Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's going down in Sydney

It's going down in Sydney

Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:52 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's going down in Sydney

Good grief, scary stuff. Just watching it live on ABC now. Hope everyone comes out alive...
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I am suggesting what has been building up for the last six months. Have you not been following the news?

This isn't just an isolated incident, as I'm sure you know. This is a network of extremists with one aim, and that is to attack the western world. They might all be from different groups, different countries, per say but it isn't just about an isolated incident, the picture is bigger. I'm sure you know that.

My husband works in London, Bond Street to be precise and they have had to have emergency drills the last few months in case the inevitable happens. And it will, it might not be today, or next week, but it will happen at some point.
What I do know is the biggest enemy is fear and over reaction. Best to get a handle of events before jumping on conclusions.

I wonder why you assume with certainty that an event of some magnitude will take place in London at some stage? Not saying it won't but any reason for you feel beyond attacking the western world?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
OH has been in lockdown, but says that his office at least is being sent home by car- no trains from where he is at Circular Quay.
Being sent home from Circular Quay? My husband is practically next door and they have had an email "suggesting" that they might want to stay inside. I wonder how well equipped Australia is to deal with the situation, it must be unprecedented here.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Swerv-o and Beoz. Are you in the city?

Not today. I used to work in Martin Place, but now I work in Milson's Point. And if there was a terrorist event here, then the rest of the world wouldn't find out for days...

S
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
What I do know is the biggest enemy is fear and over reaction. Best to get a handle of events before jumping on conclusions.

I wonder why you assume with certainty that an event of some magnitude will take place in London at some stage? Not saying it won't but any reason for you feel beyond attacking the western world?
I totally agree about fear being an enemy, that's why these groups do the things they do, to spread fear. That's how they work.
Speaking for myself here, I don't need to get a handle of events, I have a good idea on what is going down here. Haven't you?

I think all major western cities, of the countries who have had an involvement with the extremists have something to worry about, not just London.
My husband presumes London as the next target because of what has been going on there lately with regards to security and safety procedures.

Who knows, nothing could happen for months, but something could happen tomorrow, it's the not knowing and this is where the fear factor kicks in.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Not today. I used to work in Martin Place, but now I work in Milson's Point. And if there was a terrorist event here, then the rest of the world wouldn't find out for days...

S

Glad you are safe.

Lol@ the rest of the world not knowing, sounds like a place where I used to live...
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Being sent home from Circular Quay? My husband is practically next door and they have had an email "suggesting" that they might want to stay inside. I wonder how well equipped Australia is to deal with the situation, it must be unprecedented here.

Evacuating Circular Quay is plainly overreacting. It's nearly a mile away from Martin Place!

S
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Phew! Bet your wife is pleased about that.

I hope it works out too.
Well I'm more pleased that's she's not going to meet her colleagues for lunch as planned. Trains are not stopping at MP which would have been her stop.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well I'm more pleased that's she's not going to meet her colleagues for lunch as planned. Trains are not stopping at MP which would have been her stop.

I bet!

We are driving up tomorrow, not looking forward to the drive to be honest. Anything over two hours and I'm bored senseless.

for the people of Sydney.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:20 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

This is awful to watch on ABC. The hostages in the Lindt Cafe are being made to hold up a flag in the window with Arabic writing on. They look absolutely terrified
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I bet!

We are driving up tomorrow, not looking forward to the drive to be honest. Anything over two hours and I'm bored senseless.

for the people of Sydney.
I'm sure it won't hamper your holiday.

Take the coast road or drive in via the mountains. The Hume Highway is pretty boring.

As a side note. News coverage is pretty thin on detail at the moment.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No not entirely. Just a long time between rounds. Bombings have occurred in Sydney but nothing this century.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:05 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Me thinks it's Chris955
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting and horrible news to wake up to.... I'm going for a walk up to my local shopping district here in Coburg (Melbourne's Islamic center) to see how crowded it is, and see what the mood is.

BTW thought I saw a ISIS flag on the back of a Hummer on Sydney Rd Brunswick yesterday... but it was this one... a big difference luckily I checked, as this kind of thing can cause an over reaction.

Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:27 am
Banned

jvisions is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've head from my family in Sydney things are ok outside the actual shop itself. Luckily they work a few blocks away and make coffee at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.