Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just signed lease, about to pay Bond BUT just discovered...

Just signed lease, about to pay Bond BUT just discovered...

Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough
Default Just signed lease, about to pay Bond BUT just discovered...

Would like some advice quickly on this. Recently arrived in Sydney. Just found a nice rental, signed lease yesterday. This was all arranged through the landlord who didn't use an agent.

I've just found out that there is going to be heavy building work for 10 weeks which will mean scaffolding and netting completely obscuring the view - the view being the whole reason I rented the place. Landlord said nothing except that there would be some building work on the back of the building.

What should I do? I haven't paid the bond yet but I've paid a certain amount of rent up front which I'm willing to walk away from.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:29 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just signed lease, about to pay Bond BUT just discovered...

Originally Posted by spectralcluster
Would like some advice quickly on this. Recently arrived in Sydney. Just found a nice rental, signed lease yesterday. This was all arranged through the landlord who didn't use an agent.

I've just found out that there is going to be heavy building work for 10 weeks which will mean scaffolding and netting completely obscuring the view - the view being the whole reason I rented the place. Landlord said nothing except that there would be some building work on the back of the building.

What should I do? I haven't paid the bond yet but I've paid a certain amount of rent up front which I'm willing to walk away from.
Legally I dont know where you stand....might be worth giving these guys a call http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/re...terenting.html
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:31 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

10 weeks isn't that long to wait. If you really like the place, give it a chance. The work must be to make the place better.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
10 weeks isn't that long to wait. If you really like the place, give it a chance. The work must be to make the place better.
I agree it isn't a huge amount of time if you love the house. However, how settled you feel in the house could make an impact on any feelings of being in oz. Maybe making you question the move over here?
Obviously this is worst case but I know I'm loving it here because we fell on our feet and found a great house. I also know that whilst we were staying in temporary accommodation I hated it because of the noise of other tenants and the quality of the places we were staying.
BUT it is only 10 weeks and as PP said, it might even make the place better!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:39 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

or if you are happy to wait the ten weeks, ask for the weekly rental to be reduced until the work is done
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by biggy
or if you are happy to wait the ten weeks, ask for the weekly rental to be reduced until the work is done
Yes definitely!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies but staying is obviously an option I've thought of and have ruled it out for certain reasons. I spoke to reloc/migration agent and they believe it's material nondisclosure to neglect to mention the place is going to be turned into a building site.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:37 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Pick up the phone and call the landlord to air your grievance and see if they are willing to make amends is the first thing to do. First decide what you want, ie a reduction in rent, to get out of the lease etc.
Unless the landlord is a two headed monster then this seems like a great starting point.

Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:47 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pony
Pick up the phone and call the landlord to air your grievance and see if they are willing to make amends is the first thing to do. First decide what you want, ie a reduction in rent, to get out of the lease etc.
Unless the landlord is a two headed monster then this seems like a great starting point.
fully agree on this approach
the 10 weeks could blow out to 15, then you're losing out the view at it's best time of the summer... i know this because we had a penthouse there for a year
where you're renting you'll find plenty on offer at the moment, but give it a few weeks and all the summer renters will be coming in and snapping things up
sort this out now with the landlord or find somewhere else
if you do come to an agreement to stay, make sure it's on a rolling weekly basis in case the maintenance does take longer
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies but staying is obviously an option I've thought of and have ruled it out for certain reasons. I spoke to reloc/migration agent and they believe it's material nondisclosure to neglect to mention the place is going to be turned into a building site.
I'm afraid that tenants are screwed in many cases: it's the "Australian Way".

Our first rental: they raised the rent before we moved in because of "mistaken advertising".

The second rental: we were told that the landlord had no intention of selling while we wanted to stay: the next week he arranged a valuation and it went on the market.

The third rental: a month into a year's lease we had a knock on the door by the bailiffs: the landlord hadn't paid any interest or capital on a $2.8m loan for six months and we were to get out within 21 days....

I sometimes think, with justification, there's not an honest individual in the place.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm afraid that tenants are screwed in many cases: it's the "Australian Way".

Our first rental: they raised the rent before we moved in because of "mistaken advertising".

The second rental: we were told that the landlord had no intention of selling while we wanted to stay: the next week he arranged a valuation and it went on the market.

The third rental: a month into a year's lease we had a knock on the door by the bailiffs: the landlord hadn't paid any interest or capital on a $2.8m loan for six months and we were to get out within 21 days....

I sometimes think, with justification, there's not an honest individual in the place.
Yes, there was something about that on the news today (well not your case obviously )

They were saying it's about time they introduced new laws to protect the tenant more - I agree. It does seem that the ball is firmly in the landlords court and they can do what they like.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, there was something about that on the news today (well not your case obviously )

They were saying it's about time they introduced new laws to protect the tenant more - I agree. It does seem that the ball is firmly in the landlords court and they can do what they like.
Yep!

In NSW at least, even if you have a year's lease if the landlord defaults it becomes null and void and in principle you have to get out within 21 days. And if you manage to find another place during that time you are still liable for the rent AND advertising costs for the remainder of the 21 days!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Yep!

In NSW at least, even if you have a year's lease if the landlord defaults it becomes null and void and in principle you have to get out within 21 days. And if you manage to find another place during that time you are still liable for the rent AND advertising costs for the remainder of the 21 days!

That's really crap. I couldn't tell you what the law is here in SA.

I know when we gave up our lease, the agent was in no hurry to find new tennnats and it cost us nearly $1500 in rent, advertised, re-letting fees etc for 3 weeks. We'd paid 4 weeks in advance when we moved out, as we thought it would have gone by then.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You have to look at it from the lender's point of view: if he had to honour say a ten year lease it would be inequitable to him. Doesn't make it very comfy for the tenant though!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:14 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Who exactly said the work will take 10 weeks?

Just that these things have a habit of running over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.