Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:33 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

re:Parramatta

It's ok, nothing sparkling, but they've done it up a lot over the last year or two, and it has nice shops, cafes, cinema, frequent trains and decent restaurants. It's much cheaper to live here than the city or the eastern suburbs, yet it's only a 30 minute train ride or drive from the city - depends how far you want to live from the city or the beaches. To get to say, Coogee or Bondi beach at the weekend, it takes around 50 minutes in the car. Parramatta is the biggest CBD outside the city centre in the whole of Sydney apparently. House prices much more reasonable.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:36 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
We are originally from Bradford, West Yorkshire

Now in Adelaide

Yes we love it here.
we;re from sheffield, and then leeds.

love OZ, coming up to 4 years for us..., not found as good a curry as in bradford yet
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:39 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
re:Parramatta

It's ok, nothing sparkling, but they've done it up a lot over the last year or two, and it has nice shops, cafes, cinema, frequent trains and decent restaurants. It's much cheaper to live here than the city or the eastern suburbs, yet it's only a 30 minute train ride or drive from the city - depends how far you want to live from the city or the beaches. To get to say, Coogee or Bondi beach at the weekend, it takes around 50 minutes in the car. Parramatta is the biggest CBD outside the city centre in the whole of Sydney apparently. House prices much more reasonable.
Cheers,

I think it's certainly somewhere we will consider when we buy.

Graham
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:43 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjonboy

love OZ, coming up to 4 years for us..., not found as good a curry as in bradford yet
any other Yorkshire folk in Sydney??
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Well, It sounds like I've led a charmed life, Starting out in Crewe(well a village just outside) the posh end of Cheshire You can take the girl outta crewe.....!
And then moving to stoke(well newcastle-under-lyme but it may as well have been stoke) It was indeed voted the worst place in britain I think ozzieagle and lets just say we're not in a rush to get back there from Perth. Hard to find somewhere that looked bleaker than Stoke on a grey day when the incinerator stacks were burning.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny Kay
When your next door neighbour gets an axe in the back of the head and you have two kids and a wife who is scarred to go out because off all the drug dealers they have up there and because i work for the emergency services and you are attending at least one shooting incident per week.
Yes i am a soft shit its not a place i would want to bring my family up in. Maybe thats why you left?
Hello Danny

I didn't realise it had gotton that bad. It's always been a bit rough, glassings and stabbings and the 11 o'clock kickings (axings normally only a couple a year). But I've never seen any shootings.

Eek maybe your right it's not the best envionment to fetch up the young Keels.

The news here in Perth is always on about the trouble here on weekends but a normal weekend here is about as bad as a normal weekend at home but with about 20 times the population ie Ashington 60,000 Perth nearly 2 million.

Keel
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:10 pm
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

I should of course point out that South Yorkshire is vastly superior to West Yorkshire!

And yes, Stoke is an absolute toilet. I had the misfortune of going there in 1994. Not a great experience.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
We're from Sunderland. Been in Oz a little over 3 years now and really settled in Rockingham, WA. Went to S'land in May but couldn't wait to get back home.Terry
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:34 pm
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

Maybe because I work in the emergency services sector i am privy to see a lot more than those who dont.
I can say Northerners do not seem to tolerate any hassle they stand firm even if that means serious injuries. It keeps me in a job Theo never bored plenty of idiots out there never mind just at weekends its now 24/7.

Danny
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:08 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny Kay
When your next door neighbour gets an axe in the back of the head and you have two kids and a wife who is scarred to go out because off all the drug dealers they have up there and because i work for the emergency services and you are attending at least one shooting incident per week.
Yes i am a soft shit its not a place i would want to bring my family up in. Maybe thats why you left?
I went to school in Bedlington and it sounds like its changed an awful lot. We used to go out drinking at the Red Lion and another little pub down the other end where the shops are (can't remember its name). Mind you, that was a long time ago now.

My dad was brought up in Halifax. His parents used to manage the golf club. He only has a slight Yorkshire accent now, its been replaced with a Northumbrian one.

Jane
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
I should of course point out that South Yorkshire is vastly superior to West Yorkshire!

And yes, Stoke is an absolute toilet. I had the misfortune of going there in 1994. Not a great experience.

I am from West yorks and love It! Won't have a bad word said about it
But i am now living in Newcastle under Lyme almost in Stoke and yes it is a sh## hole, it has got worse in the 4 years I have lived here, don't know how OH managed to get me here. Hence our move to Aus, if it don't work out it's back to Yorkshire for us. Yorkshire lass through and through!!! We are heading for Perth, hopefuly Jan/Feb 07.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leechy100
I am from West yorks and love It! Won't have a bad word said about it
But i am now living in Newcastle under Lyme almost in Stoke and yes it is a sh## hole, it has got worse in the 4 years I have lived here, don't know how OH managed to get me here. Hence our move to Aus, if it don't work out it's back to Yorkshire for us. Yorkshire lass through and through!!! We are heading for Perth, hopefuly Jan/Feb 07.
As you can see i am about 10 miles north of manchester in a town called Rochdale.Typical of a northern textile industrial town which flourished during the industrial revolution. However i have noticed a big change in the last 10 to 15 years. Most of the manufacturing has iether shut down through cheaper imports or moved abroad.The town center and market areas are dirty and full of shops selling very cheap products and i cannot think of one decent store in the place. To put it bluntly it is catering for its Market. There are usually young yobs hanging about the place who can be very intimidating and make you feel uncomfortable. Anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the town center really needs a good makeover but i doubt it will ever happen.Indeed i feel the future is bleak for most northern towns and i think we can lay most of the blame on the greedy companys out there whos only interest is making as much money as possible for its investors who have decided to manufacture abroad.Hence a lot of young people who would have been in these type of jobs are now wandering the streets .

Last edited by raven; Oct 3rd 2006 at 2:28 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Firth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really nice

Hi Danny

We're also from Halifax (the drinking capital of the north!!) and hoping to head for Brisbane, only just going for meds and PC's end of this month.
The waiting is agony................

Diane & Mark
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:08 pm
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Firth4oz
Hi Danny

We're also from Halifax (the drinking capital of the north!!) and hoping to head for Brisbane, only just going for meds and PC's end of this month.
The waiting is agony................

Diane & Mark
Nice to no we are not on our own be prepared for a long haul.

Xrays Bupa Elland Meds lindley way just past entrance to A&E Hudds no problems really calm nice female Doc.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy

I don't eat them that often (no so keen on spicy food) but my hubby loves his, he has started making his own and I must say they taste yummy.

I should get him to sell them shouldn't I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.