Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Just getting started

Just getting started

Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Bump is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just getting started

Hi. We are trying to find out about moving to Aus and have some basic questions to ask anyone.

My wife was born in Australia then moved to England when she was 2. As she has an Aussy birth certificate, we applied for and got an Australian passport. Straight after that, we applied and got citizenship for our now 5 year old daughter. We have been married for 15 years.

As they are entitled to move over at any time, where do I stand as far as visas and working.

Would my wife be entitled to anything to start off with (ie benefits, child allowance or what ever they have over there.

Ian
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just getting started

Originally Posted by Mr_Bump
Hi. We are trying to find out about moving to Aus and have some basic questions to ask anyone.

My wife was born in Australia then moved to England when she was 2. As she has an Aussy birth certificate, we applied for and got an Australian passport. Straight after that, we applied and got citizenship for our now 5 year old daughter. We have been married for 15 years.

As they are entitled to move over at any time, where do I stand as far as visas and working.

Would my wife be entitled to anything to start off with (ie benefits, child allowance or what ever they have over there.

Ian
She is a citizen so she is entitled to everything.

You would need to arrange a spouse visa though which would give you residence, fully working ability etc. The only thing you can't do really is vote and have some selected government jobs which are citizen only.

You can then apply for citizenship yourself once you have met the residence and other requirements down the track after you have moved here.

The spouse visa is quicker and easier than a skilled visa so it should all be relatively smooth for you.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Bump is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
She is a citizen so she is entitled to everything.

You would need to arrange a spouse visa though which would give you residence, fully working ability etc. The only thing you can't do really is vote and have some selected government jobs which are citizen only.

You can then apply for citizenship yourself once you have met the residence and other requirements down the track after you have moved here.

The spouse visa is quicker and easier than a skilled visa so it should all be relatively smooth for you.
Thanks, I dont know much about the visa process. is there a link or a forum to find out about it?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr_Bump
Thanks, I dont know much about the visa process. is there a link or a forum to find out about it?
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...-visas-all.htm
and follow the links for info on Partner or Spouse visas You should be eligible for permanent residency straight away and will not have to be on the temporary part of the visa first.