Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jet Lag - Advice Please

Jet Lag - Advice Please

Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:18 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jet Lag - Advice Please

I find that I don't suffer from jetlag if I can leave the UK during mid-morning and arrive at the other end (doesn't matter whether in the US or in Oz) late afternoon or early evening.

I then make myself stay up till about 8.30pm local time and wake up the next morning - no jetlag at all.

I drink lots of mineral water on the plane, no alcohol, and eat mostly my own sandwiches.

(I have never managed to sleep on a plane so far. Flying from the US to the UK, I've often ended up leaving late eveing local time and arriving very early morning local time - then I feel jet-lagged.)

Gina
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
I pick myself up from the floor after falling from hysterical laughter
Well I have gone between the US and the UK a few times, also done the UK to Aus and back a few times and have never suffered even a yawn. So there are a few of us out there who just don't get jet lag. Obviously the majority probably do.

When we flew over this time, I know we broke our flights in Singapore for a few days but not even the girls were out of kilter with sleep patterns and they both slept different amounts of time on the planes. Got here early morning, carried on as normal, went to bed at normal time and all was fine.

I wouldn't say it doesn't exist though, that would be daft. Just realise we are some of the lucky ones.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

In the past everything I've heard hasn't worked when I tried it, but this time someone told me about a tablet called, funnily enough 'No Jet-Lag' here in the States and 'Jet Lag Ease' (possibly slightly more realistic) in Australia, can't remember what they call it in the UK, but you can buy it, they sell it at Heathrow. It's a homeopathic pill that you take throughout the flight, and it worked wonders.

In the period of one month we flew from US to UK, UK to Australia (via Bahrain & Singapore, with a 12 hour stop over in Bahrain), back to the UK, then back to the US about a week later . The pills ran out for the last flight back to DC, and lo and behold that was the only time we got jet lag...on the journey we don't usually get it!

We'd also noticed that jet lag always seems worse in winter, but a scientific and highly knowledgable friend has told me that this has something to do with whethr the back of your knee sees light...I don't really understand why, but she is usually right about everything so I will take her word for it. She told us we should shine a torch at the back of our knees. I haven't tried it yet, but I will.

Suzi
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

here's the website: http://www.nojetlag.com/
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well I have gone between the US and the UK a few times, also done the UK to Aus and back a few times and have never suffered even a yawn. So there are a few of us out there who just don't get jet lag. Obviously the majority probably do.

When we flew over this time, I know we broke our flights in Singapore for a few days but not even the girls were out of kilter with sleep patterns and they both slept different amounts of time on the planes. Got here early morning, carried on as normal, went to bed at normal time and all was fine.

I wouldn't say it doesn't exist though, that would be daft. Just realise we are some of the lucky ones.
It would be interesting to see if there is any detectable physiological difference between those who get jetlag and those who don't.

I was involved in a research study some ten years ago into sleep patterns on longhaul flights but this made no real reference to jetlag except as a contributory factor to sleep deprivation.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
here's the website: http://www.nojetlag.com/
An interesting site although it does perpetuate some longstanding myths - for example the one about drinking lots of water. All that does is to make one pee a lot more often!

It is difficult to argue with people who have found it effective but I have a very cynical view of homeopathy.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
An interesting site although it does perpetuate some longstanding myths - for example the one about drinking lots of water. All that does is to make one pee a lot more often!

It is difficult to argue with people who have found it effective but I have a very cynical view of homeopathy.

My husband is the biggest cynic I know and there's nothing he likes more than saying I told you so, but he couldn't but agree that it had worked on both of us.

As for the water... surely it goes without saying that you should drink plenty of water on any flight, I'm sure that keeping well hydrated in that atmosphere can only help your body, although the constant peeing is a pain esp. if you are in the window seat!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by suzimc
My husband is the biggest cynic I know and there's nothing he likes more than saying I told you so, but he couldn't but agree that it had worked on both of us.

As for the water... surely it goes without saying that you should drink plenty of water on any flight, I'm sure that keeping well hydrated in that atmosphere can only help your body, although the constant peeing is a pain esp. if you are in the window seat!
Certainly keep hydrated, but that doesn't actually take very much water - anything on top is merely in my case a short-term rental! And I've peed my way past hundreds of thousands of miles <g>.

(Too much information.....)
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Certainly keep hydrated, but that doesn't actually take very much water - anything on top is merely in my case a short-term rental! And I've peed my way past hundreds of thousands of miles <g>.

(Too much information.....)
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Such an interesting subject (Well, it is for me) that I *had* to poll you all in a new thread!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I've not looked at the link.

Off the top of my head (cos I cant be bothered to look up my text books), I suspect that there is a physiological reason for needing to drink more water.

The levels of oxygen in the planes are not the same as being on the ground. So, for your body to receive the amount of oxygen needed, the number of breaths per minute increases or your heart beats faster or both. All of these are more work for the body which means a slightly higher (practically undetected) temperature. Also, additional breaths means losing more water than usual.

Think I might check with my phys tutor
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I've not looked at the link.

Off the top of my head (cos I cant be bothered to look up my text books), I suspect that there is a physiological reason for needing to drink more water.

The levels of oxygen in the planes are not the same as being on the ground. So, for your body to receive the amount of oxygen needed, the number of breaths per minute increases or your heart beats faster or both. All of these are more work for the body which means a slightly higher (practically undetected) temperature. Also, additional breaths means losing more water than usual.

Think I might check with my phys tutor
Sounds plausible.

One effect I always have is that my skin gets really "oily" when flying. I suspect that your body tries to excrete an impermeable membrane to prevent water loss.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Sounds plausible.

One effect I always have is that my skin gets really "oily" when flying. I suspect that your body tries to excrete an impermeable membrane to prevent water loss.
Good point - my skin (and hair!) does that too.