stayed with them on the boat for 6 weeks last year mid Sept until end of Oct. The facilities were average for a marina drinking water was excellent [big factor when your next fill could be 2 months sail away] Toilet and shower block was clean and tidy but the showers trickled rather that flowed. The clubhouse was excellent and the food was first class so was the service we ate there several times after day trips out to save cooking. The berths on the pontoons at the rear no longer belong to the club though why a club like that should see fit to sell such prime assets is mystery to me I guess it's just business.
We also ate out at the surf club, another excellent place, good food and good service, only complaint was it was bloody freezing eating under the aircon. I was pleased to get out into the warm night air for a stroll down the boardwalk home.
Here's a piccy of the marina as the sunset one night.

Last edited by cresta57; Oct 6th 2003 at 7:25 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

some excellent info on Bris. Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.