Reload this Page >

Perth SOR-Primary Schools

Perth SOR-Primary Schools

Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:54 am
Just Joined

lhanna01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth SOR-Primary Schools

Hi all,

Currently making plans for moving to Perth SOR and I wanted to ask can anyone advise me of teaching styles in primary schools, Do they follow similar programs e.g Jolly Phonics. I do hear Australian schools are of high standard and anyone with children of primary school age could share their experiences of settling their children into school that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth SOR-Primary Schools

Originally Posted by lhanna01
Hi all,

Currently making plans for moving to Perth SOR and I wanted to ask can anyone advise me of teaching styles in primary schools, Do they follow similar programs e.g Jolly Phonics. I do hear Australian schools are of high standard and anyone with children of primary school age could share their experiences of settling their children into school that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.
Pass the popcorn... Here we go again!!!!!

Asking about Education in Australia is one sure way to start a bun fight here!!

We found the public school our children went to was VERY different, more laid back, less stress on the child, less demanding than the uk, where they had been in a "very good" church school.... This doesnt suit everyone who comes from the uk... Many people choose private because it is accessibly "cheap" and is more in lines with uk schooling and teachingnstyles.... Depends on your child and how you feel as to which you prefer... Ours did much better here. Our school refuser became school captain within a year and a half of being in the australian system, and hopalong kid was recipient of their Citizen award at her graduation....

It also depends on how you pray, if you do at all.... There are under pupil'd over funded very good catholic schools that can refuse your child a place if they have met their quota of non catholics, even if they have space in your childs year... Not that I'm bitter at all...LOL

What area SOR are you planning on looking at? There is a lot of variation... Are you moving so you are in a good schools catchment? If so which schools have you looked at????? And thinking ahead, what senior school catchment will you be in.... Given our time again there is no way I would have agreed to ours going to shocko high.... I would have fought tooth and nail to finance a private school, or brought in a better high school catchment... But heck, hind sight is twenty twenty vision.....
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only places you have a chance i know of are rossmoyne and willeton- otherwise LOWER standards than UK for SURE
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:40 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.
These might help

http://www.myschool.edu.au/SchoolSearch.aspx
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/home.do
http://www.privateschoolsdirectory.c...th-schools.php
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replys. We were thinking of secret harbour, all I read seems good but I was more interested in the particular activities children do in school in in relation to UK schools.

Thanks for the website suggestions, I do check schools on there.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replys. We were thinking of secret harbour, all I read seems good but I was more interested in the particular activities children do in school in in relation to UK schools.

Thanks for the website suggestions, I do check schools on there.
I would contact the schools in and around secret harbour and ask them specifically whether they use any activities you would recognise from the uk...
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Great thanks all.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

annamichael is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the age that children are by law meant to be in school in western autralia?

Anna
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

I think it is 6yrs, but I know it very much depends on when their birthday is in relation to the school year.