Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kids finding jobs - how easy?

Kids finding jobs - how easy?

Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids finding jobs - how easy?

We all hear about moving for the sake of the kids, primarily for younger ones. But I was wondering how difficult your children have found it to land a job that they wanted. Also, have their college/uni lives been happy. Cheers.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids finding jobs - how easy?

Originally Posted by Damson
We all hear about moving for the sake of the kids, primarily for younger ones. But I was wondering how difficult your children have found it to land a job that they wanted. Also, have their college/uni lives been happy. Cheers.
Very hard for our Kevin ... Hard to get a job... Her uk experience wasnt taken seriously... The move impacted on her theres no doubt... But she's settled now.

Whether kids are happy at tafe/uni depends on a lot....
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eddie007
Very hard for our Kevin ... Hard to get a job... Her uk experience wasnt taken seriously... The move impacted on her theres no doubt... But she's settled now.

Whether kids are happy at tafe/uni depends on a lot....
Your daughters called Kevin?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First Born got Permanent Part Time at supermarket at 16. Brilliant as it now fits in around Uni. Loves Uni. As for whether she gets a 'proper' job when she leaves Uni, who knows but she is planning on going woop woop for a couple of years so should be fine. Tiddler has put her resume out to shedloads of places, not a murmur. She's considering RAAF when she leaves school. Apparently.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your daughter is settling well Eddie; it's such a shame that the job quals and experiences between our two countries doesn't seem to dovetail as well as perhaps it should.

Glad that eldest is managing to crack the funding while in Uni problem Moneypenny - taking some of the burden off you no doubt. Hope youngest manages to settle on something she likes - whatever it turns out to be.

What's wrong with Kevin for a girl anyway Tramps_mate?!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My boys never had a problem but it was very much a case of not what you know but who you know and they worked for people who knew people etc. The job market for youngsters is not looking good and some places are worse than others so depends on where you go.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem here either, my teen just about got a job when she got off the plane........lol. No she started school and someone in her class got her a job beside them in his family friends hairdresser on a sat.

Then she turned 16 and has worked ever since, in a homewear shop and now in a underwear shop (which i love, got lots of new undies). She is lucky as the manager fits her shifts around uni.

However she did have a problem getting her underwear job, which she went out and actively looked for as she wasnt getting many shifts at the homewear store. For the underwear job she had a group interview and was v.lucky to get the job.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Great news that jobs are out there, even if it is on a not what you know, but who you know basis. There does seem to be a bit more of this in the Oz culture I've noticed over the time I've been a member of BE. It is a very real issue given the massive unemployment problem we've got here, especially for the young.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI... kevin isnt her real name... Though it should have been... On he I refer to her as Kevin coz when I joined the forum all I ever heard was "aw mum thats not fair" and the slamming of doors... JUst like Kevin and Perry..

Child number two is "Gorgeous" because he is

Child number three is "the hoppalong kid" coz she cut her foot on a piece of glass

Child number. Four is "Mumbles" because he has speech issues relating to his bilateral cleft lip and pallete...

Thought everyone knew that!

And the husband is known as HIM
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eddie007
FYI... kevin isnt her real name... Though it should have been... On he I refer to her as Kevin coz when I joined the forum all I ever heard was "aw mum thats not fair" and the slamming of doors... JUst like Kevin and Perry..

Child number two is "Gorgeous" because he is

Child number three is "the hoppalong kid" coz she cut her foot on a piece of glass

Child number. Four is "Mumbles" because he has speech issues relating to his bilateral cleft lip and pallete...

Thought everyone knew that!

And the husband is known as HIM
There are nutters out there who PM you with crap... Not knowing your childrens names makes it harder for them to get to you personally... They may be few and far between and not on THIS site... But they do exist and once you've had experience of one you dont go there again!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:42 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Youth unemployment is hovering around the 20% mark so it's not easy but like everything else it really depends where you are heading to. I've never bought into this 'better for the kids' fallacy, there are too many variables for it to just apply universally, for some yes and for others no.

Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Always plenty of work for 16 - 20 year old's around Sydney.

Usually all temp work though, it is permanent work that is hard to get!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is the problem, so much work is now temporary or casual.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm reading more and more about how temporary is becoming the norm and also part-time. Bit worrying all round as I can't think you have many rights as a worker. Sadly eddie007, you are right and a bit of "distance" is wise. Personally my two are just called "shut" and "up" - coz I wish they would! Cheers
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:16 pm
Banned

Australia is now second only to Spain for the number of casual workers in the workforce. As a casual you more or less work day to day and yes you are right you have few rights and entitlements.

I'm reading more and more about how temporary is becoming the norm and also part-time. Bit worrying all round as I can't think you have many rights as a worker. Sadly eddie007, you are right and a bit of "distance" is wise. Personally my two are just called "shut" and "up" - coz I wish they would! Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.