Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs for partners in mining

Jobs for partners in mining

Old May 1st 2012, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Nat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs for partners in mining

Hi, my partner has been offered a job in MacKay, FIFO and I want to be with him on the mine doing whatever I can. We are hoping to get the same shifts. Any pointers on companies I can contact? Originally it was Perth and they said no problem getting me trained for driving trucks, but a tick on visa meant he 'wasn't qualified' for the job the guy wanted him to do. Any how any ideas? anyone out there who has been in similar situation?
Old May 1st 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Jobs for partners in mining

Anyone explain the sad little thumbs down?!!!
Old May 1st 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nat83
Anyone explain the sad little thumbs down?!!!
Yeah, you changed the post icons from "no icon" to "red thumb down" when you created the thread.
Attached Thumbnails Jobs for partners in mining-icon.jpg  
Old May 1st 2012, 12:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Removed it for you.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!!! Didn't want it putin any one off!!! Moneypenny you sem to be answering lot of queries, got any suggestions?
Old May 1st 2012, 12:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!!! Didn't want it putin any one off!!! Moneypenny you sem to be answering lot of queries, got any suggestions?
Nope sorry. No clue about mining whatsoever. There are a few on here in the industry though so give them time to get up, have breakfast, go to work, come home again, find time to get on the internet etc etc etc.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

haha will do, thanks again
Old May 1st 2012, 7:10 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have mining experience? Or any of the relevant courses or skills? You could try BMA in Mackay if you do - I'd be very surprised if they train from scratch.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

no, the guy in Perth didn't seem to think this was a problem, 6 months training in Perth then start FIFO but I'm getting a different vibe with MacKay. He was the manager, but now we're dealing with HR...just have to wait and see I guess!

I see your living on a yacht in MacKay, sounds great!! Are you a MacKay basher or are you enjoying your stay?!!
Old May 1st 2012, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

no, the guy in Perth didn't seem to think this was a problem, 6 months training in Perth then start FIFO but I'm getting a different vibe with MacKay. He was the manager, but now we're dealing with HR...just have to wait and see I guess!

I see your living on a yacht in MacKay, sounds great!! Are you a MacKay basher or are you enjoying your stay?!!
The guy in Perth was talking out his bottom. If it were that easy don't you think that a whole lot more of us would be doing it?

Take a read of the other thread here "Rio Tinto to hire 6000" or something to that effect. It outlines some of the issues in trying to work in the mines, not the least of which is those with lack of mine experience are generally knocked back right off.

From personal knowledge (2 of my good friends' partners work FIFO in WA) the non-mine type jobs like unskilled work or admin go to locals.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of jobs are by word of mouth. My advice is to wait till your partner starts and gets his feet under the table and then see what he can get you. However, don't bank on being on the same shift or roster and this is a big problem for a lot of couples that work in mining even when on the same site
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my partner has been offered a job in MacKay, FIFO and I want to be with him on the mine doing whatever I can. We are hoping to get the same shifts. Any pointers on companies I can contact? Originally it was Perth and they said no problem getting me trained for driving trucks, but a tick on visa meant he 'wasn't qualified' for the job the guy wanted him to do. Any how any ideas? anyone out there who has been in similar situation?
This would be very rare on mine sites. Everyone is on different shift patterns/rosters - and this is for the benefit of the company and not the individual. All accomodation on site is in single rooms, and sharing is not allowed, although it does go on - plenty of affairs happening up there! There are families living in resource towns like Newman, Tom Price, Karratha, Mackay etc but then they do not have FIFO benefits and they are tough towns to live in.
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:34 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I think much of Mackay to be honest but I have visited nice places nearby. Airlie is much nicer and the Whitsundays are lovely. Mackay often gives people a start in Oz and when they get PR move somewhere else which is our plan. If you're coming from the UK the novelty value of beaches, lovely nearby national parks and the sun will keep you going for a while so don't listen to me. It's just the actual town itself - not a lot there and a bit bogan. Plenty of Brits to meet up with though.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This would be very rare on mine sites. Everyone is on different shift patterns/rosters - and this is for the benefit of the company and not the individual. All accomodation on site is in single rooms, and sharing is not allowed, although it does go on - plenty of affairs happening up there! There are families living in resource towns like Newman, Tom Price, Karratha, Mackay etc but then they do not have FIFO benefits and they are tough towns to live in.
Actually, some of the companies do allow couples to share. Anglogold, my last employer has double rooms with double bed for couples. But they are limited and there is a wait list. They also encourage families to visit site and staff can book a double room for the weekend or even a guest house so children can come. Mess even has high chairs.

Got to say, I wouldn't want to do residential in a small mining town. A previous employer tried to persuade me to in Cobar, I said it would need a salary review, he said how much? I said write down my salary and while I go and make a coffee just keep adding zeros. That was the last time he asked
Old May 3rd 2012, 10:57 am
Just Joined

dieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nice

My wife & I both work at the same U/G mine for the past 5 years, both on an 8&6 roster.
I started first as an U/G sparkie, was their for 6 months, then she started as mine control on the surface then went U/G and has progressed through the ranks from U/G Truckie, service crew, charge up and now on a bogger.
She had no previous experience,was office based back in UK.
So it can happen, just depends on your luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.