Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Had to look that up. I don't even remember there being such a place when I worked there, it might have been called something else. Seeing Hungry Jacks made me smile. Back in the day, right next door to Hungry Jacks was a big McDonalds. One day Hungry Jacks had a 'mysterious fire' and was shut for ages

Couple of years later McDonalds closed and an electronics place opened up there. Looks like Hungry Jacks prevailed

Nth Sydney Tavern had the stickiest carpet known to man but the did have Sega Rally. Berry St Tevern was good for a drink on a Friday and The Station pub used to do very cheap lunches if you bought a very expensive soft drink.

For a guy that doesn't drink, I spent a lot of time in pubs there.
Its just office workers booze joints. I can't imagine a Saturday night is happening in Nth Syd. I'd rather an office in the city to be honest.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Its just office workers booze joints. I can't imagine a Saturday night is happening in Nth Syd. I'd rather an office in the city to be honest.

Yeah not much going on. The Commodore was about the liveliest. TBH though, I never found Sydney City itself to be very lively outside of work hours. DH and Cockle Bay Wharf for sure and the usual places like Glebe and Balmain but the city itself is really very quiet for such a big place.

I've never found Sydney people really keen on working and 'playing' in the same place. I liked Sydney for the competitive surfing circuit and obviously for cycle racing but all this was northern beaches or Cronulla based. Personally, if the city itself didn't exist but the jobs in places like Nth Syd, Chatswood and North Ryde did, I wouldn't miss the city at all.

I've just taken a new job in the UK, so we'll be here longer than planned but it's a global company and the chances of international relocation are pretty good. My serious surfing days are over and looking at the family needs, I can see us looking at Melbourne very seriously when we return.

I think ( and it's just my opinion), it has a better mix of ' everything/everywhere' rather than the very isolated pockets of Sydney. Meaning that Sydney has everything but a lot of the time it's a case of ' go to this suburb for that and a different one for the other'.

Melb has a more 'collective' feel for me. Not doing a good job of explaining what I meant.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Each to their own right.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Yeah not much going on. The Commodore was about the liveliest. TBH though, I never found Sydney City itself to be very lively outside of work hours. DH and Cockle Bay Wharf for sure and the usual places like Glebe and Balmain but the city itself is really very quiet for such a big place.

I've never found Sydney people really keen on working and 'playing' in the same place. I liked Sydney for the competitive surfing circuit and obviously for cycle racing but all this was northern beaches or Cronulla based. Personally, if the city itself didn't exist but the jobs in places like Nth Syd, Chatswood and North Ryde did, I wouldn't miss the city at all.

I've just taken a new job in the UK, so we'll be here longer than planned but it's a global company and the chances of international relocation are pretty good. My serious surfing days are over and looking at the family needs, I can see us looking at Melbourne very seriously when we return.

I think ( and it's just my opinion), it has a better mix of ' everything/everywhere' rather than the very isolated pockets of Sydney. Meaning that Sydney has everything but a lot of the time it's a case of ' go to this suburb for that and a different one for the other'.

Melb has a more 'collective' feel for me. Not doing a good job of explaining what I meant.
Yep I wouldn't go near the city on a Saturday night out of choice. Same with the city of London - dead. Too many out of towners from the western suburbs and lock out laws. Its a much better night out in the burbs. Double Bay, Manly, Newtown, Surry Hills, Balmain. Bit like Clapham, Notting Hill, etc. Sounds like the stats in traffic are proving that way too.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lockout-laws-increase-weekend-rail-traffic-to-newtown-by-26-per-cent-20160909-grczor.html

Its actually turning into a really good thing. Lots of various entertainment areas popping up all over the place which means variety.

I'm not adverse to Melbourne. I spend a lot of time there. I could live there if I had to but for me it really lacks the scenery which helps make an atmosphere. Its extremely flat, the beaches are rather unattractive and the river is brown. I don't surf but I really like the water vibe in Sydney. A swim, body surf, a sail on the harbour, a walk along the beach, a beer at Watsons Bay, etc is far better than a stroll and a coffee on Chapel Street in my opinion.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can PM me if you like with the link. I have no idea about what website you are mentioning.
OK thanks for the PM. I didn't get a chance to trawl through the 20 odd pages of that thread to find what you are trying to demonstrate. Probably just a poster with the bitter pill about not being about to buy the 6 bedroom mansion in the eastern suburbs.

Anyhow, Sydney's population is growing, not declining, and growing faster than predicted. Bad news for the planners.

Sydney population booms and the only way is up and in
Old Sep 13th 2016, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks for the PM. I didn't get a chance to trawl through the 20 odd pages of that thread to find what you are trying to demonstrate. Probably just a poster with the bitter pill about not being about to buy the 6 bedroom mansion in the eastern suburbs.

Anyhow, Sydney's population is growing, not declining, and growing faster than predicted. Bad news for the planners.
Welcome, yes it a lot pages. No just one poster who feels that way, but times are tough for the 1st time buyers. Not just in Australia, in a lot of the major cities around the world.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by evets
Welcome, yes it a lot pages. No just one poster who feels that way, but times are tough for the 1st time buyers. Not just in Australia, in a lot of the major cities around the world.
Times are tough for first time buyers. Almost impossible. But if you want to live in the worlds great cities, whether that be London, Sydney, New York, and your priority is owning your own home, then the great cities may not be for you or just rent and let some else pay your maintainence, water, strata.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

So I finally got my offer!!

$147k inclusive of super Annuation of 9.5%. Relocation costs of up to $10k this allowance may be used towards, but not limited to, the cost of airfares, removal expenses, or temporary accommodation on arrival. However, if I were to leave within 2yrs the amount of relocation costs used would need to be paid back.
20 days annual leave (is this the norm?).

Thoughts?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
So I finally got my offer!!

$147k inclusive of super Annuation of 9.5%. Relocation costs of up to $10k this allowance may be used towards, but not limited to, the cost of airfares, removal expenses, or temporary accommodation on arrival. However, if I were to leave within 2yrs the amount of relocation costs used would need to be paid back.
20 days annual leave (is this the norm?).

Thoughts?
I can only comment on your salary if you tell me what you earn in the UK.

I had 30k for my relocation and I never used it all and included a wife + her visa, lawyers, etc. You may dip into your own money a bit but only a few grand.

Yep the leave in 2yrs bit is the norm.

20 annual leave is the norm.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

my salary in the UK is £65k plus £5k car allowance and the usual 25day leave.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

my salary in the UK is £65k plus £5k car allowance and the usual 25day leave.
2.1. Sounds about right. I wouldn't do it for under 2
Salary is fine. About normal for that job in that sector. $147,000 is a very livable salary for Sydney. If you both earn that then party on.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Will have to chat to the wife (to be) over the weekend.

I'm currently developing a budget plan together based on me living out there alone in the interim until she is able to join me.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

If we rent in the interim, would we need to pay council rates/tax or other "corporate fees"?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If we rent in the interim, would we need to pay council rates/tax or other "corporate fees"?
No. Landlord covers that. You pay elect, internet, etc. You only pay for water if you have a house.

One piece of advice, you can send yourself into mental breakdown if you analyse every single cost. Your proposed Sydney salary based in Sydney will take you a little bit further than your current London salary based in London.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Ok that's good information.

I am just trying to understand how much cash/capital I would need to cover upfront costs, such as bonds, insurances and monthly travel pass etc. before receiving a monthly salary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.