Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:45 am   #1
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,864
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Irrelevant posts removed from 'So was it worth it...' thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzles View Post
Hello there poppy913,

Without meaning to be rude or prying, am I correct to guess that you're not British? The only reason I'm asking this is that the questions you posted reminded me so much of the same ones my (Concord College-schooled but decidedly very non-British) wife bombarded me with when we first got granted the Skilled Independent Sub Class 175 some 10 years back.

Please don't get me wrong - those are not bad questions to ask - but due in part (OK, largely) to those questions, I've burned through 2 lapsed 175s and am now on my third Skilled Independent 189 - with 4 years left on the clock and we are still unsure whether or not to finally move over to the homes we bought years ago, in Sydney or Melbourne.

We just returned from our validation visit (to Melbourne this time, also to get a pesky leak patched up in the house coincidentally) over Easter, and after what, a decade of pinging and ponging, we are no closer to a final decision.

The issue that's been the main stumbling block is money. Apparently, I make too much of the blasted stuff in Singapore (where I've been based for the past 25 years - ergo the non-British better half), and with laughably low income taxes in Singapore and parity of the currency value to the AUD, not to mention one of the world's highest GDP per capita, a move to Sydney or Melbourne can feel like it's a step off the First Class cabin of the Venice-Simplon Orient-Express and into the grunge class interior of the Northern line between Goodge Street and Tooting Bec on the Tube (well, OK, it was grungy when I lived in Camden all those years ago).

I believe I'm not too far off the mark to say that one would need to factor in a "premium" multiplier of at least double of their present take home pay in order to enjoy a similar lifestyle in Sydney and quite possibly Melbourne, especially in the face of increasing consumerism and rising prices in the wake of the Mainland Chinese invasion, I mean, visitors.

And the last job offer I had, from a company in Sydney, the best they could do was - after taxes - about only 20% of my existing post tax income in Sterile Singapore. Give me boring any day.

Looks like the 188 visa is the next visa I have to apply for when my time on the 189 runs out....
So why are you looking at moving to Australia if Singapore is so good and you make too much money there?

If you like Singapore so much, stay there

Bizarre

Australia is good if you want to live in a wealthy, 1st world, relatively eglitarian, full-spectrum Western country with a great lifestyle - with one of the trade-offs being high taxes. Australia is a Western nation in Asia but it is not Asian

Just live where you are happy dude and can make a buck. It ain't rocket science!
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:32 am   #2
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 699
xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
So why are you looking at moving to Australia if Singapore is so good and you make too much money there?
Because I can afford to decide where I want to be doesn't mean I need to be there right away, and it's always good to have an exit strategy. I never saw Brexit coming, for example.

Quote:
If you like Singapore so much, stay there

Bizarre
I am in Singapore at the moment. There's nothing bizarre about it. I did my math, and the 189 was a good back up plan - and it will remain as a back up plan for my needs at the moment.

Quote:
Australia is good if you want to live in a wealthy, 1st world, relatively eglitarian, full-spectrum Western country with a great lifestyle - with one of the trade-offs being high taxes. Australia is a Western nation in Asia but it is not Asian

Just live where you are happy dude and can make a buck. It ain't rocket science!
You will have no argument from me about that. Singapore (for the rich) is also a wealthy, 1st world if somewhat elitist, full-spectrum developed nation with an incomparable lifestyle and with the whole of Asia as a playground at her doorstep - with none of the high taxes. Singapore is a Westernized nation in Asia but (thankfully in some aspects), it's not Western - funny that, coming from me).
xizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:41 am   #3
Card Carrying Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 22,864
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzles View Post
Because I can afford to decide where I want to be doesn't mean I need to be there right away, and it's always good to have an exit strategy. I never saw Brexit coming, for example.



I am in Singapore at the moment. There's nothing bizarre about it. I did my math, and the 189 was a good back up plan - and it will remain as a back up plan for my needs at the moment.



You will have no argument from me about that. Singapore (for the rich) is also a wealthy, 1st world if somewhat elitist, full-spectrum developed nation with an incomparable lifestyle and with the whole of Asia as a playground at her doorstep - with none of the high taxes. Singapore is a Westernized nation in Asia but (thankfully in some aspects), it's not Western - funny that, coming from me).
I'm still confused

You love Singapore and make too much money there - why do you even need an exit strategy? Singapore is on an upward slope and that ain't going to end anytime soon. Nothing to worry about

Australia is not Singapore, yet you are constantly finding fault with Australia (too expensive, not enough money, not dynamic enough). Why even bother trying to move here? Australia is a great place but nothing like Singapore (thank heavens) and you move here because of the lifestyle, security, prospects and all the things you would expect from an advanced, 1st world country

Reading your posts and it sounds to me like you are debating with yourself!
__________________
Australia/UK - Same sh*t, different bucket
The Wallaby, still the bitch of the Springbok.
Amazulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:28 am   #4
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzles View Post
You will have no argument from me about that. Singapore (for the rich) is also a wealthy, 1st world if somewhat elitist, full-spectrum developed nation with an incomparable lifestyle and with the whole of Asia as a playground at her doorstep - with none of the high taxes. Singapore is a Westernized nation in Asia but (thankfully in some aspects), it's not Western - funny that, coming from me).
I'm not sure these 2 are a selling point nor correct respectively.

