Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job agencies in Aus

Job agencies in Aus

Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:42 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job agencies in Aus

Do they ever bloody get back to you ???

:curse:

Lee
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Job agencies in Aus

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Do they ever bloody get back to you ???

:curse:

Lee
Job huntings great innit
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:57 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Job huntings great innit
I've come to the conclusion that if an employment agency is involved dont bother
The only reason they get back to you is to join up with them then then never get back to you.....load of cobblers it is :curse:

Lee
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago, 178 applicants

Job hunting definately does suck!

Mandy
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I've come to the conclusion that if an employment agency is involved dont bother
The only reason they get back to you is to join up with them then then never get back to you.....load of cobblers it is :curse:

Lee
Absolutely. Scum of the earth most of them are. Worse that real esate! :curse:

When I was looking for work I signed up with about 12 agencies, I kid you not! And still had to find work off my own back - after going through all the cr*p - the registration, tests etc. Bearing in mind I had a really good CV and plenty of extremely good experience in Aus in my field - kept getting the "too good", or "overqualified" BS.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:28 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would not use an agency to find work if there was an alternative (which there usually is).
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:29 am
pink 'n' bouncy

tosspots the lot of em'
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:54 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

You are nothing to them other than money.

If a job happens to be on their desk, they pull up all suitable candidate profiles and present to the client who they think likeliest to get the job. If that client doesn't happen to like what they see then that's you disposed of.

The reason recruitment agencies keep you on file is in case another job comes up. Saves them re-advertising. It's not because of your "special skills" like they tell you

And if they bring you in for an interview - it doesn't mean there's a job. They need to boost their candidate file so they have a choice if a job comes up

The job you may have applied for, and they've asked you to come in for, might not even exist

Also, it's the recruitment agencies who advise clients who to take. That's not necessarily based on your skills....it's based on who the recruitment agency think the client is likely to take. If you've got the best skills but are 40 and someone in their late 20's comes in - they will take a chance with the younger one first as they know their clients are likely to like the "look" of the younger guy so he's a more "sure bet"

Companies are too stupid to see they are being hoodwinked by agencies into taking those more likely to be "seen" as best rather than skills set. Most recruitment agencies don't even know how that job is performed.

If a recruitment agency knows a client doesn't like females or Asians, or people with foreign accents or different coloured skin, or over 40 - the recruitment agencies rule them out. It don't matter how good you are mate

The recruitment agencies want their money so they only put forward those who "fit the bill" with the client or their perception of what the client wants. Then when it goes pear shaped the business wonders why

This industry is not regulated nor do they need a licence to ensure they cover racism, sexism, ageism and because the companies themselves pass the work on to recruitment agencies, the companies then pass the buck for not recruiting people in a fair and equitable manner. In effect no one is responsible to ensure they keep within the law on sexism, racism, ageism.

The employment game is based purely on the recruitment agent wanting a sure buck, and the employer getting what they want rather than what they need.

In effect - recruitment agencies employ the market. So be nice to them

Frightening isn't it!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

If a recruitment agency knows a client doesn't like females or Asians, or people with foreign accents or different coloured skin, or over 40 - the recruitment agencies rule them out. It don't matter how good you are mateThe recruitment agencies want their money so they only put forward those who "fit the bill" with the client or their perception of what the client wants. Then when it goes pear shaped the business wonders why

No wonder I can't get a job then as I am female, overweight, Scottish accent and over 40. Anyone got a gun???
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:57 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
[COLOR="Red"]No wonder I can't get a job then as I am female, overweight, Scottish accent and over 40. Anyone got a gun???
No. But I know a recruitment agent that has one
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
No. But I know a recruitment agent that has one
you have to register with their agency first mind
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by rabsody
you have to register with their agency first mind

You must have the same one as me then
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:27 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even pluck up the courage to contact any. Heading for 46, was in a senior position in the UK but no degree, so not sure where to pitch myself, and haven't had a "proper" job for over 6 years.

It's enough to turn a woman to drink; is it 5 o'clock yet? Yes it must be, somewhere in the world.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Seasider
I can't even pluck up the courage to contact any. Heading for 46, was in a senior position in the UK but no degree, so not sure where to pitch myself, and haven't had a "proper" job for over 6 years.

It's enough to turn a woman to drink; is it 5 o'clock yet? Yes it must be, somewhere in the world.
To be honest it all depends what kind of work you are looking for, level of salary and responsibility. The closer you are to "normality" or "acceptable" then the luckier you could be.

An example - if you're willing to work in Coles on the meat counter - look greatin a hairnet and white overalls, well Australia thinks that's a lovely job for a girl your age so you'll do damn fine You could even be a dinner lady, tuckshop lady, PA [not secretary, sorry...too old]....or an Admin clerk, or office manager.

If however on the other hand you're not a bad looking 46 year old, with excellent skills, intelligent, smart, quick, willing to make improvements, worked in senior positions before, can give the men a good run for your money and are prepared to make changes in business for the better.

Then forget it.

What are you....mad
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

My wife also had really bad time with the main ones in Sydney CBD..had to go through all the tests, stress, etc and nothing came of it.

I'm sure that most agencies (UK & Oz) advertise jobs in newspapers that they don't actually have, just to get you to sign up with them.

When I moved jobs at one point in the UK, I signed up with a few agencies. After hearing nothing for a few months from the first one, I called them to be told, "We have put your CV forward to many companies, but they report back that your are not of a suitable social background" What the hell did that mean...I guess that they knew you could not argue with it i.e. if they said you do not have the right qualifications, work experience etc, you could say you did, but social background. BTW at that point I was 27, single, solvent, no police record and from a good family background. Maybe they were looking for drug dealers or something?

The second agency just threw a couple of company names at me and asked if I was interested in working for them. No actual care about how either I suited the poistion or the company would have wanted me.

My wife did find a job through a much smaller agency outside of the CBD in the end, that did seem a bit more professional and respectable...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.