Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

iSeries or AS400 Jobs/Consulting in Melbourne

iSeries or AS400 Jobs/Consulting in Melbourne

Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:20 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: iSeries or AS400 Jobs/Consulting in Melbourne

We've moved into the Entity Framework and use a lot of LINQ etc... It's quite refreshing not to be writing SQL queries anymore, but actually treating database entities as objects.

The bonus with using Visual Studio, MSSQL Server etc... is that they all fit together extremely well and you just get on with delivering software instead of getting bogged down with wondering how you're going to achieve it.

There was a time when I was a little negative towards Microsoft and was happy doing both RPG and .Net, but times have changed and I'm happy to forget about AS/400 technology (I don't even use it on my CV anymore). I guess I've never been a 'suit guy', so maybe that's it.

(I used to hate the field name limitation, with fields along the lines of ONORNO, ONORLN, ONORSP, ONORQT)

Last edited by coolshadows; Jun 17th 2010 at 12:26 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

simfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nice

Originally Posted by coolshadows
We've moved into the Entity Framework and use a lot of LINQ etc... It's quite refreshing not to be writing SQL queries anymore, but actually treating database entities as objects.

The bonus with using Visual Studio, MSSQL Server etc... is that they all fit together extremely well and you just get on with delivering software instead of getting bogged down with wondering how you're going to achieve it.

There was a time when I was a little negative towards Microsoft and was happy doing both RPG and .Net, but times have changed and I'm happy to forget about AS/400 technology (I don't even use it on my CV anymore). I guess I've never been a 'suit guy', so maybe that's it.

(I used to hate the field name limitation, with fields along the lines of ONORNO, ONORLN, ONORSP, ONORQT)
Hi, Coolshadows,
I love both IBM and Microsoft technologies. In IT field, I'm always a hotshadows. I have fairly excellent skills in .Net & C#, SQL 2005, XML etc. I'm still using Sybase which was architecturally adopted by Microsoft many years back to develop SQL Server, if you go back to history. Anyway, my point is, How about the salaries, If I'm going to work on .NET C#, SQL Server 2008 platforms based on your experience? By the way, do not take me wrong
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:36 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simfaisal
Hi, Coolshadows,
I love both IBM and Microsoft technologies. In IT field, I'm always a hotshadows. I have fairly excellent skills in .Net & C#, SQL 2005, XML etc. I'm still using Sybase which was architecturally adopted by Microsoft many years back to develop SQL Server, if you go back to history. Anyway, my point is, How about the salaries, If I'm going to work on .NET C#, SQL Server 2008 platforms based on your experience? By the way, do not take me wrong
There are far more .Net jobs than AS/400 jobs. Salary wise there are well paid positions in either (for the right person ). Currently there is a shortage of .Net skills, and this area is one of the biggest growing sectors of the IT market.

Regarding IT skills, you are better serviced by concentrating your IT skills in a certain area, and expanding on your knowledge of business processes and functions.

The old adage, 'jack of all traders, master of none' comes to mind . If you are experienced in .Net then you'll be spending much of your non-development time researching and expanding your .Net knowledge, continually reviewing your code etc...