Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Items from US Online stores that won't ship to Aus?

Items from US Online stores that won't ship to Aus?

Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Items from US Online stores that won't ship to Aus?

Originally Posted by Wol
Whereas in Singapore you'd probably have it the day before yesterday <g>.
Hell no, they can't drive manuals there. They can't drive automatics either, for that matter.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:19 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hell no, they can't drive manuals there. They can't drive automatics either, for that matter.
No, very unfair. Why, only last month I saw someone indicating they were continuing around a roundabout AND ACTUALLY DID!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:27 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
as long as they are prepared to put gift and less than 1,000 bucks in Value on the Item, then you will never ever pay duty... Postal Goods hardly ever attract import duty. Whereas DHL and Fed Ex, seem to cop a lot.
So there is Duty on products purchased and sent via Courier ?

Why does it matter if it's market as a "gift" ? How does that affect it's taxable status ? If it being a "gift" is makes it excempt from duty if under $1k then isn't that trying to put it under the radar when it's merely a purchse.

Not trying to play Devils Avocado here, but I am really interested in the legality of how this works and the practice of how it's enforced by AusPost/Customs.

Al
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
So there is Duty on products purchased and sent via Courier ?

Why does it matter if it's market as a "gift" ? How does that affect it's taxable status ? If it being a "gift" is makes it excempt from duty if under $1k then isn't that trying to put it under the radar when it's merely a purchse.

Not trying to play Devils Avocado here, but I am really interested in the legality of how this works and the practice of how it's enforced by AusPost/Customs.

Al
I was under the impression, before Amazulus comments about the 1000 dollars worth of goods, that many items carried a duty component. My understanding is that Gifts do not carry a duty component. It seems for insurance purposes that DHL and Fed Express customers have to state exactly what is in their packages, whereas postal items dont.

Thats my understanding of the situation, and yes indeed, it is an under the radar situation.

I've another question related to this thread though, can anyone answer my wifes question... what about clothes sizes and if they dont fit... I guess that would be tough luck ?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:38 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression, before Amazulus comments about the 1000 dollars worth of goods, that many items carried a duty component. My understanding is that Gifts do not carry a duty component. It seems for insurance purposes that DHL and Fed Express customers have to state exactly what is in their packages, whereas postal items dont
Exactly my point. I thought the $1k was for personally bringing goods into Australia when returning from a trip abroad, as stated by Customs (see below)

Originally Posted by Australian Customs
The following duty-free concessions are available to travellers provided that they do not exceed the specified amounts.

Group 1 - general

A$900 worth of goods (A$450 for people under 18) including gifts (given to you or intended for others), souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment. Alcohol and tobacco products cannot be included in this concession.

These goods can be:

* obtained overseas
* purchased in Australia duty or tax free before departure
* purchased from an inwards duty free shop on arrival.
Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4352
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:47 pm
No Clean Feed

OK, solved.

Originally Posted by Australian Custsoms

When buying over the internet

All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes. Refer to example 1.

Some goods commonly purchased over the Internet that are, or contain, restricted items may be detained or seized by Customs. These include:
  • performance-enhancing medicines, including steroids and health supplements containing restricted substances;
  • medications, both traditional and alternative such as herbal preparations;
  • videos, DVDs, CDs and books/publications with objectionable or offensive content;
  • wildlife souvenirs and products;
  • plant seeds;
  • electronic dog collars;
  • electronic hand-held insect zappers
Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Well that clears that up then...

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 16th 2008 at 10:49 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
OK, solved.

Source: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Well that clears that up then...

Al

Funny that you should mention that hand held insect zapper.... I got stopped at Tullamarine last time round 3 years ago. My case contents where searched. They had spotted my Illegal hand held fly killer, wrapped up amongst my jocks..... Boy when I saw that little beauty in the UK, My eyes lit up, as I anticipated getting revenge on those little buggers that had spoiled many an pleasant outdoor day, by feasting on my BBQ before me. It was all a bit embarrassing.

What I'd like to know, how comes Poms are more trustworthy with these instruments of justice than us here in Aus ?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that you should mention that hand held insect zapper.... I got stopped at Tullamarine last time round 3 years ago. My case contents where searched. They had spotted my Illegal hand held fly killer, wrapped up amongst my jocks..... Boy when I saw that little beauty in the UK, My eyes lit up, as I anticipated getting revenge on those little buggers that had spoiled many an pleasant outdoor day, by feasting on my BBQ before me. It was all a bit embarrassing.

What I'd like to know, how comes Poms are more trustworthy with these instruments of justice than us here in Aus ?

Come on - they won't trust us with airsoft guns here, so the hand held insect zapper is going to be right out!

Nanny state anyone?

S
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Come on - they won't trust us with airsoft guns here, so the hand held insect zapper is going to be right out!

Nanny state anyone?

S
Well, mine works just fine <g>.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Nanny state anyone?

S
I have a radio control tank that I brought from the UK that fires small, soft plastic pellets. Big kids toy I know, but my son and I love playing with it and shooting at various 'targets'. Recently I was looking at another RC tank in a local hobby shop and there is a sticker on the box stating 'shooting mechanism disabled for Australian market'. WTF. These things are NOT dangerous. 18 year olds driving knackered V8 Commodores are okay but toy guns are not. Bizarre.

There's something wrong there.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have a radio control tank that I brought from the UK that fires small, soft plastic pellets. Big kids toy I know, but my son and I love playing with it and shooting at various 'targets'. Recently I was looking at another RC tank in a local hobby shop and there is a sticker on the box stating 'shooting mechanism disabled for Australian market'. WTF. These things are NOT dangerous. 18 year olds driving knackered V8 Commodores are okay but toy guns are not. Bizarre.

There's something wrong there.

I find myself totally unsurprised by that story. I guess the Aussies just can't be trusted not to have somebody's eye out with a 6mm plastic BB...

S
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:03 am
No Clean Feed

Technically you can obtain Airsoft into Australia, you're just not allowed to use them.

As a sports shooter with multiple licenses covering all firearms in Australia (handguns and rifles) I can tell you that Australia, while being tough with a lot of red tape, is nowhere near as restrictive as you think. Providing you have a legitimate reason to own (i.e. sport shooting competition, hunting) and you can prove this with attendance at comps, SSAA membership, club membership, etc.

Airsoft Replicas really only have one use which is simulation man-on-man engagements. However, that said Paintball is legal here without a license as if Lazer Skirmish both of which could be classed as a para-military activity. They also tend to be very accurate replicas of current military hardware and as I'm not allowed to own a Knight's Armament SR-25 because the Australian Special Forces have just bought 200 of them (and I actually know how to use one) I'm pretty sure they won't allow a near identical Airsoft copy into the country! *gripe over*

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 17th 2008 at 6:11 am.