Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under

And then there's Sydney. Yep, it has plenty of gorgeous areas, but has anyone been to Granville? Liverpool? Cabramatta? Bankstown? Punchbowl? Horrible places.

There's good and bad wherever you go, that's for sure. Maybe the whole thing about moving here and starting again is that people feel they can choose where to go.... ? I know I'd choose this place over Crewe... and that Perth after Oldham seems like a godsend...
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:16 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
And then there's Sydney. Yep, it has plenty of gorgeous areas, but has anyone been to Granville? Liverpool? Cabramatta? Bankstown? Punchbowl? Horrible places.
Hi Brian,

How do you find Parramatta?? What part are you in??

Graham
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borolad
paved the cenotaph at newbiggin by the sea in jan 04 bloody baltic there
Aye your right. I left Perth feb 06 (39 C) and passed the Cenotaph in Newbiggin 2 days later 0 C.

You did a good job though!

Keel
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny Kay
Albeit i,m not in Oz yet but soon to be. I am from Halifax and can not wait to move I have lived in York (RAF) did my Paramedic Training at northumberland Lived in Bedlington Worked at Tynemouth Amb Station. Could not wait to leave very rough place to live and work.

Danny
Sorry to hear you think Bedlington is rough you may have gotton it confused with the station, you soft shite.

Keel
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb
...and Im a Boro fan :scared:

yeah..although should i be sending you my sympathies..bad start to season so far..I am a fan though

Im from the boro, hemliington..tough place..like me..lol

going to live in Yunta, nearest big town will be Peterborough, in NSW is that far enough North of south, if u get my drift.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:35 pm
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by keel
Sorry to hear you think Bedlington is rough you may have gotton it confused with the station, you soft shite.

Keel
When your next door neighbour gets an axe in the back of the head and you have two kids and a wife who is scarred to go out because off all the drug dealers they have up there and because i work for the emergency services and you are attending at least one shooting incident per week.
Yes i am a soft shit its not a place i would want to bring my family up in. Maybe thats why you left?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by keel
Aye your right. I left Perth feb 06 (39 C) and passed the Cenotaph in Newbiggin 2 days later 0 C.

You did a good job though!

Keel
done our best for yea
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:12 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Whitby Wanderers
Ang used to own a fish and chip restaraunt in Whitby so you never know, your paths might have crossed already!

We haven't found it hard to feel "at home " here at all really. We stop renting and move into our own home in three weeks time which for us will be the final bit of the transition jigsaw..and we can't wait.

We were walking along the beach on Coochiemudlo Island the other day....just like we used to walk along Whitby beach.....imossible to compare, but easy to enjoy either just for what they are.
Fish & Chips seem to be big in Aus, bigger than I ever expected, shop are all over the place. Buying your own place I think makes a big difference to settling properly. Do find a lot less rocks on the beachs than in the UK but at times they look nice but just don't have as much character as a rugged North Eastern beach.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My observation over numuerous years in this country, is that there seems to be a far higher proportion of Northern People migrating to this country than Southerners.
Thats just a theory by the way
I seem to meet more Yorkshire and Lancashire people and lots of Scots with a few token Southerners and an odd North Easterner.

Originally Posted by marcbolam
I thought Easington was a mining village (no miners now though after maggies revolution !! scab she was!!) near a small town in county durham called sunderland.
There is Easington Village, Easington Colliery and Easington Lane. 1st one farming village last two were pit villages and all near Sunderland.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about Australia, but I live in Manchester and it's FULL of the buggers.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get anywhere Grim mer than Grim sby so I beat you guys hands down. From a tiny 3 bedroom terraced to 2 1/2 acres don't think I could go back to being able to see into your neighbours place. Rural's not everyone's cup of tea but we're tradies and are where the work is, also central to most things, Hervey Bay one hour North, Sunshine Coast one hour South and Brissie a couple of hours away. Enjoy visiting Brissie but always love to get back amongst the ferals (oops wildlife )

Debs
xxx
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yehp gotta concur with that, Grimsby was voted the worst bleakest depressing place to watch an away night midweek football match, By Palace fans at least.

Overall for some reason, Stoke was voted the worst town in the UK, mostly by Stoke residents. I dont have much experience of the place. Is there any truth in this. You would make The stoke bro's (all 4 of them that i work with) happy that they got migration right.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by monoak
Hi

Originally from Co.Durham and living in Melbourne. I love Australia and would not swap my new life for the world. I think the North East of England is very grim. Will never go back!!!!!!!!
Co. Durham wasn't all grim it could be a lovely place, full of every social class going and every sort of landscape nearly would go back there if I ever returned but quite happy to stay put in QLD. Left a lot of good friends behind downside of Aus is you can't ship them all out.

Last edited by annqldau; Oct 3rd 2006 at 8:34 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by paulb
As you well know Ann...we are from the beautiful village of Sedgefield in the County of Durham.

Now in Melbourne and feeling quite happy...but missing our friends in Brisbane (....see you on 22nd November ..ish)
Quite a few from Co. Durham now. We have you on the calander and the beer mugs chilling at the bar... .

Did he say he's letting his standards slip has tickets for Aus v's Paraguay just forgot to get me one... .

Don't forget you can always move back just come to the good side next time... .
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by cresta's conscience
You can't get anywhere Grim mer than Grim sby so I beat you guys hands down. From a tiny 3 bedroom terraced to 2 1/2 acres don't think I could go back to being able to see into your neighbours place. Rural's not everyone's cup of tea but we're tradies and are where the work is, also central to most things, Hervey Bay one hour North, Sunshine Coast one hour South and Brissie a couple of hours away. Enjoy visiting Brissie but always love to get back amongst the ferals (oops wildlife )

Debs
xxx
The other half has been to Grimsby but I haven't did nearly buy a cast iron bath from there but then found one local.

Think you've done very well with your latest des res and sure you could fit a bigger freezer in all that empty space... .
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 10:10 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Hebburn/Jarrow, not far from Sunderland. My sis in law has just sold her house and is buying in Jarrow just around corner from where we lived, guess where the couple are moving to.... yep Australia

Love being here, but could equally love being back home again I sometimes think there's more to life than sunshine, as beautiful as it is, it just gets so boring after a while. I never attempted to get away from the UK, just wanted to live abroad for a while. While the scenery here is definitely different to what you get in the north east of England it tends to be a bit repetative, whereas England has many surprising areas with little hidden gems with heaps of history ect it just isn't the same here IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.