Reload this Page >

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Hi all,

I am currently living in the South East of the UK and my fiancée and I due to get married in December 2016. We have been thinking about the future and where we would like to be, when/where to start a family etc. Our preference would be to stay in the UK but moving back up to Yorkshire/North East. However, we have also considered moving to Australia for as career/earning potential and family living prospects seem to be much better. We played with an idea of trying Australia next year and started to do some research until an Australian firm asked whether I would interested in joining them in Sydney.

Having spoken to their internal recruiter and local director then want to make me an offer today/tomorrow. They have asked if I could join them this side of December before the "big day" but I said my preference would be early 2017 which they seemed OK with.

I hadn't looked at Sydney prior to this approach but soon realised it is VERY EXPENSIVE! I think even more so than London/SE.

I would be working as a Senior Project Manager/Consultant within the Civil Engineering/Construction industry. Although the offer has not yet come through I was wondering if anyone can advise what type of package I can be expecting? I would assume typical offers would be seeking a base salary, how much should I expect for this profession? Accommodation allowance, no of flights home per year, medical insurance/care, pension, company car?

Any advice / pointers would be great.

Cheers
NHNH
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer in Sydney Australia

Originally Posted by NHNH2016

I hadn't looked at Sydney prior to this approach but soon realised it is VERY EXPENSIVE! I think even more so than London/SE.
If you leave your exchange rate approach to judging expensive at the door you soon find its cheaper than London.

Civil engineering boom time in Sydney right now. But no doubt you'll judge your offer on a straight exchange rate conversion.

2-2.5 is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 8th 2016 at 11:00 am.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, will try!

Any idea on what a good/typical package can look like?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will try!

Any idea on what a good/typical package can look like?
No idea. Some people are getting thrown some good bucks right now for some of the big projects. Some are just motoring along on what they know. As a sponsored foreigner they might throw you somewhere between 120000 and 150000. How does that sound?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Are they going to sponsor you for a visa? If so which one as I think you'll be pushed to get there even early in the New Year.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Similar to what I have seen on the websearches. They know my current UK package so would need to better it.

They have mentioned if I were to join in new year they would undertake a 457 application. They have also asked I could join this side of Christmas...the wife (to be) didn't like that one bit last night
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Similar to what I have seen on the websearches. They know my current UK package so would need to better it.

They have mentioned if I were to join in new year they would undertake a 457 application. They have also asked I could join this side of Christmas...the wife (to be) didn't like that one bit last night
Better it? What does that mean? What is better in your eyes?

Plucking a figure here, lets say you are on £50,000 per year in London, (obviously that figure goes a lot further up north) what figure AUD do you see as better for Sydney or say Brisbane as polar opposites?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Morning....

It's not just the salary, from my experience living in the UAE I realised things like housing allowance, utilities allowance, company car or allowance, medical car and 1-2 flights a year home is the sort of package I am familiar with, however unsure if this is a typical package within Australia.

I know for a fact things do cost more and I could be out of pocket so the above perks would help along way especially housing.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Morning....

It's not just the salary, from my experience living in the UAE I realised things like housing allowance, utilities allowance, company car or allowance, medical car and 1-2 flights a year home is the sort of package I am familiar with, however unsure if this is a typical package within Australia.

I know for a fact things do cost more and I could be out of pocket so the above perks would help along way especially housing.
I don't think it's helpful for you to compare UAE salary packages with those typically on offer in Australia. I'd imagine that Australian firms don't have to work as hard to attract overseas workers in your field.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get housing allowance or utilities or flight home.

You will probably get relocation. However, be aware this is normally one way. At the end of the visa you will be entitled to economy flights home but nothing else.

You will probably get some temporary accommodation on arrival for some weeks. (Usually about 4) while you find somewhere to live.

When you get the salary, do check if it is inclusive of super. That is like Oz pension and is compulsory and is about 11% of salary.

I wouldn't say it is more family friendly. It is pretty similar to working in London. In fact, generally people work longer hours and less annual leave.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

I'm not comparing salary packages, but like to understand how the packages would differ so I know what cards I am dealt- SoS.

Very S - That is good useful information, thanks very much for that. Basically that answers my question in regards to my salary expectations.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Saying 'Sydney' is not very helpful to us. Where exactly would you be based? Sydney is very big and demographics/costs vary enormously.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not comparing salary packages, but like to understand how the packages would differ so I know what cards I am dealt- SoS.

Very S - That is good useful information, thanks very much for that. Basically that answers my question in regards to my salary expectations.
Like what has been said, you won't get expat perks like in the UAE. Its more like what workers get in London - nothing but a salary and a bonus sometimes.

I'm not really sure how you are judging expensive. You seem reluctant to elaborate on that, but I can assue you from where I stand, London kicks Sydney's arse on the expense factor. Since moving to Oz I visit London a minimum of twice a year and I get shocked every time what a dent London does to the bank account. Working close to Civil Engineering in both countries the proportion of the monthly salary left in the account after usual expenses is far greater in Sydney than it ever was in London.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have it right, Sydney is expensive, not just in terms of rentals or buying but also cost of living. Friend is sharing a 2 bed in North Sydney, due to change in work circumstances which forced him to move from Melbourne, $500 per week and not anything special. Check out domain.com.au to get an idea of rentals.

As for a package, standard would be pay for your 457 visa and include your partner. Salary and Super, which is around 9.5%(hopefully for you on top of the salary), one way flight, accommodation(maybe 2 to 4 weeks, and if lucky a hire car. At one point, healthcare was on that list, but it has now been dropped. Even ask if they have a relocation package for shipment of goods.
The package you got for UAE was one of the perks getting people to come and work there. From what I understand talking to recruiters, these type of packages are disappearing.

Healthcare, Mobile, Car, Life Insurance and Disability all depend on the company. Not sure of your age but if you are over 30, then you really need to look into it as if you do not have it you will be taxed extra.

Since you are from the UK, you can take advantage of the reciprocal health care agreement with Medicare.

If you have to get private healthcare for you and your partner, it can work out expensive for a decent package. Also review Ambulance cover, what is covered by the private healthcare as not covered on Medicare, as if you do not have private healthcare and need an ambulance, it will cost you. Yearly cover is not that expensive.

Does your potential employer realise you might not get your visa approved in that timeframe. Once you get the approval, and not always 100%, then it would be best to discuss moving dates.

Would you be looking to have children in the very near future or something long term, as that would be something else to consider.

Would the company be open to sponsoring you for PR, if that is some thing you and your partner want once you have settled.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by evets
Yes you have it right, Sydney is expensive, not just in terms of rentals or buying but also cost of living. Friend is sharing a 2 bed in North Sydney, due to change in work circumstances which forced him to move from Melbourne, $500 per week and not anything special.
Ha ha. Your friend is being had. If that place does not have a pool, a gym and a view of the harbour then they should be getting out quick smart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.