Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet Issues - Any help appreciated

Internet Issues - Any help appreciated

Old May 4th 2017, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Issues - Any help appreciated

Okay just to give an update. I called a Licensed electrician to come in and replace the socket and got my landlord to pay for the same. Once the socket was changed, still there wasn't any improvement in speeds. I again went back to optus and told them that the issue still persists and they should let me out of the contract if they are not able to fix the problem. Couple of days after that suddenly my speeds jumped to 5.7 - 6 MBPS. Not sure how, what they did. But anyways, it is surely good now and has been for the past couple of weeks. Now I hope it stays that way. We get NBN in the first quarter of 2018, so just need this to work reasonably till then, even though I have heard horror stories from current Optus NBN customers.
Old May 4th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness me. Good is 6-7mbps? Oh my. Over here, fibre optic gives 1Gbps, average speed is about 300-500mbps, and cable broadband hovers at around 100mbps.

My house is Sydney is on an ASDL (for the tenant) - I reckon I'll be in for a culture shock when he moves out and I move in!

Anyway, I'm glad you got your issues sorted. Fingers crossed they stay sorted!
Old May 5th 2017, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, that's the ADSL2+ speeds here. I was in for a culture shock when I learnt that cable internet was not possible in the area I live. I did not have anything other than cable in the US. So anyways, this is much better than the 1.5-2.0 I was getting. At least I can stream something now.
Old May 25th 2017, 7:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just to follow up, I've found this unofficial map, which might be of use to people, particularly if moving or arriving.

NBN MTM Alpha

There maybe areas that are wrong, but it gives a good idea of what and where, eg

Old May 26th 2017, 3:08 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically since posting in this thread I have recently changed from ADSL2 to NBN and my download speed has dropped significantly. I was regularly getting 10 to 12 Mbs but now am lucky if I can get 2Mbs at peak times but it improves to about 10Mbs outside peak hours. Its fibre to node and a 150m copper run to the house but performs way worse than ADSL did. Optus can shove it up their bums if that's the best they can do.
Old May 26th 2017, 3:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Ironically since posting in this thread I have recently changed from ADSL2 to NBN and my download speed has dropped significantly. I was regularly getting 10 to 12 Mbs but now am lucky if I can get 2Mbs at peak times but it improves to about 10Mbs outside peak hours. Its fibre to node and a 150m copper run to the house but performs way worse than ADSL did. Optus can shove it up their bums if that's the best they can do.
And there is your problem.

Move to someone like Aussie Broadband who have cut Optus out from supplying the backhaul - specifically because they were c**p (and if you do, tell me first so we can arrange to get goodies for the referral).

Mine slows down on the international bits still, but basically stays up to max on the domestic during peak times.

Last edited by GarryP; May 26th 2017 at 3:55 am.
Old May 26th 2017, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Try FAST.COM or SPEEDOF.ME as speed testers.

Choose a time of day where you think it should not be busy, and one more when you assume it's peak time.

Measure these two time slots daily for a week and see what your results are.
Old May 27th 2017, 3:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Your modem or router settings/configuration site will tell you the speed that you are getting - much more accurate than a web-based speed test
Old May 27th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazulu: Obviously you don't get what the point of the speed test is. A router won't give useful info. in this case.
Old May 29th 2017, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Optus has been extremely poor and I am fed up with them. I guess I need to just wait out the contract period now and somehow work with what I am getting.