Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interviewed, References checked. But?

Interviewed, References checked. But?

Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:05 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interviewed, References checked. But?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
...............................Thinking of the thousands of hours I've spent over the last 7 years doing selection criteria I am still at the "Cut and paste paragraph and a primed CV" comment
Yeh, but Badge works on a help desk answering phones and has delisions of grandeur
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yeh, but Badge works on a help desk answering phones and has delisions of grandeur
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shuvo27
@Bermuda, I am not such a selfish guy to think of only myself, lot of my friends are already here for few months and some are about to come. The industry and the Govt. itself should look at itself and decide how they are gonna welcome us.This is bulllllshittt man. If you are really running out of skilled people and you really need outsiders then why don't they just arrange a training and teach about this Local ways of running business for the new recruits. Instead of making people frustrated. The govt\DIAC itself is spending a lot of time and money for selecting and smoothing the process of bringing in Engineers. And if those engineers come here and work in the shops, loose their technical edge and some of them go back or move to some other countries, whose loss would it be?

You are absolutely in cloud cukoo land. Why would the Australian tax payers want to fund a lod of courses to help you settle in or whatever it is you feel you need. You got a visa on the basis that you had something to offer Australia, not because of what Australian tax payers could give to you to help you find your feet. It is a tough old world out there and we each have to make our own way in it. I know I am fortunate to have been born into a first world country but even first world countries have their challenges and not everything is handed out on a plate. If you think it is then you need to adjust your mindset.

And I still *really* don't know what you are so upset about. You got a job in two weeks. Charw has been looking for a few weeks. These are not unusual timelines. Lose the victim mentality because it is not endearing.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:15 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Quick tip- don't do any of these in the interview

http://work911.com/articles/humorinterviews.htm
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

@Bermuda, I am not such a selfish guy to think of only myself, lot of my friends are already here for few months and some are about to come. The industry and the Govt. itself should look at itself and decide how they are gonna welcome us.This is bulllllshittt man. If you are really running out of skilled people and you really need outsiders then why don't they just arrange a training and teach about this Local ways of running business for the new recruits. Instead of making people frustrated. The govt\DIAC itself is spending a lot of time and money for selecting and smoothing the process of bringing in Engineers. And if those engineers come here and work in the shops, loose their technical edge and some of them go back or move to some other countries, whose loss would it be?
I have to agree with Bermudashorts you are delusional !!!

It is nothing to do with the Government.... its the industry. The industry dictates who gets an interview or not, its the industry decides if you are going to get a job or not.... Industry pays the $$.

The government only takes the $$ in the form of tax... they cant make the industry give a job to shuvo27 or anyone else. The government doesn't care if people come and lose their technical edge and go back to their country of origin..... they just replace them with more employable applicants.

Don't confuse a +ve skills outcome with employable success.....The litmus test is the employer who pays the $$.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Aug 7th 2010 at 9:30 am.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:21 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quick tip- don't do any of these in the interview

http://work911.com/articles/humorinterviews.htm
They are brilliant

An applicant came in wearing only one shoe. She explained that the other shoe was stolen off her foot in the bus."

"He took off his right shoe and sock, removed a medicated foot powder and dusted it on the foot and in the shoe. While he was putting back the shoe and sock, he mentioned that he had to use the powder four times a day, and this was the time."

"... announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger and french fries in the interviewer's office."
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:42 pm

They are brilliant

An applicant came in wearing only one shoe. She explained that the other shoe was stolen off her foot in the bus."

"He took off his right shoe and sock, removed a medicated foot powder and dusted it on the foot and in the shoe. While he was putting back the shoe and sock, he mentioned that he had to use the powder four times a day, and this was the time."

"... announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger and french fries in the interviewer's office."

I would love these to have been on film
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God I don't...is all I can say. In fact IT support/hardware would be my worst nightmare!

I have a lot of time for hardware people.

Pollyana - there is no sodding justice is there!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I once applied for a government job. It took a week to put together all the info they required and after a few tries I found out through mates in government that usually the jobs are alrady earmarked anyway

Cut and paste paragraph and a primed CV - not for the kind of positions I go for
What sort of positions do you go for?

I gave up with a government application once as it seemed they were asking the same questions repeatedly..