Most of Asia is a shithole. Why would you want to live next to it?

Tax on cars, booze, medical (which bloody bit), cost of housing.

Are you really ahead?
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:56 am   #5
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 699
xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
I'm still confused

You love Singapore and make too much money there - why do you even need an exit strategy? Singapore is on an upward slope and that ain't going to end anytime soon. Nothing to worry about

Australia is not Singapore, yet you are constantly finding fault with Australia (too expensive, not enough money, not dynamic enough). Why even bother trying to move here? Australia is a great place but nothing like Singapore (thank heavens) and you move here because of the lifestyle, security, prospects and all the things you would expect from an advanced, 1st world country

Reading your posts and it sounds to me like you are debating with yourself!
Woah, hold your horses, young fella.

I'm not knocking Australia - in fact, I love it. It's just that I love Singapore too.

Just because Singapore's great doesn't mean Sydney isn't. Or Melbourne, for that matter. It's just Singapore's great for me, at this point in time, with the fire's still going strong in my belly, and my career/job prospects being the way it's going. The key point is *at the moment*.

Australia's more of a back up plan for *later*. I wouldn't want to retire in Singapore, but I can easily envisage spending the rest of my days in Australia.

Doing my best (as is everyone else, I dare wager) to having my cake and eating it too, that's all.
xizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:04 am   #6
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 699
xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
I'm not sure these 2 are a selling point nor correct respectively.

Most of Asia is a shithole. Why would you want to live next to it?

Tax on cars, booze, medical (which bloody bit), cost of housing.

Are you really ahead?
Let me clarify my statement:

Asia's lovely. Bali, for example - you have throngs of Aussies making a beeline to Bali. Heck a lot closer to Bali from Singapore than Sydney, mate.

Phuket. Krabi. Sipadan. Boracay. Come on, surely even you have to admit those are attractive places for the typical Western tourist with chronic Vitamin D deficiency.

If that's not quite your type, there's always Angkor Wat, Borobudur, the Rice Terraces of the Philippines and yeah, even the Botanic Gardens in Singapore to satisfy the culture vulture in even the most demanding amongst us.

And I'm also happy that Singapore's not entirely "Western" in the sense she keeps her borders closed to riff-raffs and unsavory types, while happily accepting high net worth individuals and highly skilled types to better her economy. I'm sorry, but I'm simply not left leaning enough to believe in the socialist/labour style of state-sponsored welfare, and having 50% of my hard earned dough handed back to the Government for more of their hare-brained schemes to help "save the poor" (i.e. win more votes at the next election).
xizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 8:25 am   #7
Beoz 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,558
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzles View Post
Let me clarify my statement:

Asia's lovely. Bali, for example - you have throngs of Aussies making a beeline to Bali. Heck a lot closer to Bali from Singapore than Sydney, mate.

Phuket. Krabi. Sipadan. Boracay. Come on, surely even you have to admit those are attractive places for the typical Western tourist with chronic Vitamin D deficiency.

If that's not quite your type, there's always Angkor Wat, Borobudur, the Rice Terraces of the Philippines and yeah, even the Botanic Gardens in Singapore to satisfy the culture vulture in even the most demanding amongst us.

And I'm also happy that Singapore's not entirely "Western" in the sense she keeps her borders closed to riff-raffs and unsavory types, while happily accepting high net worth individuals and highly skilled types to better her economy. I'm sorry, but I'm simply not left leaning enough to believe in the socialist/labour style of state-sponsored welfare, and having 50% of my hard earned dough handed back to the Government for more of their hare-brained schemes to help "save the poor" (i.e. win more votes at the next election).
Bali is a shithole. Phuket is marginally better. Have they started those flights again to the Tioman Islands or is it still a 10 hour boat ride?

You will find a thread on here I posted once about finding a weekender place from Singapore. I got minimal stuff.

Ended up in Langkawi. Again another shithole tossed up tourist trap.

Lets opt for a city break. Jakarta - shithole. KL - shithole. Hang on wait there's Hong Kong - darn its a 3 hour flight.

PS I forgot Manilla. Now that place is the wild west. Madness. Interesting place. Lots of guns.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 19th 2017 at 8:30 am.
Beoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:36 am   #8
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 699
xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So was it worth it after all the sweat/tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Bali is a shithole. Phuket is marginally better. Have they started those flights again to the Tioman Islands or is it still a 10 hour boat ride?

You will find a thread on here I posted once about finding a weekender place from Singapore. I got minimal stuff.

Ended up in Langkawi. Again another shithole tossed up tourist trap.

Lets opt for a city break. Jakarta - shithole. KL - shithole. Hang on wait there's Hong Kong - darn its a 3 hour flight.

PS I forgot Manilla. Now that place is the wild west. Madness. Interesting place. Lots of guns.
Your mileage may vary, different strokes for different folks and one man's meat is another woman's orgasm... or did I get the last one wrong?
xizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 8:10 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com