Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kingaroy, Queensland

Kingaroy, Queensland

Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kingaroy, Queensland

Originally Posted by kcah74
I guess it all depends what you are looking for then huh. Living away from a city, with a quieter life, around friendly people sounds good to us And besides its got so much around that we will be taking full advantage of.... national parks/camping/beautiful beaches 3 hours away. Life is what you make it

With all due respect, almost every single part of Aus has that. Too much for my jaded tastes with 30 years in this country under my belt.

The reason I'm going on about this in your thread.... Is its the one part of this country I'm truly uncomfortable in. It's more down to me than the place... Silly me likes foreigners and freedom of speech.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
With all due respect, almost every single part of Aus has that. Too much for my jaded tastes with 30 years in this country under my belt.

The reason I'm going on about this in your thread.... Is its the one part of this country I'm truly uncomfortable in. It's more down to me than the place... Silly me likes foreigners and freedom of speech.
It really is silly you, I live up here in rural QLD. I don't have a preconceived idea that Melbourne is all gangs & gangland shootings just because I once saw an episode of Underbelly.
Sir Joh was a popular bloke here, shame KevinKrudd isn't as popular in his home state.
He was a dated old school kinda bloke, Australia was full of them though they're a dying breed now.Twenty years & they may all be extinct
Old Jun 14th 2010, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
It really is silly you, I live up here in rural QLD. I don't have a preconceived idea that Melbourne is all gangs & gangland shootings just because I once saw an episode of Underbelly.
Sir Joh was a popular bloke here, shame KevinKrudd isn't as popular in his home state.
He was a dated old school kinda bloke, Australia was full of them though they're a dying breed now.Twenty years & they may all be extinct
Well it was a bit difficult getting passed the endless "Mexican' comments which were freely banded about infront of my kids (far more so than any other part of Aus that I've been too... and I've been around in my 30 years here). to find out what really ticks their boxes. I heard it Ad Nauseum in that region.... So much so that I definitely wont ever go back. The Vitriol aimed at Melbournians seems to die down once you get up to the Tropical regions... where the target is more people from SEQ.

So why the hatred of Melbourne... I figured it truly was political based ? Or just handed down along with Hair lips, Banjos and Cessnas from Generation to Generation.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:03 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was a bit difficult getting passed the endless "Mexican' comments which were freely banded about infront of my kids (far more so than any other part of Aus that I've been too... and I've been around in my 30 years here). to find out what really ticks their boxes. I heard it Ad Nauseum in that region.... So much so that I definitely wont ever go back. The Vitriol aimed at Melbournians seems to die down once you get up to the Tropical regions... where the target is more people from SEQ.

So why the hatred of Melbourne... I figured it truly was political based ? Or just handed down along with Hair lips, Banjos and Cessnas from Generation to Generation.
Hmm, I find that weird, but everyone's experience is different. As a foreigner I've only ever felt welcome in this area. Like Cresta said, could have been a generational thing.

I love it and I'll miss it dearly, and although it's not the right area for us right now, I could certainly see myself coming back up here later in life.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by welshviking
Hmm, I find that weird, but everyone's experience is different. As a foreigner I've only ever felt welcome in this area. Like Cresta said, could have been a generational thing.

I love it and I'll miss it dearly, and although it's not the right area for us right now, I could certainly see myself coming back up here later in life.
You probably weren't driving around in a Vic Registered car, which brings out the Vitriol straight away..... Before I'd even uttered a word in most cases.

Makes Adelaide look like a haven for ex Melbournians.... In fact Adelaide isnt' bad at all.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've not really been subjected to open comments while in that area, but I've always been conscious of sideways looks, especially when I open my mouth and they hear the English accent. Partly I'm sure its cos I married into a town family (not Kingaroy, but within spitting distance for a feral) but I also know that I was a "curiosity" out there because of being foreign. I also remember realising very quickly that people from "south of the border" were referred to as Mexicans - don't think it was deliberately nasty, but I did hear several disparaging comments while I've been out there, enough for me to wonder myself why there was an issue when the people they were referring to were fellow Aussies.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcah74
I guess it all depends what you are looking for then huh. Living away from a city, with a quieter life, around friendly people sounds good to us And besides its got so much around that we will be taking full advantage of.... national parks/camping/beautiful beaches 3 hours away. Life is what you make it

With all respect and I am trying to be delicate and PC here, people are going and etc as the area has a very bad reputation for social problems, and a highly disadvantaged population.