The primed CV and cut and paste is just to get through to the agent - sometimes there is more work to do later on - but I can see some people taking it very seriously. Depends on the role. The process can vary and I have had STAR questions in an interview but often they just want to see how you respond to the set.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

shuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You are absolutely in cloud cukoo land. Why would the Australian tax payers want to fund a lod of courses to help you settle in or whatever it is you feel you need. You got a visa on the basis that you had something to offer Australia, not because of what Australian tax payers could give to you to help you find your feet. It is a tough old world out there and we each have to make our own way in it. I know I am fortunate to have been born into a first world country but even first world countries have their challenges and not everything is handed out on a plate. If you think it is then you need to adjust your mindset.

And I still *really* don't know what you are so upset about. You got a job in two weeks. Charw has been looking for a few weeks. These are not unusual timelines. Lose the victim mentality because it is not endearing.
My post was not about being upset, was there just to warn the people of how they should prepare for the coming days when they will come. Who is asking for taxpayer money to train people? It is the company's responsibility to train new guys and prepare them and then make money using them. So many times we see in news about corporates asking about lack of skilled people for them to recuruit, when there are many experienced engineers working as salesman or cleaners just because they could not impress the agents. You have to understand none these people's 1st language is English and it will take only 2-3 months of working in an english environment to catch up with the fluency. If you give a guy a chance to prove him he will try his best and contribute to the economy,if you just negate him in a phone call, it won't do any good to any party.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:01 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What sort of positions do you go for?

I gave up with a government application once as it seemed they were asking the same questions repeatedly..
They often do. However if you want the job badly enough then you will jump through whatever hoops are put in front of you in order to get it
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My post was not about being upset, was there just to warn the people of how they should prepare for the coming days when they will come.
Warn them about what though. That they won't be met off the plane by company representatives queuing up to sign them on? That in fact it might take two weeks to find work? I would think most newcomers would not feel they need a warning about this because most newcomers don't expect everything to be handed to them on a plate when they land.

Who is asking for taxpayer money to train people?
You said "The industry and the Govt. itself should look at itself and decide how they are gonna welcome us" and then started on about courses and training you expect to be provided with. I can only re-iterate, you got a visa on the basis of what you can give to Australia. Not because Australian tax payers and companies like the look of you and want to spend money on further training for you.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 7th 2010 at 5:13 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They often do. However if you want the job badly enough then you will jump through whatever hoops are put in front of you in order to get it
You're in a line of work you enjoy too which is everything. Not just line, but area too (if that makes sense).

I wouldn't want to jump through hoops when there are less hoops elsewhere!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

shuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Warn them about what though. That they won't be met off the plane by company representatives queuing up to sign them on? That in fact it might take two weeks to find work? I would think most newcomers would not feel they need a warning about this because most newcomers don't expect everything to be handed to them on a plate when they land.

You said "The industry and the Govt. itself should look at itself and decide how they are gonna welcome us" and then started on about courses and training you expect to be provided with. I can only re-iterate, you got a visa on the basis of what you can give to Australia. Not because Australian tax payers and companies like the look of you and want to spend money on further training for you.
If you talk sense, thousends come here on protection visa/ asylum visa showing fake papers, bullshit stories of harassment stories, wallop centerlink money here for years and even work on cash and don't bother about paying tax. I see thousends of drug addicts doing nothing but surviving on doul and you don't have headache about that, but you have problems on where a little investment would contribute 100 times more on the economy and tax return. That's called ignorance.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:06 am
Home and Happy

If you talk sense, thousends come here on protection visa/ asylum visa showing fake papers, bullshit stories of harassment stories, wallop centerlink money here for years and even work on cash and don't bother about paying tax. I see thousends of drug addicts doing nothing but surviving on doul and you don't have headache about that, but you have problems on where a little investment would contribute 100 times more on the economy and tax return. That's called ignorance.
Its not, its called common sense. I didn't waltz straight into a job when I got here, but I didn't blame it on Australian business or on the government. Nor did I expect them to design training courses for me. Doesn't matter where you come from, when you move somewhere else under your own steam as a conscious decision you should accept the responsibility for sorting yourself out when you get there. Its just something that goes along with migration. There are plenty of training courses available to people in Australia, at all levels, why should they design something just for migrants.
Why on earth you should expect the people who live here already to fork out cash from their taxes to help train new arrivals in a multitude of roles. I can't imagine. Its YOUR decision to come and live here, not theirs.

As for bringing drug addicts into it, I can't honestly see what that has to do with training new migrants and helping them get jobs! Nor do you know what anyone thinks about it as its way outside the subjects discussed in this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.