Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Advertising/Discrepancies????

Job Advertising/Discrepancies????

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:25 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Advertising/Discrepancies????

Ive recently applied for and been successful in gaining what appeared to be a pretty good job...

BUT,
the advertisement specified a salary guide ($50-60k) dep upon experience etc like they do...+bonuses + super etc

well, not to blow my own trumpet, im over skilled/qualified for the position, but appreciated id possibly have to go in a bit lower than i want and work up etc, yet theyve now dropped/offered $5k below the advertised wage - and stated they would never pay the higher level advertised, that their exectutive chef who oversees their three restaurants isnt on $60k...they did say they would pay performance bonuses to make the wages upto the $50k mark - if i met the targets.

I did a trial and all went well, I then met an owner to discuss my/their expectations, he said he'd get back to me with wage specifics as he needed to discuss with other partners etc, so I wasnt given this information until the end of my 1st shift, so im feeling pretty disillusioned with the role already!

To top it all the hours advertised are incorrect too.
Needless to say i have applied to other positions but im wondering if this is normal or even legal as it does seem really wrong...
or do i get on with it???

Last edited by katsmajic; Nov 2nd 2008 at 9:26 am. Reason: sp
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Advertising/Discrepancies????

I think if it were me, I would take the job if only for the Australian experience and keep looking for something else. It may look like a great position, but at the end of the day do you really want to work for a company that is dishonest in the very beginning? I would also make a point of saying that the lowest wage advertised is $50k, so you expect to be paid at least that much. If they don't keep you on then you're really in no worse shape than you were before.

Be firm and don't let them walk all over you.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:22 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy, I have told them that hence them making the wage upto $50k if i make the bonuses - they havnt explained the bonus 'specifics' in full yet though...
koh was laid off work so need to work, but will just do it til something more honest and reliable comes along i think.
thanks for replying xxx

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think if it were me, I would take the job if only for the Australian experience and keep looking for something else. It may look like a great position, but at the end of the day do you really want to work for a company that is dishonest in the very beginning? I would also make a point of saying that the lowest wage advertised is $50k, so you expect to be paid at least that much. If they don't keep you on then you're really in no worse shape than you were before.

Be firm and don't let them walk all over you.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:47 am
broken but got a visa! :

Well, been for a trial in another restaurant - and loved it!!! find out tomorrow if i get the job - fingers crossed please....

i spoke to the 'new' boss, mentioned my predicament and he was horrified...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it. Sounds like you're well rid of the other one. BTW, you're not still broken, are you?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Well, been for a trial in another restaurant - and loved it!!! find out tomorrow if i get the job - fingers crossed please....

i spoke to the 'new' boss, mentioned my predicament and he was horrified...
Fingers and everything else crossed for you, let us know and sounds like you are well rid!!!!

Nikki
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:17 pm
broken but got a visa! :

Hiya,
Im defying the doctors - I can ride my bike, do a shuffle/jog, dance (like no ones watching) and walk 3+ks before i start limping!!!

Surgeon said id be lucky to any of the above and pretty much ruled out ever doing some of them ever again - the heat here has definately helped...as has bloody mindedness

Work wise i wont find out til further down the line i guess but im coping doing splits at the mo and not having much prob, stiffening up etc at end of shift but then i havnt worked for over a year now.
Thank you for asking xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Good luck with it. Sounds like you're well rid of the other one. BTW, you're not still broken, are you?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That dry Adelaide heat's a good remedy for lots of ills. I suffer from arthritis in my knees, ankle & hands. That dry summer heat used to be so good for my poor stiff joints.

Good luck on the job front. Hopefully you'll get the job you want and can tell the other one who's messing you about to piss off.