Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Keeping a Car in Storage - Is Registration Required in QLD?

Keeping a Car in Storage - Is Registration Required in QLD?

Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Roscoec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping a Car in Storage - Is Registration Required in QLD?

I am travelling back to England for a few months and so will not be using my car and intend to keep it in storage. The vehicle registration expires at the end of this month, August, do I have to renew it or is there an SORN system here in Australia. I live in Buderim, in Queensland, QLD? Can I just let the registration expire and then when I come back in a few months - possibly in excess of 6 months, renew it without any penalty or paying back monies? Hope someone can help, Clive
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Keeping a Car in Storage - Is Registration Required in QLD?

I'm afraid not if you let it expire you will get hit with a late payment fee and when you renew it will be backdated to the date the renewal was due anyway. The only way around this is to deregister your vehicle hand in the rego plates and then go through the hassle of registering when you return (which would require a safety certificate from a licensed garage and as the car is un registered you've the hassle of getting it to the garage somehow)

Queensland Government reaps millions from late car registration, insurance penalty fees
Old Aug 26th 2015, 9:30 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

So the rego is expiring in less than a week and it's not possible to renew before the OP leaves? That's can't be right - surely there are TONS of people in similar situations (going on cruises, etc.).
Old Aug 26th 2015, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
So the rego is expiring in less than a week and it's not possible to renew before the OP leaves? That's can't be right - surely there are TONS of people in similar situations (going on cruises, etc.).
I don't think the OP was saying they couldn't renew it (you can pay it online), rather whether they could purposely let it lapse to avoid paying for the period they are away.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Roscoec is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Kiwipaul for such a prompt response.

I did manage to speak to someone at the Department of Transport and it is not as simple as that; IF I am away for OVER three (3) months, then I simply let the rego lapse and when I return, I am allowed to drive directly to a garage to get a safety certificate and can re-register. Cost of safety cert at approx $74.75 plus cost of 3rd party insurance prior to having rego.

IF I returned within 3 months, then I would be faced with paying all the back rego and with a fine of $56.

I have asked for e-mail confirmation and will update the thread if/when I receive it.

What's an 'OP' people, please?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roscoec

I did manage to speak to someone at the Department of Transport and it is not as simple as that; IF I am away for OVER three (3) months, then I simply let the rego lapse and when I return, I am allowed to drive directly to a garage to get a safety certificate and can re-register. Cost of safety cert at approx $74.75 plus cost of 3rd party insurance prior to having rego.

IF I returned within 3 months, then I would be faced with paying all the back rego and with a fine of $56.

I have asked for e-mail confirmation and will update the thread if/when I receive it.

Original poster - in this case you, as you started the thread
Old Aug 27th 2015, 11:27 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roscoec

As a motorist in Qld for nearly 37 years who has never heard of this advice, this may sound a silly question but what if, on the off chance that you are stopped on your way to the garage, driving an unregistered vehicle by the Police (fine and demerit points because you are technically committing a traffic offence), or heaven forbid are involved in an fatal/non-fatal traffic accident (fine, demerit points and/or legal litigation), it will cost you far more than what you save.

If this is legit, I get a mate with a towbar, a car trailer, and tow your car to a DTMR approved and accredited inspection workshop......less hassle.

Interesting to hear the update.....

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 27th 2015 at 11:38 am.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Original poster - in this case you, as you started the thread
or Old Person as in my case.