Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 10th 2016, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Evets - I didn't expect Sydney was an option...we thought Melbourne would be better as we've heard it's more like the UK but not as wet...I like the seasons..the wife (to be) doesn't as much but it's not all out her

I'm hoping to rent rather than buy until we save enough for a deposit.we want to keep our properties in the UK just for investment purposes. The salary prospects for me are between 100-150k so expecting something around 130k as a min to give that reassurance until the wife (to be) finds a job. Researching her job role as an IT business analyst we hope she would be able to secure something similar in terms of salary...does this seem about right?
Still as wet only no snow, but can feel just as cold. Houses are poorly built and have no double glazing or insulation, for the majority. As one Canadian told me, it felt colder in Melbourne that it did in Toronto.

Be prepared for a decent deposit depending on the property you are looking to buy, say $60 to $100k, maybe more depending on how the market here moves. So far no crash and properties only going up and the auction system for buying makes it hard to tell how much you are going to actually pay.

With your salary and your wifes, which could be around the same as you from what I have seen advertised, you will be well setup. IT BA roles appear to be plentiful, and suspect they are hard to offshore, going by what I see on seek.com.au, but get your wife to research as the IT job market here as it is pretty tough and she may need to upskill prior to the move. I do note that Australia has the no local experience factor which can impact migrants. Has she any Agile experience, as this seems to be the majority of roles advertised Agile BA.

She should also check out linkedin.com and glassdoor.com.au. If she uses linkedin, get her to pimp her profile. But not sure based on my own experience if it actually works.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Well not sure that is entirely true as it's on then skills shortage list.
As quoll mentioned, the SOL really needs to be addressed. Far to many roles listed that are now have far too many applicants applying for roles, IT being one of them. Accountants, teachers, pharmacists etc.

Check out some Australian forums and not expat forums for some real advice:
<snip>
Look under Jobs and Lifestyle, some very interesting threads.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 10th 2016 at 8:49 am. Reason: Removed link
Old Sep 10th 2016, 8:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
As quoll mentioned, the SOL really needs to be addressed. Far to many roles listed that are now have far too many applicants applying for roles, IT being one of them. Accountants, teachers, pharmacists etc.

Check out some Australian forums and not expat forums for some real advice:
<snip>
Look under Jobs and Lifestyle, some very interesting threads.
Evets, I have edited the link in your post as you have been making repeated references to the site. Whilst it is appreciated that there are other forums that members make use of, repeatedly referencing those forums comes across as promoting it.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you spend time on forums that are just consist of expat's or forums that are predominantly Australians. If the latter you would get this. Look at the the people that are trying to leave Sydney rather than the people trying to migrate on the Australian dream.
Can you show me these forums of people who live in Sydney who are trying to leave Sydney?
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot comment on that, as his location is North Sydney. Still the rental prices are still crazy in Sydney. My place in Melbourne is double the size and less than half the price listed and closer to the CBD.

Yes it may not come with the pool,etc but I do not have to worry about neighbours or booking the lift for deliveries.
St Leonards is a 15 minute walk from Nth Sydney.

I think you are believing in hearsay without looking at the facts. Check out what I presented to you and do your own research
Old Sep 10th 2016, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

I think you are believing in hearsay without looking at the facts. Check out what I presented to you and do your own research

St Leonards would be very fast 15min walk to Nth sydney, just, maybe in winter. What you are not considering is that is very little decent residential accommodation in St Leonards in the proximity that you could walk to Nth Sydney in that timeframe in.

Most people live quite some way down the new apartments on Herbert St (which are horrible rabbit warrens with the train running right behind them). Or they are living north side or west side of RNS or down one of the side streets towards Greenwich. Once down there you are looking at several hills.

Also 'Nth Sydney' is long. If you are working up the top end of Miller St by the art school or North Sydney Boys then maybe you could walk it. But it's a horrible walk (I used to run it) with a lot of noisy junctions the can take forever for light changes (Crows Nest etc).

If the job location is in 'Nth Sydney proper' (south of Mount or on Berry), you are looking at a good 7-8 min walk just to get from one end to the other. If it's any further (south of Blue) then even longer.

Nth Sydney is a fantastic location to work in, I did it for 9 yrs in two different offices ( both on Miller). But don't kid yourself it's a 15 min stroll from St Leonards. Having said that, the train or bus services between the two are well serviced.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
St Leonards would be very fast 15min walk to Nth sydney, just, maybe in winter. What you are not considering is that is very little decent residential accommodation in St Leonards in the proximity that you could walk to Nth Sydney in that timeframe in.

Most people live quite some way down the new apartments on Herbert St (which are horrible rabbit warrens with the train running right behind them). Or they are living north side or west side of RNS or down one of the side streets towards Greenwich. Once down there you are looking at several hills.

Also 'Nth Sydney' is long. If you are working up the top end of Miller St by the art school or North Sydney Boys then maybe you could walk it. But it's a horrible walk (I used to run it) with a lot of noisy junctions the can take forever for light changes (Crows Nest etc).

