Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Know anythingabout Brisbane

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

readytogo is on a distinguished road
Default Know anythingabout Brisbane

I only found this web site yesterday and found it quite useful. i am just seeing if any of you know much about Brisbane.

I am moving out there next year and am trying to find out which area's are "lush" and which are "slush", what area's are like etc ?

can any one help ?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to get out to Brisbane (for good!) this October. We will be keeping in touch with the site once we get ourselves sorted out and we can let everyone know what we find out.

We did visit this year, though. The city itself is really great. Are you thinking of living in the City or on the outskirts? We are probably going to live on the outskirts and are thinking of Noosa (about an hours drive north). However, we will be doing more research soon.

Kim and Rob.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

This site is really informative

www.ourbrisbane.com.au

footie chick
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Know anythingabout Brisbane

Originally posted by readytogo
I only found this web site yesterday and found it quite useful. i am just seeing if any of you know much about Brisbane.

I am moving out there next year and am trying to find out which area's are "lush" and which are "slush", what area's are like etc ?

can any one help ?
Hi readytogo!
we too are going to brisbane, fancy the Samford, Victoria Point and Redland Bay areas. how far into your process are you? my hubby has just passed the TRA stage and we'll be sending of the biggy early next week!
have a look in the archives using search, may be of some help
best regards
rach
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by rob&kim
We are hoping to get out to Brisbane (for good!) this October. We will be keeping in touch with the site once we get ourselves sorted out and we can let everyone know what we find out.

We did visit this year, though. The city itself is really great. Are you thinking of living in the City or on the outskirts? We are probably going to live on the outskirts and are thinking of Noosa (about an hours drive north). However, we will be doing more research soon.

Kim and Rob.
We will be going to the oiutskirts, like yourselves. i have been looking at Acacia Ridge as it always seems to come up on property searches, which might not be a good sign !

I would like to know what you think of Noosa when you get there as it would be good to get info of other area's.

thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

AussieExport is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gday From A Brisbanite!

I am more then happy to answer any questions about my home city! If you are after a nice area to live in I suppose it depends on what kind of stuff you want/require. Also...if you want an older or new suburb. Here to help though! *grin*
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi readytogo!
we too are going to brisbane, fancy the Samford, Victoria Point and Redland Bay areas. how far into your process are you? my hubby has just passed the TRA stage and we'll be sending of the biggy early next week!
have a look in the archives using search, may be of some help
best regards
rach
Hi Rach

I going on a skilled visa because of my job, my job came back with a clear assessment, and our forms went in yesterday, but we have been advised that it is currently taking 50 weeks to process!!!, hopefully this will quicken up

cheers

david
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rach

I going on a skilled visa because of my job, my job came back with a clear assessment, and our forms went in yesterday, but we have been advised that it is currently taking 50 weeks to process!!!, hopefully this will quicken up

cheers

david
Hi David
yeah the 50 weeks is a nightmare isn't it! i hate waiting for anything, hubby is far more relaxed than i am! what job do you do? we are going over (hopefully) as skilled independants, hubby is a plasterer but sadly not on the Modl so we will have to put up the bond, still little sacrifice to get out of here!
best wishes
rach
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi David
yeah the 50 weeks is a nightmare isn't it! i hate waiting for anything, hubby is far more relaxed than i am! what job do you do? we are going over (hopefully) as skilled independants, hubby is a plasterer but sadly not on the Modl so we will have to put up the bond, still little sacrifice to get out of here!
best wishes
rach
Hi Rach

I'm really impatient too, just wantthings to happen and get living our new life.

I'm an accountant, qualified 18 months ago, and the qualification is in demand or so they tell me ?!my partner works as a carer for a nursing home. got 2 kids as well, one 20 months the other 11

David
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rach

I'm really impatient too, just wantthings to happen and get living our new life.

I'm an accountant, qualified 18 months ago, and the qualification is in demand or so they tell me ?!my partner works as a carer for a nursing home. got 2 kids as well, one 20 months the other 11

David
Hi David
firstly congratulations on becoming a qualified accountant

we have an 11 year old daughter, she thought once we passed the TRA we'd be able to go! she is very excited about the move, how has yours taken it?
does your partner intend to work out there? i don't unless i have to! for the last 4 years i've worked as a secretary for an estate agents, never again!
rach
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi David
firstly congratulations on becoming a qualified accountant

we have an 11 year old daughter, she thought once we passed the TRA we'd be able to go! she is very excited about the move, how has yours taken it?
does your partner intend to work out there? i don't unless i have to! for the last 4 years i've worked as a secretary for an estate agents, never again!
rach
Hi Rach

Sophie, our 11 year old, is about 99% looking forward to it, just the prospect of spiders putting her off although the thought of having a swimming pool in the garden soons puts the smile back on her face !!

