Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Mrs Dagboy on the property prices - we are looking for somewhere to buy when I get out there, and they have gone up quite steeply in the last few months. We can't see anywhere really under $250k and we are only looking for somewhere for the 2 of us.
Still much much cheaper than the UK - in that I couldn't buy a bedsit here, but can manage a 2 bed house there on the same level of wages.
The websites she mentions are excellent, and certainly the Real Estate on will email you properties weekly if you give it your specificatieons - gives you an idea of how things are moving.
Don't get down hearted - stay fluffy, as she said, but before the kids get too excited have a look at the prices - gone up a lot while Brisgal has been over here - though all the descriptions are fab - and are giving me lots to work on too!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Have to agree with Mrs Dagboy on the property prices - we are looking for somewhere to buy when I get out there, and they have gone up quite steeply in the last few months. We can't see anywhere really under $250k and we are only looking for somewhere for the 2 of us.
Still much much cheaper than the UK - in that I couldn't buy a bedsit here, but can manage a 2 bed house there on the same level of wages.
The websites she mentions are excellent, and certainly the Real Estate on will email you properties weekly if you give it your specificatieons - gives you an idea of how things are moving.
Don't get down hearted - stay fluffy, as she said, but before the kids get too excited have a look at the prices - gone up a lot while Brisgal has been over here - though all the descriptions are fab - and are giving me lots to work on too!
Polly which area are you looking at buying in? Staying around Clayfield area? Good luck if you have the money, we seriously considered houses over there 3 years ago but then put it on the back burner as Dagboys house hadnt sold - then when it finally did sell we couldnt afford to buy there anymore LOL. Well not for what we wanted anyway, 800sqm block with Qlder for under $400k. Prices here have just gone wild, & the buyers are clambering over themselves, sold one house in June within 18 hrs of putting it on the market & for $25k more than we were expecting & then another one last week within 24 hrs for $20K more. Its absolute madness!

Raywhites & Hookers will also email you new listings, problem is most of the houses dont even make it as far as the internet!

Scary info .... agent that just sold our house last week said that one of his offices in the Logan area only had 3 houses for sale on the books. No wonder people are snapping them up so fast!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 3rd 2003 at 11:39 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:55 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Polly which area are you looking at buying in? Staying around Clayfield area? Good luck if you have the money, we seriously considered houses over there 3 years ago but then put it on the back burner as Dagboys house hadnt sold - then when it finally did sell we couldnt afford to buy there anymore LOL. Well not for what we wanted anyway, 800sqm block with Qlder for under $400k. Prices here have just gone wild, & the buyers are clambering over themselves, sold one house in June within 18 hrs of putting it on the market & for $25k more than we were expecting & then another one last week within 24 hrs for $20K more. Its absolute madness!

Raywhites & Hookers will also email you new listings, problem is most of the houses dont even make it as far as the internet!

Scary info .... agent that just sold our house last week said that one of his offices in the Logan area only had 3 houses for sale on the books. No wonder people are snapping them up so fast!
On the web, Fernyhills/Grove and Samford way look pretty nice. Prices seem resonable too, with rental properties available (we will be renting for first 6months to a year), for in the region of 200 to 250 a week (we only need a small house).

Mrs DB, any opinions on the above areas?
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:11 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
On the web, Fernyhills/Grove and Samford way look pretty nice. Prices seem resonable too, with rental properties available (we will be renting for first 6months to a year), for in the region of 200 to 250 a week (we only need a small house).

Mrs DB, any opinions on the above areas?
Pete, it depends what you want. Ferny Grove area is on the outskirts of north western suburbs & is hot in summer. Dont underestimate the heat! Do you need to commute to town? Im pretty sure you dont have any kids so schools etc arent a concern?

