Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

IMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant future
Default Re: Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Thanks for the very helpful response.

The rates in Aberdeen have risen quite sharply over the last year or so and are currently $60 - $92 dependant on experience. PDMS in London will get a maximum of $102.

Obvioulsy cost of living, tax etc etc has to be taken into consideration.

Whats Brisbane like? I hear there is work there as well, and its meant to be nice.

What is the normal situation with regards taking on UK residents, are Engineering companies keen on sponsoring you?

We have only been to Sydney (last year), but we are going down in September - October to check out Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold coast.

Jimbo, I will definetly be in touch, bit we are planning to move this time next year.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IMS PIPER

The rates in Aberdeen have risen quite sharply over the last year or so and are currently $60 - $92 dependant on experience. PDMS in London will get a maximum of $102.

Whats Brisbane like? I hear there is work there as well, and its meant to be nice.

What is the normal situation with regards taking on UK residents, are Engineering companies keen on sponsoring you?

We have only been to Sydney (last year), but we are going down in September - October to check out Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold coast.

Jimbo, I will definetly be in touch, bit we are planning to move this time next year.

Thanks again!
I did a 6 month contract in Brisbane until recently - seconded from Perth - very similar to Perth actually, probably not quite so much work but again a lot of oil gas and engineering going on - both cities are pretty similar - they're by far and away my favourite places in Oz, Brissy has a nice tropical climate - but rains a lot in summer - Perth is a bit cold in winter and really warm to hot in spring/summer - Brissy has more to do probably and isnt quite so isolated, but I like Perth for that reason, check them out. Aberdeen may have some nice rates but it's bloody freezing, I look at it as i'm on holiday 24/7 and they pay me lots of money for the privalage!

To add Aussie engineering companies are always keen for UK people - got a good work ethic - you'll find here at least half the people you work with are pommy expats anyway!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

IMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant futureIMS PIPER has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I did a 6 month contract in Brisbane until recently - seconded from Perth - very similar to Perth actually, probably not quite so much work but again a lot of oil gas and engineering going on - both cities are pretty similar - they're by far and away my favourite places in Oz, Brissy has a nice tropical climate - but rains a lot in summer - Perth is a bit cold in winter and really warm to hot in spring/summer - Brissy has more to do probably and isnt quite so isolated, but I like Perth for that reason, check them out. Aberdeen may have some nice rates but it's bloody freezing, I look at it as i'm on holiday 24/7 and they pay me lots of money for the privalage!

To add Aussie engineering companies are always keen for UK people - got a good work ethic - you'll find here at least half the people you work with are pommy expats anyway!
Its actually quite nice today for a change!

Thanks for the info.

Say you wanted to move at a certain time. Give or take a few weeks.
What timescale would you give between applying to companies and wanting to move?
What would happen with Visa's and sposorship generaly?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Its actually quite nice today for a change!

Thanks for the info.

Say you wanted to move at a certain time. Give or take a few weeks.
What timescale would you give between applying to companies and wanting to move?
What would happen with Visa's and sposorship generaly?
Well if you go sponsored you'll have to wait until the visa is approved then can only work for that company. If you were to go on say a working holiday visa, I wouldn't worry too much about pre-arranging a job before you come out as companies are recruiting all the time, but you could try for piece of mind.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:16 am
Just Joined

daren.wr9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi probably in the wrong place, but new to the site so please bear with me.

Excellent thread by the way.

Anyway....
I am currently fully trained to UK standard in Security Control Room.
Is it even feasible that I will get over to Aus using this profession?

Am currently looking into Sponsored 457 visa but keep getting slammed back down.

If anyone has any contacts, i'd be grateful for the info...I really need to get out of this country.

cheers guys
Daz
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The latest Ambit engineering salary index for WA. For Qld rates would be slightly less,and for the rest of the country, quite a bit less.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

What about a retail Manager in Melbourne area?

Thanx
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:10 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

A useful site

http://www.ambitengineering.com.au/salaryindex/
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Mandee is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if anyone knew what the typical wages for and earlychildhood educator is (ie working in day care with children under 6). as well as the typical wages for a nanny around the Brisbane area.

i have loks of experinces i have worked as a nanny for a few years, have canadian qualifications for working in a daycare/preschool with children under 6 mainly and have also worked for disney cruises lines as a youth programmer...what kind of money would i look at making...thanks so much
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

noddynoble is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Jobs / Wages thread - Part Two

Hi, Can anyone tell me if Australia allow driving instructors to emigrate there. I have seen a list but wasn't sure if it was comprehensive.

I have been an A.D.I for 5 years and would be looking at Adelaide in particular as I like the way lessons and tests are set up.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice

Hi,

Great thread thanks for all the work.

Does anyone know the going rates for a fully qualified Uk achitect in Perth? We're aiming to be moving there summer 2008 or 2009, other half is a qualified nurse.

Cheers in advance.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Idlewood
Hi,

Great thread thanks for all the work.

Does anyone know the going rates for a fully qualified Uk achitect in Perth? We're aiming to be moving there summer 2008 or 2009, other half is a qualified nurse.

Cheers in advance.
Try mycarreer.au/ go to salary link
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I work in Perth for the largest engineering co in Oz, and have worked in Melbourne too, as a design drafter. Rates for designers are very high in Perth right now, probably the best paid in the world - for PDMS well I only know of Hatch that uses this specifically, but most design software is similar - if you can use the predecessor PDS you'll be laughing, we use this, Microstation, AutoCAD & Autoplant for the bulk of design, any experience in these will get you between $35 - $100 per hour depending in experience in Perth. Melbourne is totally different expect half the rates Perth has, there's simply not the same amount of work on. Mail me if you want to get into Perth as its better to go direct rather than through agency and companies (esp mine!!) offer big bonus payouts for getting staff in...
Hi Jimbo,
can you tell me please (eg by PN), for which engineering company you work for?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ketty
Hi Jimbo,
can you tell me please (eg by PN), for which engineering company you work for?
The largest engineering company in Australia is Worley Parsons.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!
An old post I know but only just picked it up. My husband works for Transfield Worley which has the maintenance contracts for a couple of the offshore platforms up north. They use PDMS and a few of the projects such as NR2 are using it too. The Australians don't like change and it will take a while for PDMS to be as popular as PDS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.