I think Jenny will work part time, use it as way of meeting new people but will have to see. we don't know what to do about our belongings? whether to move them or sell and buy new. we had a quote of £4,000 and a time of 5-6 weeks. is it worth it ??

you don't fancy carrying on working for an estate agents then

David
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Rach

Sophie, our 11 year old, is about 99% looking forward to it, just the prospect of spiders putting her off although the thought of having a swimming pool in the garden soons puts the smile back on her face !!

I think Jenny will work part time, use it as way of meeting new people but will have to see. we don't know what to do about our belongings? whether to move them or sell and buy new. we had a quote of £4,000 and a time of 5-6 weeks. is it worth it ??

you don't fancy carrying on working for an estate agents then

David
Hi David (again)

no i don't fancy working for an estate agents again, not countrywide anyway! they are so worried about fees/commissions/their wages etc, not worried that vendors have deadlines to keep, that they may need not want to sell their beloved homes, there is just no compassion or caring, a **** profession to be in!
So Sophie has the same outlook as Chanelle, pool, koalas etc!
We are taking our major furniture, 'white' goods, teles, video/dvd., pc. beds, leather suite, dining table and personal effects as well as all of mark's tools! we aren't taking wardrobes or bedroom furniture as most have built ins/walk ins! we won't be taking either of our cars although i'd love to take my jeep
how have your families taken your decision? ours have been great thankfully
chat soon
rach
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi David (again)

no i don't fancy working for an estate agents again, not countrywide anyway! they are so worried about fees/commissions/their wages etc, not worried that vendors have deadlines to keep, that they may need not want to sell their beloved homes, there is just no compassion or caring, a **** profession to be in!
So Sophie has the same outlook as Chanelle, pool, koalas etc!
We are taking our major furniture, 'white' goods, teles, video/dvd., pc. beds, leather suite, dining table and personal effects as well as all of mark's tools! we aren't taking wardrobes or bedroom furniture as most have built ins/walk ins! we won't be taking either of our cars although i'd love to take my jeep
how have your families taken your decision? ours have been great thankfully
chat soon
rach
Hi

Sophie has just been reading the previous messages and has asked could we move next door !!

think she is a bit worried about finding new friends.

just been looking at property in the Victoria Point Area, very nice. an area to consider at least but not to sure about the schools.

have you been to Brisbane before ?

David
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Welcome to the site!

There are lots of us on here that are aiming for the Brissie area, hopefully we can pass on some useful info between us
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:21 pm
I Love Brisbane !

Brisgal is an unknown quantity at this point

can any one help ?
Welcome! Great to see so many people heading to Brisbane!

I am Brisbane born and have lived there all my life (32 years) apart from the past 8 months where I currently am living in Wales UK with my Brummie boyfriend. Bound for home November 25th!

I am happy to answer any questions about Brisbane.

You asked about Acacia Ridge. It is on the southside of Brisbane, about 10 minutes from the City. The area is quite old and has a bit of industry in parts. Has good public transport and runs off some major arterial roads in and out of Brisbane.

The Brisbane property market has gone boom at the moment. Maybe rental could be an option initially at least til you suss things out.

Someone mentioned Noosa... a lovely place... about 2 + hours drive from Brisbane.. an hour only gets you as far as Caloundra! Much nicer than the Gold Coast, a lot less touristy. If you want a relaxing lifestyle go for somewhere like the North Coast.

As for Brisbane, I prefer the southside. It has excellent public transport, the south east freeway gets you into the City most days with no trouble.. ok some morning's it's like a parking lot but at least you don't have any traffic lights, plus there is a bus lane for those of you who catch the bus!

Brisbane is a City...not a megatropolis like Sydney...many nights I've spent rollerblading around inner city Brisbane are unforgettable.. where else do you have a man-made beach in the middle of the city where they show new movies for free while you laze around on a lilo in the water or a blanket on the grass smelling those lovely steaks on the barbq..mmmmmm

Questions on Brisbane...ask away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.