Nitty gritty. Ferny Grove is the last stop on the train line, about a 30 min journey into town. Some older houses, some buit in & around pockets of bushland. Ferny Hills mostly new estates from what I remember. Quite a few young families. Buses would run infrequently, but as I mentioned the train is about 30 mins & is clean, safe & extremely reliable & on time. Commute in the car would be about 45 mins on an average day. I know you dont have kids, but for anyone reading that does, I have heard that Ferny Grove primary school is very good, dont know how true it is. Rents will be cheaper there being on the outskirts & it appeals to people with young children who may be struggling just a tad financially. I have a friend who lives at Kepperra (next suburb), she lives in a brick shoebox in a housing estate out there & likes it well enough, but its not my cup of tea .

Samford is further out, see my other comments about the heat :scared: . Its in a valley, bit of a narrow road access, travelling time would be probably just over an hour to work (a bit hard to judge having never done it in peak hour traffic.) Lots of acreage properties & alot of bushland areas. Most of the acreage properties are bush blocks, but more importantly its susceptible to bushfires. In fact its probably one of the few areas in Brisbane that I would classify as a bushfire area/risk. Some other areas get spot fires, but that area can get large fire fronts moving through which would be of concern, to me anyway . Apart from that its a nice area, quite rural & fairly quiet.

BTW both those areas arent actually Brisbane city council, they fall under Pine Rivers Shire I think it is, not much difference to you if you are renting but may make a difference if someone is thinking about buying a house there as different councils have different rates/bylaws etc.

My personal choice in that area was Mitchelton. Lots of nice quiet areas with lovely old queenslanders on larger blocks (800 sqm), a nice community feel to it & very villagy atmosphere at the local shopping precinct (nb. not the large shopping centre nearby, although thats handy as well). Train line right through the middle so easy access to rail for commute & into town in under 20 mins. At the time we were looking (12-15 months ago) it hadnt really boomed yet, Im sure thats changed now though!

If you want more info give me a yell, but I probably wont be able to get back to you today or tommorrow, we're off for the weekend on our new boat, we'll bring you home some fish .
Old Oct 4th 2003, 6:08 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mitchelton sounds reasonable - might have a look at that. The Bloke works in Windsor so we have been thinking of staying in the north Brisbane area - also his family are up in Redcliffe. However we'd already ruled out Clayfield as probably too expensive to pay - though we'll keep an eye on the auctions. Probably end up going slightly further out - we've seen places in Chermside and Zillmere, not too muc further.
Place he's in will be fine for now, at least till I get a decent job, then we can look seriously.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 9:59 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Pete, it depends what you want. Ferny Grove area is on the outskirts of north western suburbs & is hot in summer. Dont underestimate the heat! Do you need to commute to town? Im pretty sure you dont have any kids so schools etc arent a concern?

Nitty gritty. Ferny Grove is the last stop on the train line, about a 30 min journey into town. Some older houses, some buit in & around pockets of bushland. Ferny Hills mostly new estates from what I remember. Quite a few young families. Buses would run infrequently, but as I mentioned the train is about 30 mins & is clean, safe & extremely reliable & on time. Commute in the car would be about 45 mins on an average day. I know you dont have kids, but for anyone reading that does, I have heard that Ferny Grove primary school is very good, dont know how true it is. Rents will be cheaper there being on the outskirts & it appeals to people with young children who may be struggling just a tad financially. I have a friend who lives at Kepperra (next suburb), she lives in a brick shoebox in a housing estate out there & likes it well enough, but its not my cup of tea .

Samford is further out, see my other comments about the heat :scared: . Its in a valley, bit of a narrow road access, travelling time would be probably just over an hour to work (a bit hard to judge having never done it in peak hour traffic.) Lots of acreage properties & alot of bushland areas. Most of the acreage properties are bush blocks, but more importantly its susceptible to bushfires. In fact its probably one of the few areas in Brisbane that I would classify as a bushfire area/risk. Some other areas get spot fires, but that area can get large fire fronts moving through which would be of concern, to me anyway . Apart from that its a nice area, quite rural & fairly quiet.

BTW both those areas arent actually Brisbane city council, they fall under Pine Rivers Shire I think it is, not much difference to you if you are renting but may make a difference if someone is thinking about buying a house there as different councils have different rates/bylaws etc.