Kingaroy, 'country queensland' probably sounds quite delightful from the UK, to its less flattering meaning in australia, like many states in OZ once you get out the main cities a few hours things can become slightly redneck.

3 hours drive can be a right pain especially on a weekend, novelty of that to reach stuff might wear off real quick!! Some nice national park closer than that though.

A lot depends on your family, probably a house there with a big (dusty) paddock will be quite cheap, and people get into bikes, etc

Aussie country towns/people are either your thing or not, its nothing like UK country BTW, nothing at all.

Can your partner fly out to look at the area before you give up all to move there, its the sort of place you will either love or run screaming from Pollyanna is in the scream basket

Research well and good luck
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:42 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
With all respect and I am trying to be delicate and PC here, people are going and etc as the area has a very bad reputation for social problems, and a highly disadvantaged population.

Kingaroy, 'country queensland' probably sounds quite delightful from the UK, to its less flattering meaning in australia, like many states in OZ once you get out the main cities a few hours things can become slightly redneck.

3 hours drive can be a right pain especially on a weekend, novelty of that to reach stuff might wear off real quick!! Some nice national park closer than that though.

A lot depends on your family, probably a house there with a big (dusty) paddock will be quite cheap, and people get into bikes, etc

Aussie country towns/people are either your thing or not, its nothing like UK country BTW, nothing at all.

Can your partner fly out to look at the area before you give up all to move there, its the sort of place you will either love or run screaming from Pollyanna is in the scream basket

Research well and good luck
Very accurate I wish you could've seen my face the day it was suggested we could actually go and live out there
doesn't come close!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:50 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny how people on the Brisbane side of Kingaroy think it's rough and disadvantaged, where as me living further up the Burnett think it's quite nice, and much better off (education, services, govt funding etc) than where I am.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:41 am
Home and Happy

It's funny how people on the Brisbane side of Kingaroy think it's rough and disadvantaged, where as me living further up the Burnett think it's quite nice, and much better off (education, services, govt funding etc) than where I am.
We used to drive through Gayndah with the doors locked, very scary up your way
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:16 am
live free or die

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We used to drive through Gayndah with the doors locked, very scary up your way
Now I know your disillusioned!

I never lock my car.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:36 am
Home and Happy

Now I know your disillusioned!

I never lock my car.
Now I know you're a local
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Slightly Redneck lol.... I'd like to go to Tennessee to see how they can be more so.

Is Kingaroy one of those areas with the Utes with all the roo shooting lights on and the Gun racks ?

I've seen plenty of those... but cannot recall exactly where. Definitely inland from Cairns... but I think thats more for the real feral pig problem.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The South Burnett website agrees with you

"Kingaroy has the most cosmopolitan feel of any South Burnett township but it's still a relaxed, friendly and informal country town at heart. It has the typical low-humidity semi-alpine climate of all South Burnett townships and is surrounded by extensive (and very picturesque) farmlands interspersed with low rolling hills. The Booie Range lies immediately north-east of the town and the Bunya Mountains about 55km to the south-west."
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly Redneck lol.... I'd like to go to Tennessee to see how they can be more so.

Is Kingaroy one of those areas with the Utes with all the roo shooting lights on and the Gun racks ?

I've seen plenty of those... but cannot recall exactly where. Definitely inland from Cairns... but I think thats more for the real feral pig problem.
I only have a distance memory but I don't remember it as that sort of place....more of a conservative country women's association tea and scones, down to earth, practical but narrow sort of place. To be fair Sir Joh's heyday was a few decades away now so I'm sure the town would have got a lot better....but still relatively conservative.

Sir Joh was a right b#st@rd!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.