Reload this Page >

Kalgoorlie Relocatioin

Kalgoorlie Relocatioin

Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Kimurajoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kalgoorlie Relocatioin

Hi there

I've been accepted by a company in Kalgoorlie to start working with them ASAP. I'm reluctant due to the location and now getting concerned with regards to the hourly rate ($36ph). They said they'd accommodate me for 4 weeks. Then it's down to myself to find something.

Is this rate the going rate for a Boilermaker in the area?

Any advice would be great

Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kalgoorlie Relocatioin

Prices have fallen a lot in Kal recently. I would check out realestate.com.au

Are you currently in oz?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

No not at the moment. But seen a post from only last month for an electriction enquiring about the same thing. People said 40 dollars ph for him was taking the piss. And that was only a house hold spark.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimurajoe
No not at the moment. But seen a post from only last month for an electriction enquiring about the same thing. People said 40 dollars ph for him was taking the piss. And that was only a house hold spark.
What visa are you going to be moving on? Are the company sorting out a 457 or are you expected to have a visa of your own?

And for $36/hr I personally wouldn't do it. But that's just me.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

No I've to do it plus pay my own flights. I get reimbursed after 12 months.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa do you plan to come on then? You can't just rock up and work without the correct visa.

Oh, and without a visa, having to pay your own flights, etc. I definitely would not even consider it for $36/hr. I'm a secretary FFS and I make close to that.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

The one you stated above. They have sent me the application forms
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:55 pm
Still alive

The one you stated above. They have sent me the application forms
For what? A 457? The company has to go through a process of being an approved sponsor, nominating you, then you apply
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I'm sure that's it. To be honest I've been more concerned with the location and hourly rate. Than filling out the forms, I've been looking for creditable evidence for me to provide but keep finding things that are putting me off.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:03 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The mining industry has turned down significantly in the past year, with wages no longer at the '$100k for a gardener' level they used to be. With it the cost of housing has begun to fall, but not enough as yet.

Frankly I'd say $75k to live in Kalgoorlie, particularly on a 457 and with little company support is not worth it. FIFO would be better from the standpoint of having a life, but Perth is still far too expensive. Companies also seem to be trying to avoid FIFO now - it's a buyers market in the resources sector at the moment.

A quick look around the job sites suggest $42-48ph is more like it for those already onsite - so only worth it if you are looking to enter this declining market and know what you are getting yourself into (there are a hell of a lot of ads for "shutdown boilermaker".
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks GaryP

They are advertising £90,000 salaries in a uk agency site. Is this a declining sector now even thou they are still advertising. I wasn't on planning on staying forever. Was going to use the job as a stepping stone to get offshore. Like I am at the moment. But the money needs to be right so I can still live and enjoy my free time. So $36ph is way below average?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:41 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks GaryP

They are advertising £90,000 salaries in a uk agency site. Is this a declining sector now even thou they are still advertising. I wasn't on planning on staying forever. Was going to use the job as a stepping stone to get offshore. Like I am at the moment. But the money needs to be right so I can still live and enjoy my free time. So $36ph is way below average?
Not sure if it's way below average today, given that they'd have to get you in etc. - but they are certainly looking for cheaper workers who aren't used to the higher salaries that used to be paid, and don't know what life in an outback mining town is like.

Need to tot up exactly how much it would cost you (you might find it doesn't add up) and if you did jump in, have an exit route already worked out. I wonder where the FIFO crowd are headed now, it might be better to cut out the middle step.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:56 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Technically I don't think a Sponsor is allowed to do that. They must reimburse you within 30 days of you requesting reimbursement, whether you can 'contract out' of that by agreeing to it, I dunno, doesn't sound legit.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, the company sound very dodgy. I would stay clear.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

irrespective of the legalities of the 457 and the employer (Which I suspect is very common anyway)

$36ph in Kalgoorlie...no thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.