My personal choice in that area was Mitchelton. Lots of nice quiet areas with lovely old queenslanders on larger blocks (800 sqm), a nice community feel to it & very villagy atmosphere at the local shopping precinct (nb. not the large shopping centre nearby, although thats handy as well). Train line right through the middle so easy access to rail for commute & into town in under 20 mins. At the time we were looking (12-15 months ago) it hadnt really boomed yet, Im sure thats changed now though!

If you want more info give me a yell, but I probably wont be able to get back to you today or tommorrow, we're off for the weekend on our new boat, we'll bring you home some fish .
Fantastic info, thanks very much !

Looks like I will have to give the Dag family some homemade beer when I get out there
Old Oct 4th 2003, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

readytogo is on a distinguished road

I've just been reading through the recent responses and have found them very informative,

thanks to all who have replied, it has been very useful

cheers
Old Oct 4th 2003, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Martin Hales is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mrs DagBoy and Brisgal for the info on the Brisbane area.
Still totally confused as to where we would like to live.

We are "wrinklies" so won't have to worry about travelling into Brisbane CBD for work and liked the look of Cleveland/Manly areas. Somehow missed Ormiston and wondered what that was like? Also explored Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and decided Sunshine Coast would be more for us - looked at Perigian Springs and Mapleton and Flaxton but then decided we wanted to be on the coast.

Know from previous posts that Mrs DagBoy was looking at the yacht clubs in the Manly area - our hobby is sailing and we did visit the Royal Queensland Yacht Club in Manly but missed the marinas in Mooloolabah - what are the yacht clubs like in general?

Jackie
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:12 pm
I Love Brisbane !

Brisgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys! I hate to burst your bubble, but you will NOT get a house in any of those suburbs for $150k. Not even for $200k.

PS. For those with young daughters, forget the pony idea as well, unless you can afford to buy acreage (harder & harder to get & prices just keep going up & up!), you cant keep a horse on anything zoned residential anyway. Sorry!
Ok I have edited my above post sorry to confuse. I meant there are areas, a fair way out of Brisbane, new estates with house and land packages. A young couple I know recently had a house built in Greenbank (40 mins south of Brisbane city) they got a fair chunk of land for their 2 dogs, 2 car garage, 4 bedrooms and even got the landscaping chucked in for $145K. Again as I said this is in a brand new estate a ways out of Bris. Still if you are used to commuting this is not really as issue.

Maybe do a search if this is the type of thing you are after. Inner City living or for that matter, anything in the Brisbane area has zoomed up in value. My place in Robertson has gone up 25% in value since I have been in the UK (9 months) so prices are rising.

As for the pony comment...sheesh, doesn't anyone watch tv anymore?? LOL I got that comment from Keeping Up Appearances, Mrs Bucket (aka Bouquet) always brags about her sister Rose who has a swimming pool, tennis court and room for a pony. As Mrs Dagboy pointed out you can't keep horses in res areas.

best of luck
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:19 pm
I Love Brisbane !

Brisgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Martin Hales

We are "wrinklies" so won't have to worry about travelling into Brisbane CBD for work and liked the look of Cleveland/Manly areas. Somehow missed Ormiston and wondered what that was like? Also explored Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and decided Sunshine Coast would be more for us - looked at Perigian Springs and Mapleton and Flaxton but then decided we wanted to be on the coast.

Know from previous posts that Mrs DagBoy was looking at the yacht clubs in the Manly area - our hobby is sailing and we did visit the Royal Queensland Yacht Club in Manly but missed the marinas in Mooloolabah - what are the yacht clubs like in general?

Jackie
Hi Jackie,

my grandfather lives in Ormiston. Quite a nice area, not too far from the water and close to Cleveland and the wonderful Saturday markets there. There is a train line that takes you into the middle of Brisbane. My grandfather lives in a townhouse complex, which contains about 30 bungalows and everyone lives independently, note: this is not an aged complex!!! He enjoys the fact that Ormiston is near the water so the breezes are lovely and on the trainline and near the shops. In a nutshell it has everything he needs!!

