Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's been a long, long time!

It's been a long, long time!

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future
Default Re: It's been a long, long time!

Originally Posted by melibeam
This is a fantastic thread, I am eagerly looking forward to the next installment. You should definitely write a book!

Love

Mel
Hiya Crone

I'm sat here at work in Shipley, Bradford near your home village of Baildon.

If you want any pics of the place as it is now, or of the area i would be glad to send em to you by e-mail

Your stories are great! hope my life down under has as much adventure.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:04 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by leedslad
Hiya Crone

If you want any pics of the place as it is now, or of the area i would be glad to send em to you by e-mail

May you live in interesting times.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Quinkana
May you live in interesting times.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:10 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

"May You Live in Interesting Times"
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Thats a bit too intellectual for me :scared:

Last edited by leedslad; Feb 8th 2005 at 10:26 am.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could help the interesting times along by taking the right oppertunities, going for the adventure, taking risks......
At the moment, I'm to lazy and a wimp, but who knows what the future holds.... I do take after my father after all....
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Or you could help the interesting times along by taking the right oppertunities, going for the adventure, taking risks......
At the moment, I'm to lazy and a wimp, but who knows what the future holds.... I do take after my father after all....
What are you on about girlie? I always thought you and your folks had been quite adventurous.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
What are you on about girlie? I always thought you and your folks had been quite adventurous.
Oh, sorry, yep, I meant my dad was adventurous, still is, and maybe I'll become more adventurous one day too, but for now moving to Perth is enough
I can't see myself living in the suburbs and working as a receptionist for ever though
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Hiya Crone

Where abouts in Shipley do you work? I live in Nab Wood.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:08 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Fortunately the caravan was clean and well equipped with a new bottle of gas; fortunate too that I knew exactly where all our belongings were packed. It wasn't long before the billy was boiling for coffe and a stew, mostly made from tinned ingredients was bubbling away on the stove and the beds were made. Will and M. were carrying furniture and cartons into the apartment. I knew I was expected to go and help, but I was in no mood to do so; I needed a little time and space, peace and quiet for myself.
Tomorrow would be time enough to get involved with the kitchen, the restaurant and the other family.

By Friday, a morning routine had begun to emerge. M. and I would open up the cafe and service station around 6.30 am. M. would serve petrol while I was waitress, cook, shop assistant and washer-up in the other half of the business - though to be fair, M. would help whenever he wasn't busy on the forecourt. Will would put in an appearance about an hour later and make tea, a cup of which he would take to Amy. He would then sit at a cafe table to drink his in leisurely fashion, regardless of how busy we were : only at 8.30 would he stroll out to join M - invariably leaving his dirty cup on the table. It's funny how sometimes it's the small things that are most annoying!

But I could cope with this. Custom was steady, if not brisk and I soon began to recognize and chat with the regular customers. Both they and a petrol company rep. who'd called told me that weekends, beginning on Friday evenings, would be our busiest times. We could expect surfers going up to Noosa or Tewantin for the weekend; families on outings to the Glasshouse Mountains; and others coming south for a weekend in the city. I pointed out to Will that if the influx did arrive, I would need far more help from Amy than I was getting; I suggested that she should be on hand from 8am onwards, especially at weekends. He fixed me with a gravely reproving look and replied that she was always busy with the children at that time. To which I retorted that she also had a half-share in the business and a responsibility towards that, too; and maybe they needed to examine their priorities?
To give her her due, Amy was, under direction, becoming a reasonable kitchen-hand. She made sure there was a supply of prepared salad ingreients for hamburgers, cleaned counters, washed dishes, swept and mopped the floor. She would not, however, venture into the cafe, serve in the shop or make any attempt at cooking; and she had a weird habit of suddenly dropping whatever she was doing, grabbing the smallest child and running into the flat, from which she would emerge quarter of an hour later and take up the task in hand as if there had been no hiatus.
Strange!
Matters came to a head on Saturday lunchtime. M. and Will were busy at the pumps, I was making half a dozen hamburgers for waiting customers when another four people came in and sat at a table.
"Go and take their order, please", I asked.
"I can't!" she responded.
"Oh yes you bloody can!", I hissed. "Get out there, put a smile on your face , tick off what they want on this order form and bring it back here! Simple! Just do it!"
"I can't!", she said again.
Exasperated, I threw down the spatula.
"You get out there and do it - right now! If you don't, I'm telling you I'm walking out of this kitchen -RIGHT NOW - and I won't be back!"
Like a zombie, she picked up the pad and walked into the cafe. Returning a few moments later, she carefully placed the pad on the bench - and promptly fainted at my feet.
Ten year old Jenny slipped from her stool at the bench and said solemnly "Mummy can't cope with stress, Auntie, that's why Daddy and I have to look after her. I'll go and get him now".
Just found this thread - how did I miss it before ???

C'mon TC, please finish the story. What happened when Amy came round ?

How long did you stay working at the station? How did you end up in Perth ?

Nosy aren't I ?

You should come along to our Perth Ladies Coffee mornings and teach all us young'uns about how to live life properly and adventurously. Karma on its way to you for such a fabby thread
M
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:41 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Ah yes, and you mentioned somewhere else living in Darwin for 3 years, I guess that's still to come too!

How's the English teaching going?

Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Simone
Ah yes, and you mentioned somewhere else living in Darwin for 3 years, I guess that's still to come too!

How's the English teaching going?

Please please continue the story

Sheila
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

JAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant futureJAR123 has a brilliant future

Very addictive reading.
Keep it coming please.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 3:28 pm
Whinging pom.

costabeera is an unknown quantity at this point

Aw come on - what happened next?

This must be like the children feel waiting for the next Harry Potter book
Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying you sharing your adventures and life with us.

Thank you

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.