If the job location is in 'Nth Sydney proper' (south of Mount or on Berry), you are looking at a good 7-8 min walk just to get from one end to the other. If it's any further (south of Blue) then even longer.

Nth Sydney is a fantastic location to work in, I did it for 9 yrs in two different offices ( both on Miller). But don't kid yourself it's a 15 min stroll from St Leonards. Having said that, the train or bus services between the two are well serviced.
That's a nitty analysis of North Sydney. I actually don't disagree with you, but there was never any suggestion about working in Nth Syd, it was all about living.

My office is in Nth Syd, I would never live there. Its dead out of work hours.

Moving on.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nitty analysis of North Sydney. I actually don't disagree with you, but there was never any suggestion about working in Nth Syd, it was all about living.

My office is in Nth Syd, I would never live there. Its dead out of work hours.

Moving on.
Well I thought I was going a bit nuts and had missed a reference to the two places somehow (that's what I get for attempting to think on a weekend)

Where is your office? One of my roles was on level 24 of the old Optus Tower. the other one was in what became Rugby House on Miller (gawd knows what it is these days?) it was directly above 'Uncles To's'. Talking of which, we used to have team meals at the 'Malay' on Arthur St, not sure why, the food was good but the owner was the rudest knob jockey that side of the harbour
Old Sep 10th 2016, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Well I thought I was going a bit nuts and had missed a reference to the two places somehow (that's what I get for attempting to think on a weekend)

Where is your office? One of my roles was on level 24 of the old Optus Tower. the other one was in what became Rugby House on Miller (gawd knows what it is these days?) it was directly above 'Uncles To's'. Talking of which, we used to have team meals at the 'Malay' on Arthur St, not sure why, the food was good but the owner was the rudest knob jockey that side of the harbour
Its in a non descipt building in Elizabeth Plaza. To be honest, I'm rarely there these days. I spend most of my time with clients who are willing to spend money in whatever city all over SE Asia.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Evets, I have edited the link in your post as you have been making repeated references to the site. Whilst it is appreciated that there are other forums that members make use of, repeatedly referencing those forums comes across as promoting it.
Sure no worries, I thought I double checked to make sure I was not double posting.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Can you show me these forums of people who live in Sydney who are trying to leave Sydney?
Sorry, cannot post the forum as my previous post had the link removed, but google is your friend, if you care to search. You have been on this site since 2010 and not sure how long in Australia. I would assume you do not just reside just on expat forums and probably have been on the site I have mentioned.

If not, then you really cannot provide any fair comment as expat forums are some times seen through rose tinted spectacles.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I am only going by what my friend told me, I have no inclination on doing any research as I am not living there and also not wanting to relocate to Sydney. 10+ years ago may have been different. To me nowadays, I would not recommend Sydney to anyone. My reason to relocate to Australia was 9 months living in Sydney in 2001. Now when I have visited in the last few years, aside from the beaches, it has nothing on offer compared to Melbourne.

Also regarding the rental links you posted, it still does not compare to what my friend has in Melbourne which is a detached house for nearly half the price of what you posted for Sydney and much more room.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Its in a non descipt building in Elizabeth Plaza. To be honest, I'm rarely there these days. I spend most of my time with clients who are willing to spend money in whatever city all over SE Asia.
Had to look that up. I don't even remember there being such a place when I worked there, it might have been called something else. Seeing Hungry Jacks made me smile. Back in the day, right next door to Hungry Jacks was a big McDonalds. One day Hungry Jacks had a 'mysterious fire' and was shut for ages

Couple of years later McDonalds closed and an electronics place opened up there. Looks like Hungry Jacks prevailed

Nth Sydney Tavern had the stickiest carpet known to man but the did have Sega Rally. Berry St Tevern was good for a drink on a Friday and The Station pub used to do very cheap lunches if you bought a very expensive soft drink.

For a guy that doesn't drink, I spent a lot of time in pubs there.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am only going by what my friend told me, I have no inclination on doing any research as I am not living there and also not wanting to relocate to Sydney. 10+ years ago may have been different. To me nowadays, I would not recommend Sydney to anyone. My reason to relocate to Australia was 9 months living in Sydney in 2001. Now when I have visited in the last few years, aside from the beaches, it has nothing on offer compared to Melbourne.

Also regarding the rental links you posted, it still does not compare to what my friend has in Melbourne which is a detached house for nearly half the price of what you posted for Sydney and much more room.
Just curious. In your view what does Melbourne offer that Sydney does not?
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, cannot post the forum as my previous post had the link removed, but google is your friend, if you care to search. You have been on this site since 2010 and not sure how long in Australia. I would assume you do not just reside just on expat forums and probably have been on the site I have mentioned.

If not, then you really cannot provide any fair comment as expat forums are some times seen through rose tinted spectacles.
You can PM me if you like with the link. I have no idea about what website you are mentioning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.