Can't tell you much about yachting, but as you've been to the RQYC in Manly you will know more than me! As for Mooloolaba, I have been past the Yacht Club many times but never inside, a lovely place Mooloolaba, try this link for the Yacht Club

http://www.mooloolabayachtclub.com.au

best of luck
BG
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

amanda w is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Martin Hales

Jackie
Hi Martin

Have just returned from Moolooba Surf Club, great night out, and are living in Buderim. Haven't been to the Yacht Club yet but will check it our for you, but I quote from this weeks "Weekend Magazine" Moolooba Yacht Club is hosting the State and World Etchell Championships next year , the worlds best will converge here for 12 weeks of sailing with Americas Cup skippers and current world title holder Kiwi Russell Cootes".

Can only say Moolooba "paradise"

If I can be of any more help please PM me.

Amanda
Old Oct 4th 2003, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Know anythingabout Brisbane

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hello again!
does Sophie want Chanelle's email addy? then maybe they could 'get to know each other before we become neighbours!!!'!
Chanelle has days too when she says 'i'll make new friends won't i?' as if she needs to convince herself!
we too like the look of Victoria Point, think that they have one school there for 100 odd kids, i loved the look of it but Chanelle didn't!!!!
No we haven't been to Brisbane before, not even been to Oz! but will go out there (DIMIA willing) and give it our best shots!!!
Redland Bay area looks nice too by the way and Samford although i've read that it is in a valley and gets very very hot in the summer, suits me but i'm not sure about hubby!
keep in touch and if Sophie wants Chanelle's email private message me!
regards
rach & chanelle
Hi

We are moving to Victoria Point ourselves at the beginning of December if all goes according to plan. We spent some time there in April, with my cousin and her family. It is a very nice area and there and 3 primary schools and a high school. Two of the schools are private. Our children (10 & 11) are going to St. Ritas. The state school there looked really nice on the website but me & hubby walked in the gate and straight back out again! It looked very run down. If you would any more info re. school fees or anything else about the area - send PM & I can try to help if possible.

Good luck
Dawn
Old Oct 5th 2003, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Mooloolabah sailing club looks great!

Can you get lessons on how o sail at these clubs?! We would love to start this up when we arrive, it wiuld be a good way of making friends.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 10:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Polly, Zillmere/Chermside with luck will still be affordable, have you checked out Nundah as well? It was on the brink of booming about 12 months ago, not sure if its still simmering or already gone beserk.

Pete, no probs, for a beer Dagboy could probably even be persuaded to take you fishing on the boat .

Brisgal LOL sorry, I completely missed the Keeping up Appearances reference.

As for the Yacht Club questions, we dont belong to one for now, but heres some info anyway . Royal Qld Yacht Squadron at Manly is $1140 to join for the first year for one person :scared: , although you can get just associate membership for a nominal fee & be able to use the club facilities/restaurant etc. If you own a vessel you have to be a full member.Wynnum Manly Yacht Club is much more reasonable @ $383, but the facilities arent as nice as the RQYS. Wynnum Manly Sailing Club are holding a mixed regatta on the 18th Oct, dont know much about the club apart from the fact that its affiliated with WMYC. .Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club also has a sailing club section & they have a very good range of facilities available for members. Thats the one I would like to join, fees are $385 for the first year, but then we have a power boat , (even if its not a trailerable one), not a sailing boat .

As for lessons etc, yes you can get lessons etc Royal Qld Yacht Squadron Sailing School has a number of courses going each weekend.

Sorry cant really help with clubs on the Sunshine Coast etc.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:07 am
Home and Happy

Hi Mrs Dagboy,
Yes, Nundah is also somewhere thats OK still. I think the trick is that I need to get a job quick and then we can get on the ladder asap. There seem to be places around all that area, as long as you spot them quick enough! Mind you, I can't say I fancy the idea of moving again - after the last couple of weeks I never want to see a cardboard box again!

Thanks for the info - am looking forward to meeting you when I finally get there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.